Harry and Meghan 'line up Princess Diana doc' in new Netflix deal
Share this @internewscast.com

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly planning a documentary focused on Princess Diana as part of their new collaboration with Netflix.

Reports indicate that Netflix is talking with the couple about a show that would commemorate 30 years since Diana’s death in a tragic car accident in 1997.

It comes as Harry and Meghan announced on August 11 they had renewed their contract with Netflix which was due to expire later this year. 

Several potential projects were suggested during the discussions, including a second season of Meghan’s lifestyle series ‘With Love, Meghan’ and a holiday special set for December.

The couple is also working on a project titled ‘Masaka Kids, A Rhythm Within’, which highlights the lives of orphaned children in Uganda, still affected by the repercussions of the HIV/AIDS crisis.

According to The Sun, Harry is contemplating another documentary in 2027 about his mother Diana, to coincide with the anniversary of her passing.

Such a documentary is expected to draw significant viewers for Netflix, reminiscent of the success from the ‘Harry & Meghan’ series.

An industry source said: ‘If Harry wants to do it then Netflix will bite his hand off.’

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are lining up a documentary about Princess Diana as part of their new 'first look deal' with Netflix,  it has been reported

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are lining up a documentary about Princess Diana as part of their new ‘first look deal’ with Netflix,  it has been reported

Princess Diana is seen visiting New York in December 1995. She was killed in a car crash two years later

Princess Diana is seen visiting New York in December 1995. She was killed in a car crash two years later

Harry and Meghan (pictured on her show With Love, Meghan) announced on August 11 they had renewed their contract with Netflix which was due to expire later this year

Harry and Meghan (pictured on her show With Love, Meghan) announced on August 11 they had renewed their contract with Netflix which was due to expire later this year

Prince Harry, who was just 12 when Diana was killed in the horrific car crash in Paris, has spoken previously about the deep impact his mother’s death has had on him. 

In his memoir Spare, the Duke opened up about the trauma he felt walking behind her coffin and wrote about his father breaking the devastating news to him.   

Despite being told what had happened, Harry recalled telling himself his mother was just ‘hiding’ and not really dead – a theory he says he has often returned to for comfort many years later. 

Moreover Prince Harry has already appeared in two documentaries about Diana, which were commissioned to mark the 20th anniversary of her death in 2017.

Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy featured interviews from Prince Harry and Prince William, alongside unseen photographs, archival footage and home movies from Diana’s childhood.

The other documentary, Diana, 7 Days, focused on her death and funeral and the effect it had on those closest to her, as well as the grieving public.

Both shows were ratings hits and drew in millions of viewers.

Five years ago, Harry and Meghan secured a lucrative contract thought to be worth $100million (£74million) with Netflix after quitting as senior working royals in 2020.

Pictured: Prince William and Prince Harry with Prince Charles at Westminster Abbey for the funeral of Diana in 1997

Pictured: Prince William and Prince Harry with Prince Charles at Westminster Abbey for the funeral of Diana in 1997

Meghan is pictured with her husband during the Invictus Games earlier this year

Meghan is pictured with her husband during the Invictus Games earlier this year 

Prince Harry previously appeared in a BBC documentary about Prince Diana to commemorate the 20th anniversary of her death in 2017 (pictured)

Prince Harry previously appeared in a BBC documentary about Prince Diana to commemorate the 20th anniversary of her death in 2017 (pictured)

However, since signing the mega deal, Harry and Meghan have only produced one smash hit show.  

‘Harry & Meghan’ was the streaming service’s biggest documentary debut, viewed in almost 29million households in its first four days, and proved a global sensation.

But their other offerings, such as documentaries on the Invictus Games, social justice and the elitist sport Polo have all failed to pull ratings.

The renewed deal was described by the Sussexes this month as ‘extending their creative partnership’ through Archewell Productions. 

But the new terms are understood to be worth less for Harry and Meghan than their previous contract, according to a person familiar with the deal, and represent Netflix loosening its ties with the couple.

