I led hunt for MH370 – new £56m search for missing plane is in most dangerous place on Earth & could be impossible
Share this @internewscast.com

THE hunt for doomed Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 could take eight months to resume after it was dramatically suspended after just days.

The £56 million expedition, spearheaded by UK marine robotics firm Ocean Infinity, was combing a previously unexplored seabed area in a final effort to unravel one of aviation’s most perplexing enigmas.

Airplane crash landing in the ocean.
A computer-generated image shows what the MH370’s final moments might look like after it’s believed to have plummeted into the Southern Indian Ocean in 2014Credit: National Geographic
Large green and blue ship being towed by a smaller tugboat.
Ocean Infinity’s search vessel has been deployed to a new search zone in the southern Indian OceanCredit: Ocean Infinity
Royal Malaysian Air Force personnel reviewing a map during a search and rescue operation.
The A Royal Malaysian Air Force Navigator during a search and rescue operation to find the missing plane over the Strait of Malacca on March 14, 2014Credit: AFP
Map showing the route of the Armada 78, an offshore support vessel, during the final search for MH370.
This image shows the vessel going back and forth over the search area – the red zone is what has been previously searchedCredit: x/BigOceanData

However, after only a few days of exploration in the Southern Indian Ocean, the weather worsened significantly, leading to the decision to delay the search until more favorable summer conditions in the southern hemisphere.

Peter Waring, a former deputy operations manager on the original search, said the delay was unsurprising and necessary.

He informed The Sun that the search will be on hold until summer arrives in the Southern Hemisphere, likely resuming around November this year.

While disappointing, the postponement was “not unexpected,” he said.

The MH370 hunter said that fierce Southern Ocean storms and treacherous sea conditions mean crews are often forced to abandon search efforts during the brutal southern winter.

Waring explained: “The weather tends to get really quite bad in the Southern Indian Ocean during the southern winter.

“It becomes a little bit difficult for the ships to remain down there, a little bit dangerous.”

He explained that the area is “just about the worst place you can be” in the winter, with one vicious storm system after another rolling through, generating waves up to five metres high and battering vessels with relentless winds.

“You’re extremely exposed, and it’s about six days’ sailing to the nearest port, which is Fremantle. So, you’re out there, it’s terrible weather, and you’re a long way from home,” Waring added.

Flight MH370 vanished on March 8, 2014, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.

Despite extensive search operations, only scattered debris has ever been found.

A renewed push by Ocean Infinity this year, backed by the Malaysian government, has sparked fresh hope of locating the Boeing 777’s final resting place under the waves.

Expert hopeful MH370 WILL be found in new search
Illustration of MH370 search area in the Southern Indian Ocean.

But Waring said the risks of pressing on far outweigh any potential reward.

Recovery operations using autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) – the only viable method for probing the deep, rugged seabed – become “almost impossible” when heavy seas make it too dangerous to winch equipment back on deck.

“Any kind of evolution, as we call it in the maritime world, of that kind is really, really dangerous,” he said.

Waring added that trying to retrieve gear in foul weather could mean losing crucial data – or the very equipment that might’ve finally located the wreck.

The MH370 expert also pointed out that even during the original government-led search from 2014 to 2017, winter operations often ground to a halt.

Some captains refused to return to sea due to the unbearable conditions.

“From the perspective of crew comfort and crew safety, it makes a lot of sense not to be there in the southern winter,” Waring said.

It’s not just the weather that poses problems.

The seabed in the search zone is incredibly complex – dynamic, mountainous and deep – demanding pinpoint precision and advanced robotics to scan it properly.

Waring warned that if conditions suddenly turn during a 3-day AUV mission, recovery could become impossible.

Two people recovering a piece of plane wreckage from the water.
A Boeing 777 flaperon cut down to match the one from flight MH370 found on Reunion island off the coast of Africa in 2015, is lowered into waterCredit: Reuters
Collage of damaged Boeing 777 aircraft debris.
A trailing edge section of a Boeing 777 outboard flap (L), originating from the Malaysian Airlines aircraft registered 9M-MRO (MH370), according to an ATSB reportCredit: AFP
Wing flap from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 on display.
Malaysian Minister of Transport, Anthony Loke (C) looks at the wing flap f Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370Credit: Getty

Despite public frustration, Waring rejected conspiracy theories that officials or search companies are hiding information.

He also acknowledged that speculation and misinformation continue to swirl, fuelled in part by confusion over the new search zone – and a lack of public detail about the science behind it.

Greater openness now, he believes, could help temper expectations and rebuild trust in the mission.

