Share this @internewscast.com
Deputy Premier Steven Miles said the case was a person who had been tested for COVID-19 in New South Wales and so would be included in NSW’s case numbers today.
The man had been identified as a close workplace contact of a positive Sydney case and was tested on July 12.
NSW Health’s Dr Jeremy McAnulty said that the man was initially provided with a negative test result from a private lab which turned out to be a mistake.
“But this didn’t change the fact that he had to isolate for 14 days,” he said.
However, two days later the man allegedly broke his isolation order to fly into Ballina, where Queensland health authorities believe he then infected a flight attendant, making him “patient zero” of the current Queensland outbreak.
“On 20 July, we were advised that the swab was in fact positive and following genome sequencing tests, the case was immediately contacted and interviewed further that day.
“He stated that he had been isolating since 10 July, however, we know this is not true.”
Queensland Chief Health Officer Dr Jeanette Young said the latest case had visited the sunshine state while infectious.
The case flew from Sydney to Ballina on July 14 before travelling on to Brisbane.