Leading publicist Mark Borkowski told the Daily Mail: ‘They have shot the golden goose of 2020 – more of a ‘we’ll call you’ than ‘here’s the chequebook’. 

‘It’s a first-look deal, which means Netflix gets first dibs but no obligation to bankroll every semi-royal whim.

‘I reckon Netflix is trimming fat industry-wide, so this is less carte blanche, more curated cameo.

Despite being told what had happened, Harry wrote in Spare that he believed his mother was just 'hiding' and not really dead

Despite being told what had happened, Harry wrote in Spare that he believed his mother was just ‘hiding’ and not really dead

Princess Diana's brother, the Earl Spencer, alongside Prince William, Prince Harry and the Prince of Wales as they wait for the hearse carrying the coffin of Diana

Princess Diana’s brother, the Earl Spencer, alongside Prince William, Prince Harry and the Prince of Wales as they wait for the hearse carrying the coffin of Diana

‘They’re still in business together – Meghan’s. As ever brand and seasonal specials keep them in the Netflix shop window but make no mistake, this is a slimmed-down sequel to the blockbuster original. 

‘So Harry and Meghan’s new Netflix chapter [is] less champagne budget, more Prosecco by the glass.’

However, the Duchess of Sussex said when the deal was announced last week: ‘We’re proud to extend our partnership with Netflix and expand our work together to include the As Ever brand. 

‘My husband and I feel inspired by our partners who work closely with us and our Archewell Productions team to create thoughtful content across genres that resonates globally, and celebrates our shared vision.’

Bela Bajaria, Netflix’s chief content officer, said: ‘Harry and Meghan are influential voices whose stories resonate with audiences everywhere.

‘The response to their work speaks for itself – Harry & Meghan gave viewers an intimate look into their lives and quickly became one of our most-watched documentary series.

‘More recently, fans have been inspired by With Love, Meghan, with products from the new As ever line consistently selling out in record time.

‘We’re excited to continue our partnership with Archewell Productions and to entertain our members together.’

A spokesperson for the Sussexes told the Daily Mail they would not be commenting on claims surrounding a new documentary about Princess Diana.  

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Elizabeth Olsen Reveals Mary-Kate and Ashley Felt ‘Compelled’ to Support Her Career

Elizabeth Olsen recently opened up about her experiences growing up alongside her…

Former TikTok Sensation Reclaims Justice After Tragic Incident

Camryn Herriage’s family faced a heartbreaking decision as four separate doctors advised…

Voters Demand Accountability from Reeves Over Budget Controversy

Calls are mounting for Rachel Reeves to step down as Chancellor after…

Sophie and Prince Edward Embrace Winter Warmth at the Races: A Royal Day Out

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge faced chilly temperatures as they attended…

NBC Sparks Controversy by Choosing British Host as Face of Team USA: Viewers Question Network’s Patriotism

NBC is finding itself in hot water, facing criticism over perceived lack…

Explosive Sea Drone Attack Dismantles Russian Shadow Fleet Tankers: A Closer Look at Maritime Warfare

This gripping moment captures the destruction of two Russian tankers from the…

Shocking MedSpa Incident: Woman Allegedly Attacked for Skipping the Tip

Imagine tipping your dentist after every routine visit, or handing extra cash…

Exploring the Underworld: Unveiling the Intricate Operations of Dubai’s Illicit Fly-Tipping Networks

Picture the gleaming skyline of Dubai, stacks of cash being moved in…

Disney Executive Unveils Strategy to Enhance Guest Experience by Reducing Smartphone Distractions

Disney is grappling with a challenge that threatens to diminish the enchantment…

Son Claims to Unravel Mystery of D.B. Cooper: Is His Father the Infamous Skyjacker?

“I don’t hold a grudge against your airline, Miss. I just have…

George Clooney Opens Up About Losing Iconic Film Role to Brad Pitt: A Hollywood Revelation

George Clooney has candidly shared insights into a pivotal moment early in…

Update on National Guard Member Following Shooting Incident in Washington, D.C.

A lawmaker from West Virginia has disclosed that the second individual affected…