“I’d like to see the research and science behind this new search released,” he said.

“That would stop some of the confusion and show people that experts are making these decisions, not online conspiracy theorists.”

As for Ocean Infinity, Waring said they remain the best hope of solving the MH370 mystery.

While not flashy or overly public, the company is at the top of its game – and proved it in 2018, when it covered more than 100,000 square kilometres of ocean floor, far beyond its initial 25,000-square-kilometre target.

“If any organisation on Earth is going to find MH370, it’s almost certainly going to be Ocean Infinity.”

Confidence, he said, should remain high – especially if the company shows the same determination to go beyond contract boundaries once the search resumes.

Waring is hopeful the wreckage will eventually be found – especially if the team is willing to push beyond its initial scope. 

“Much will depend on whether they just stick to the 15,000 square kilometres, or whether they expand the search out,” he said.

“The initial search Ocean Infinity undertook in 2018 started as just a 25,000 square kilometre box, and they ended up doing over 100,000.”

“If they do that again… and head south to some of the other identified hotspots… then we’ll probably find the aircraft.”

Why is MH370 still missing a decade on?

By Rebecca Husselbee, Assistant Foreign Editor

When an entire plane with 239 passengers mysteriously disappeared from the sky it left the world in utter disbelief – myself included.

How could an entire jet vanish into oblivion in a modern world when every move on land, sea and air is tracked? And how could it remain lost for a decade?

Having spent the last few years exploring the many theories on what MH370’s final moments might look like, from the bizarre to the complex, there is one hypothesis that answers every question for me.

Pilot Simon Hardy has left no stone unturned in his search for answers and having been at the helm of passenger flights for over 20 years he knows every inch of a Boeing 777 cockpit.

What makes his “technique, not a theory” even more compelling is his ability to access the world’s best flight simulators and sit in Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah’s seat as he commandeered the Malaysia Airlines and flew into the middle of the Southern Indian Ocean.

While others believe WSPR technology holds the key to finally discovering the wreckage, it’s never been proven and many in the MH370 community have questioned its reliability.

Many experts agree that the “suicidal” MH370 pilot was behind the plane’s demise – what we’ll never know is what his mindset was on that night and what motive he had to carry out such a chilling plan.

Passenger safety onboard in the aviation industry is rigorous and the likelihood of travellers being involved in a plane crash is 1 in 11 million.

But are airlines considering a pilot’s mental state when they sit at the controls of a jet that could be turned into a 300-ton death machine?

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Revealing the Alarming Reality of Text Scam Hubs: Thousands of Exploited Workers Coerced to Target Americans

Scam operations where thousands of trafficked individuals endure grueling 16-hour workdays have…

Katie Price Embraces Her Role in Pinocchio Panto After Makeover, While Kerry Katona Offers Support During Difficult Period

Katie Price got into character for her stint in the Easter Panto…

Miami Film Festival Kicks Off with Nearly 200 Movies, Featuring ‘Pythons’ and ‘Barbarians’

For the next 10 days, Miami will be known for sun, sea…

Supreme Court Permits Trump Administration to Halt Teacher Grant Program

In a 5-4 emergency ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court allowed the Trump…

‘Modern Family’ Actor Adam Devine Opens Up About Serious Health Concerns

Actor Adam Devine has shared the details of a grim health prognosis…

Cate Blanchett, Tom Burke, and Emma Corrin Aim to Bring Their Acclaimed ‘Seagull’ Production to New York

EXCLUSIVE: The London Barbican Theatre’s scintillating production of Anton Chekhov’s The Seagull, boasting an all-star…

David E. Talbert’s Memoir Acquired by Penguin Random House’s Storehouse Voices; TV Series Adaptation Planned

EXCLUSIVE: Penguin Random House Imprint Storehouse Voices has snapped up director/writer/producer David…

Russell Brand Speaks Out After Facing Rape and Sexual Assault Allegations from Multiple Women Over Six-Year Period

Actor and comedian Russell Brand has spoken out after being charged with rape,…

“ER Cast Reunites for George Clooney’s Broadway Premiere: ‘Incredibly Proud'”

An ER reunion took place this week on the Great White Way,…

Families Advocate for ‘Trenton’s Law’ Following Second Teen’s Death by Repeat Offender

A Florida bill named after a St. Johns County teen killed by…

Labour MP detained for alleged rape and child sexual offenses during police questioning

A PROMINENT Labour MP and former minister has been arrested on suspicion…

North Carolina Court Orders Eligibility Check for Over 60,000 Voters

A North Carolina appeals court has ruled that more than 60,000 voters…