5.9k Share this
MISSION VALLEY —
A two-alarm fire prompted evacuations at an apartment complex in Mission Valley on Sunday, officials said.
The fire was reported about 3 p.m. at CentrePoint Apartments on Friars Road, just west of Fashion Valley Mall and north of Riverwalk Golf Club. It appeared the fire started on a second-floor balcony, a battalion chief said.
Firefighters found smoke billowing from the roof of an apartment and determined the fire had spread to a shared attic, said San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Battalion Chief David Pilkerton. Crews called for a second-alarm to summon additional resources.
Crews reported that the fire was under control about 3:40 p.m.
Pilkerton said solar panels on the roof made it difficult for firefighters to reach the attic. He added that blown-in insulation, which tends to smolder, will force firefighters to stay at the scene for several hours to ensure the fire doesn’t spread or reignite.
The Red Cross was called to assist, but it was unclear how many residents were displaced. Further information, including a damage estimate, was immediately available.
Source: This post first appeared on sandiegouniontribune.com