Iranian military leader is 'killed' alongside five others as building next to embassy in Damascus is destroyed in missile attack - as state media accuses Israel of being behind airstrike
Share this @internewscast.com

A building next to Iran’s embassy in Damascus has been destroyed in an airstrike, reportedly killing a senior commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps – with state media saying Israel was behind the attack.

Pictures show the building in Syria’s capital razed to the ground, with emergency responders on the scene. A war monitor has reported that six people were killed in the building.

IRGC leader Mohammed Reza Zahedi was killed in the attack, security sources have reported. 

Syria’s official news agency SANA said ‘the Israeli attack targeted the Iranian consulate building in the Mazzeh neighbourhood of Damascus’.

The state news agency said that the building, an annex next to the embassy, had suffered major destruction and neighbouring buildings in the upmarket area of the city were also damaged. 

There was no immediate comment from Israel, which has stepped up strikes on Iran-linked militant groups amid its Gaza war raging against Hamas since October 7.

Pictures show the building in Syria's capital razed to the ground, with emergency responders on the scene

Pictures show the building in Syria’s capital razed to the ground, with emergency responders on the scene

Iranian media also reported that the strikes in Damascus completely destroyed the annex building, and that the ambassador was unharmed.

‘Hossein Akbari, ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Damascus, and his family were not harmed in the Israeli attack,’ Iran’s Nour news agency said.

Two AFP correspondents at the site confirmed the building next to the embassy, had been razed to the ground by the strike.

Britain-based group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said ‘Israeli missiles… destroyed the building of an annex to the Iranian embassy… in Damascus, killing six people’.

Syria’s official SANA news agency earlier reported that ‘our air defence systems confronted enemy targets in the vicinity of Damascus’.

The incident came days after the Observatory reported Israeli strikes that killed 53 people in Syria, including 38 soldiers and seven members of the Iran-backed Hezbollah.

It was the highest Syrian army toll in Israeli strikes since the Israel-Hamas war began on October 7, said the monitor.

Since the Iranian-backed Palestinian faction Hamas’s attack on Israel on October 7, Israel has ramped up airstrikes in Syria against Lebanon’s Hezbollah militia and Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), both of which support the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Woman ‘unlikely to survive’ following failed at-home butt implant surgery

Felipe Hoyos-Foronda promoted a range of cosmetic procedures on his TikTok account,…

Three People Hurt in Thursday Morning Crash Near Newark

At around 8:37 a.m., New Castle County Paramedics, along with fire department…

Palm Coast Man Receives 15-Year Sentence for Accidentally Killing Infant Niece While Posing with Gun

Once described as a “punk gangster” by Flagler County Sheriff Rick Staly,…

Teen Faces Jail Time After Fatal Crash That Killed 17-Year-Old Girlfriend and Injured His Back

A teenage driver who killed his ‘beautiful’ girlfriend in a crash along…

How to Alleviate Caregiver Stress: Professional Advice for Achieving Balance and Rediscovering Joy

Best caregiver stress relief and proven ways to heal and thrive. Caring…

Urgent Search for Missing 5-Year-Old Girl Kidnapped from South Side

CHICAGO — A search is underway for a child who police say…

Cuts in Funding Impact Measles Vaccination Clinics

() — As the country faces a deadly measles outbreak, funding cuts…

Villagers Celebrate as Council Rejects Proposal for ‘US-Style’ Megafarm with 714,000 Chickens and 14,000 Pigs

Jubilant villagers cheered and hugged as an application for a US-style megafarm…

Heartbroken Father of Teen Arrested for Murder at Texas Track Meet Insists His Son ‘Didn’t Start the Fight’ and is ‘A Good Kid’

The father of the 17-year-old boy accused of fatally stabbing a rival…

Florida Prosecutors Pursue Death Penalty for Couple Charged in Child Torture and Murder Case

Andre Walker and Kimberly Mills are both accused of torturing 10-year-old Xavier…

The Return of Phineas and Ferb: Key Details about Their Exciting Comeback

Disney fans, get ready for the ultimate summer adventure. Phineas and Ferb…

“Baker County Family Urges Awareness After 10-Month-Old’s Preventable Hot Car Tragedy”

Ariya Paige was the 16th child to die in 2023 after being…