3.9k Share this
Victoria is urging residents to get their Covid booster jabs after the new Omicron variant appeared in half of wastewater sequencing results.
Victoria recorded its highest daily case number on Wednesday with 9,426 new infections as authorities warn people to protect themselves against the new contagious Covid variant, BA.2.
Covid Response Commander Jeroen Weimar said it is important Victorians to get their booster shots before winter moves in and BA.2 takes hold as the dominant strain.
Victoria recorded its highest daily case number on Wednesday with 9,426 new infections as authorities warn people to protect themselves against the new contagious Covid variant, BA.2
‘It’s really important that we use this time to get themselves protected with that third dose,’ he said.
‘Those numbers are starting to trickle up again and if we look at the sequencing we’re doing, we’re now seeing BA.2, the sub-lineage, in around half of our wastewater sequencing results.
‘We would expect to see case numbers continue to trend upwards over March and April as people spend more time indoors and mix more.’
Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley also said the BA2 strain could see case numbers rise again.
On Wednesday an Autumn Blitz vaccination program was announced that will target LGAs that have the lowest third dose vaccination rate
‘In the space of a few weeks we’ve seen the Omicron BA.2 variant go from pretty much nowhere to be seen to the initial reports of at least half of cases,’ he said.
‘It is more infectious so we would see cases rise, so far there is no evidence that it is more virulent.’
On Wednesday an Autumn Blitz vaccination program was announced that will target LGAs that have the lowest third dose vaccination rate.
LGA’s affected in the plan include Hume, Dandenong, Melton, Moreland, Casey and Darebin where 120 pop-up clinics will open.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard also urged NSW residents to ‘roll up their sleeves’ for a booster shot as the new variant increases case numbers.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said only 40 per cent of the state’s eligible population over the age of 16 had received their booster shot
‘We can see an uptick quite substantially very soon in Covid cases and that by the middle of April we could be looking at double the number of cases we’ve got now,’ he said.
‘It really does worry me and it should worry the individuals who haven’t actually gone out and got their boosters.
‘There’s roughly 40 per cent of the eligible population over the age of 16 who have not gone and got a booster.
‘It’s about time that everybody got real and went and got vaccinated and got their boosters as quickly as possible.’
Mr Hazzard also reminded NSW residents that ‘pandemic basics’ – like wearing a mask – were still a vital part of reducing cases
Mr Hazzard also reminded NSW residents that ‘pandemic basics’ were still a vital part of reducing cases.
He said wearing a mask, social distancing, staying home when unwell, and good hand hygiene were all essential to good health.
‘Doing all the basics that we’ve learnt in the two years of the pandemic,’ Mr Hazzard said.
‘What we’ve know from overseas is this pandemic hasn’t gone away its well and truly amongst us, some people are kidding themselves that it’s not around of course it’s around.’
Source: DailyMail AU