Bullying probe into Antonia Romeo 'found serious case to answer'

Allegations of bullying against the leading candidate for the United Kingdom’s top civil service position have surfaced, with claims that previous findings were disregarded.

Dame Antonia Romeo, currently the highest-ranking official at the Home Office, is anticipated to be appointed as the new Cabinet Secretary and leader of the civil service.

In the interim, she is one of three senior officials temporarily fulfilling the Cabinet Secretary’s duties after Sir Chris Wormald was dismissed last week.

However, her potential permanent appointment has been overshadowed by controversy stemming from past bullying allegations during her tenure as consul-general in New York back in 2017.

The Foreign Office reportedly conducted a thorough inquiry into these allegations, but the case was ultimately set aside by the Cabinet Office, the department she was seconded from at that time.

Sources who raised the initial concerns about Dame Antonia expressed to The Times that the resolution seemed like a “cover-up,” and they accused her supporters of orchestrating an intimidating campaign to suppress their voices.

A Whitehall source told the newspaper: ‘This was not a single grievance from one employee. It involved multiple concerns made by multiple staff. 

‘The Foreign Office did a full investigation and found a serious case to answer which the Cabinet Office then ignored. So how did they reach that conclusion when they did not do their own investigation?’

Dame Antonia Romeo, who is the most senior official at the Home Office , is widely expected to become the new Cabinet Secretary and head of the civil service

Dame Antonia Romeo, who is the most senior official at the Home Office , is widely expected to become the new Cabinet Secretary and head of the civil service

Sir Keir Starmer is reported to want Dame Antonia to replace Sir Chris Wormald - who has been handed a £260,000 payout - as he seeks another 'reset' of his faltering premiership

Sir Keir Starmer is reported to want Dame Antonia to replace Sir Chris Wormald – who has been handed a £260,000 payout – as he seeks another ‘reset’ of his faltering premiership

The source added: ‘It had a huge negative impact on morale in the US. It was also deeply damaging to the whole organisation’s efforts to deal with inappropriate behaviour.

‘Because it suggested that well-connected senior individuals are beyond reproach and not subject to normal accountability.’

Allies of Dame Antonia have defended her and pointed out that she has led three Government departments since leaving the US without incident.

Rupert McNeil, who was head of HR for the Government at the time of the 2017 probe, said the investigation he oversaw was ‘done thoroughly and independently –  and it concluded there was no case to answer’.

He added: ‘The smears being thrown against her are reprehensible and hypocritical. They undermine every investigation that the civil service has run.’

Sir Matthew Rycroft, who was UK permanent representative to the UN at the time, said: ‘The decision maker was the CEO of the civil service. He concluded that there was no case to answer, and he reported this to the cabinet secretary who agreed.

‘I was the senior FCDO official in New York at the time, and having seen the relevant documentation myself, I can confirm that I too was satisfied there was no case to answer in relation to the single formal complaint that was made.’

The Cabinet Office said: ‘One formal complaint was raised nine years ago – which was thoroughly investigated and the allegations were dismissed on the basis there was no case to answer.

‘While serving as consul-general in New York, Antonia Romeo was on secondment from the Cabinet Office, therefore decisions about the relevant complaint were made by the Cabinet Office. This is standard practice.’ 

Downing Street on Monday defended Dame Antonia, with the Prime Minister’s official spokesman describing her as ‘an outstanding leader with a 25-year record of excellent public service, including having been appointed to three permanent secretary roles’.

‘One formal complaint was raised nine years ago and the allegations were dismissed on the basis that there was no case to answer,’ he said.

Further pressed on the issue, No10 said it would ‘never get into documents relating to confidential HR processes’.

‘Antonia Romeo’s record speaks for itself… I’m not going to get into individual HR files or reports,’ the spokesman added.

Sir Keir Starmer is reported to want Dame Antonia to replace Sir Chris – who has been handed a £260,000 payout – as he seeks another ‘reset’ of his faltering premiership.

She was on the shortlist to become Cabinet Secretary in December 2024 before Sir Keir opted for Sir Chris, who he has now ditched.

Dame Antonia’s former boss Lord Simon McDonald has urged the PM to start the latest recruitment process ‘from scratch’ to ensure there was proper ‘due diligence’.

You May Also Like

Travis Kelce Arrives for First Chiefs Game Since Swift Wedding

Travis Kelce made a stylish return to Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday, proudly…

Mark Cuban Pushes Back on Ro Khanna Over California Billionaire Tax Plan

Progressive Democrats are pushing to build support for California’s contentious one-time 5%…

Cristiano Ronaldo Says He Will Probably Retire at End of Season

Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested the final whistle on his extraordinary football career…

Iran Offers Cash Bounty for Capture or Killing of US Troops

Iran has announced a cash bounty for anyone who captures or kills…

Inside Cristiano Ronaldo & Georgina Rodríguez’s Intimate Wedding

Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez have made it official, tying the knot…

Are Australian House Prices Headed for a New Zealand-Style 30% Crash?

Labor’s bid to make Australian housing more affordable is running headlong into…

Kentucky Family Turns Down Tech Giant’s $26.5M Offer to Buy Their Farm

A mother and daughter in rural Kentucky are being celebrated by neighbors…

Beloved Teen Football Star Identified as Indiana Flood Victim

A rising teenage football player has been named among the victims killed…

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey Mocked Over Awkward Dancing at Minnesota State Fair

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey became the target of online mockery after a…

Woman, 73, Died After Bumpy Road ‘Caused’ Bowel Injury

A 73-year-old hospice patient died after her daughter says she suffered a…

Paul Skenes’ ‘Dad Bod’ Reveal Sparks Buzz as Insiders Detail His Season From Hell

Paul Skenes was meant to look invincible — a once-in-a-generation baseball phenom…

US Military Moves Final Pacific Aircraft Carrier to Support Operation Epic Fury Near Iran

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s military campaign against Iran is putting fresh strain…