Family of footy star who underwent emergency brain surgery after suffering three head knocks on the pitch provide crucial update on his condition
Share this @internewscast.com

The family of Eliesa Katoa, the NRL player who recently faced an emergency brain surgery following multiple head injuries during Tonga’s match against New Zealand, has shared encouraging news about his recovery.

Reverend Setelo Katoa, Katoa’s uncle, updated the public via Tongan radio station PMN Tonga, stating that the 25-year-old Melbourne Storm player is now ‘awake’ and showing good progress in his recovery.

“Currently, he’s doing much better,” Reverend Setelo conveyed to PMN.

During Tonga’s 40-14 loss to New Zealand on Sunday, Katoa was attended to by medical staff on the sidelines. He was subsequently hospitalized in Auckland for further treatment.

Katoa initially suffered a concerning head injury during the pre-match warm-up but was cleared to participate in the game. However, he collided with teammate Will Penisini in the 10th minute, prompting a head injury assessment.

The family of NRL star Eliesa Katoa, who underwent emergency brain surgery earlier this week after suffering three head knocks during Tonga's defeat by New Zealand, have delivered a positive update on his condition

The family of NRL star Eliesa Katoa, who underwent emergency brain surgery earlier this week after suffering three head knocks during Tonga’s defeat by New Zealand, have delivered a positive update on his condition

Katoa suffered seizures and a bleed on the brain after he sustained multiple had knocks during Tonga's 40-14 defeat by New Zealand last Sunday

Katoa suffered seizures and a bleed on the brain after he sustained multiple had knocks during Tonga’s 40-14 defeat by New Zealand last Sunday

Although he passed the initial HIA and rejoined the match, another collision, this time with New Zealand’s Naufahu Whyte in the second half, led to a second HIA. Under NRL regulations, a player is prohibited from returning to play after being removed for two HIAs.

It was later revealed that he had undergone surgery to relieve pressure on his brain after the footy star had suffered seizures and a bleed on the brain.

‘He’s awake, recovering well, and being looked after by medical staff. The family is very thankful for all the support, love, and prayers from everyone,’ Reverend Setelo said to PMN.

Reverend Setelo explained that members of Katoa’s family have expressed a deep gratitude to those who have issued their support and prayed for the Storm star’s swift recovery.

‘They’re thankful to God, the medical staff at the hospital, and everyone who has offered prayers and support.’

The footy player had also taken to Instagram on Monday to send a note of thanks to those who had sent him messages of support.

‘Appreciate everyone for checking in. Sorry if I haven’t got back to any of you guys but I really appreciate all of the love and messages,’ Katoa wrote.

The Melbourne Storm second-row, 25, published an update from hospital, thanking his followers for their support

The Melbourne Storm second-row, 25, published an update from hospital, thanking his followers for their support

It is unclear when Katoa (right) is set to be released from hospital following the incident

It is unclear when Katoa (right) is set to be released from hospital following the incident

He added the Tongan phrase ‘Ofa Atu’ which means ‘I love you.’

PMN Tonga host John Nicholas Pulu translated the interview, most of which was spoken in Tongan. 

He said: ‘Many people have gathered at churches and prayer groups to pray for Elias and his family.

‘The community’s response — both in Tonga and abroad — has been overwhelming. 

‘The Reverend emphasised that the family feels the strength and love of everyone supporting them and that their faith remains strong.’

No update has been provided on when Katoa is expected to leave hospital. 

Meanwhile, the NRL and Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) are conducting investigations into how the incident occurred. 

RLPA Chief Operating Officer Luke Ellis told this masthead: ‘Ensuring a safe environment for players is the remit of the NRL. 

‘So along with our own enquiries, we will be trusting them to work through this and understand what occurred.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Outrage in Football: Dutch Legend Condemns Bullying of Germany’s Angelo Stiller Over Cleft Lip, Sparks Club Apology

Victor Edvardsen of the Go Ahead Eagles has issued an apology following…

Martin O’Neill Confident Wilfried Nancy Will Remain Unaffected by Celtic’s Off-Field Challenges

Martin O’Neill assures that Wilfried Nancy will have a clean slate as…

Inside Ryan Garcia’s Turbulent Year: From Jail Time to a £15M Jake Paul Offer and a Vow to Triumph Over Barrios

Ryan Garcia has opened up about the tumultuous period in his life…

FIFA Unveils New Draw Format: Discover England’s Path to the World Cup Final

England approaches the 2026 World Cup with a significant advantage, as FIFA’s…

Shocking Violence at Aston Villa: Swiss Hooligans Attack Police in Disturbing New Footage

Disturbing new video has surfaced showing law enforcement officers being attacked by…

Ex-Arsenal and Man City Legend Reveals Unexpected Premier League Striker as Man United’s Key to Forward Line Success

Former Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna has suggested that Manchester United should consider…

How Vincent Kompany Transformed Bayern Munich: The ‘Brutal Truth’ Behind His Coaching Success and Harry Kane’s Revival

Vincent Kompany, the esteemed former center half, still occasionally joins the lads…

Antony’s £81m Acquisition Questioned: Jadon Sancho’s £75m Transfer Faces Criticism, Cristiano Ronaldo’s Return Divides Fans – Analyzing Manchester United’s Signings Following Club’s Lowest Value Rating

How poorly has Manchester United fared in the transfer market over the…

From Church Dribbles to Premier League: Estevao Willian’s Divine Journey to Chelsea Stardom

As Arsenal’s defenders prepare to face Estevao Willian, they might soon notice…