Share this @internewscast.com

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — A judge investigating the July 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse issued a final report on Monday that indicts his widow, Martine Moïse, ex-prime minister Claude Joseph and the former chief of Haiti’s National Police, Léon Charles, among others.

The indictments are expected to further destabilize Haiti as it struggles with a surge in gang violence and recovers from a spate of violent protests demanding the resignation of current Prime Minister Ariel Henry. A total of nearly 50 suspects were indicted in the 122-page judge’s report.

Charles, who now serves as Haiti’s permanent representative to the Organization of the American States, faces the most serious charges: murder; attempted murder; possession and illegal carrying of weapons; conspiracy against the internal security of the state; and criminal association.

Meanwhile, Martine Moïse and Joseph are accused of complicity and criminal association.

Charles could not be immediately reached for comment. Neither Joseph nor the spokesman for Martine Moïse’s attorney responded to messages for comment.

Others who face charges including murder are Christian Emmanuel Sanon, a Haitian-American pastor who visualized himself as Haiti’s next president and said he thought Moïse was only going to be arrested; Joseph Vincent, a Haitian-American and former informant for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration; Dimitri Hérard, presidential security chief; John Joël Joseph, a former Haitian senator; and Windelle Coq, a Haitian senator whom authorities say is a fugitive.

Sanon, Vincent and Joseph were extradited to the U.S., where a total of 11 suspects have faced federal charges in the slaying of Haiti’s president. Three have been sentenced.

Meanwhile, more than 40 suspects are languishing in prison in Haiti awaiting trial, although it was not immediately clear how quickly one would be held following the judge’s findings issued Monday.

The the report released Monday said: “We were able to discover with insight the degree of participation and the role of each of the groups of delinquents who joined together under the influence of Machiavellian plans developed between authors, co-authors, accomplices and henchmen for the purposes of assassinating President Jovenel Moïse.”

U.S. prosecutors have described it as a plot hatched in both Haiti and Florida to hire mercenaries to kidnap or kill Moïse, who was 53 when he was slain at his private home near the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince.

The attack began late July 6 and ended July 7, according to witnesses.

Martine Moïse and others who were interrogated said they heard heavy gunfire that began around 1 a.m. and lasted between 30 to to 45 minutes before armed men burst into the bedroom of the presidential couple.

Moïse said she was lying on the ground when she heard the attackers yell, “That’s not it! That’s not it! That’s not it!”

She said the suspects made a video call to identify the exact location of what they were searching as they killed the president. She added that she was face down when the suspects tilted her head and tugged on one of her toes “to ensure that she wasn’t alive.”

Once they left, Moïse said she dragged herself on the ground and whispered to her husband that she was going to try and go to the hospital.

“That’s when she noticed that the president was dead and that his left eye had been removed from the socket,” the report stated.

Moïse said a group of about 30 to 50 police officers were supposed to guard the presidential residence, but the judge noted that only a handful of officers were present that night. One officer told the judge that he heard explosions and a voice through a megaphone saying, “Do not shoot! It’s a DEA operation! US Army! We know how many officers are inside. Exit with two hands lowered.”

Another officer said the head of security of the first lady found her “in critical condition” surrounded by her two children. He said he also saw an undetermined number of people coming out of the president’s residence “with briefcases and several envelopes in their possession.”

Inspector General André Vladimir Paraison said the president called him at 1:46 a.m. and said, “Paraison! Man, hurry up! I’m in trouble! Come quickly and save my life.” He said he encountered heavily armed men and couldn’t access the residence immediately.

The judge’s report noted that some police officers at the residence were disarmed and handcuffed, while others “had time to throw themselves down a ravine” for safety.

It also noted how “none of the police providing security to the head of state was in danger. Unfortunately, the head of state was assassinated with ease.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
23-year-old woman shot in leg on NYC street

23-Year-Old Woman Injured in NYC Street Shooting: Growing Concerns Over Urban Safety

In a bustling Queens neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon, a 23-year-old woman, seemingly…
Readers sound off on tunnel funding, NYC unions and online safety

Public Weighs In: NYC Tunnel Funding, Union Dynamics, and Online Safety Concerns in Focus

The Gateway delay was a costly poke in the eye Manhattan: The…
Los Angeles Unified Superintendent Alberto Carvalho is a critic of ICE, LAUSD Chief Jim McDonnell wants protesting students to chill

Los Angeles Unified Superintendent Alberto Carvalho Criticizes ICE Policies, while LAUSD Chief Jim McDonnell Urges Student Protesters to Remain Calm

The Superintendent of Los Angeles schools, Alberto Carvalho, is facing criticism for…
Search underway for driver swept away by SoCal floodwaters in San Bernadino

Authorities Launch Search for Driver Carried Away by Southern California Floodwaters in San Bernardino

In San Bernardino on Tuesday, a dramatic rescue unfolded when a driver…
Ex-FBI official flags possible scam as third alleged Nancy Guthrie letter emerges

Former FBI Agent Estimates Timeline for Advanced DNA Testing in Nancy Guthrie Disappearance Case

TUCSON, Ariz. – Cutting-edge DNA technology, which integrates forensic DNA analysis with…
AOC claims her gaffe-filled Munich performance was ‘well-received’ by Europeans: ‘Distract from the substance’ 

AOC Defends Munich Speech as Europeans Applaud Amidst Criticism Over Gaffes

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, representing New York, defended her performance at the Munich…
Trans dad's family describes 'profound pain and loss' after deadly ice rink shooting

Heartbreak and Healing: Trans Dad’s Family Shares Grief After Tragic Ice Rink Shooting

The family of Robert Dorgan has spoken out, expressing the “deep pain…
JD Vance speaks out on Eileen Gu's decision to compete for China instead of US in Olympics

JD Vance Comments on Eileen Gu’s Choice to Represent China Over the US in the Olympics

On Tuesday, Vice President JD Vance weighed in on the ongoing debate…
Teen in tactical gear arrested after allegedly charging toward US Capitol with loaded shotgun

Teen in Tactical Gear Arrested Near US Capitol with Loaded Shotgun

An 18-year-old man from Georgia, reportedly armed with a loaded shotgun, was…
Third suspect, known as 'Prophetess,' indicted in Kingdom of God Global Church forced labor case

Self-Proclaimed ‘Prophetess’ Charged in Global Church Forced Labor Scandal

A federal grand jury in Michigan has charged a third individual in…
Talent on Loan From God: Trump Honors El Rushbo in Powerful Video 5 Years After His Passing

Trump Pays Tribute to Rush Limbaugh: A Heartfelt Video Remembrance Five Years On

Reflecting on my journey, there’s one influence I can’t ignore—Rush Limbaugh. Without…
Florida conservationists save vision of endangered African rhino with 'bleeding eyes'

Florida Conservationists Restore Sight to Endangered African Rhino Suffering from Rare Eye Condition

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — It might sound outlandish to herd a…