Share this @internewscast.com
A second missile strike targeted a U.S. base in northeast Syria Friday, according to U.S. officials.
This comes a day after a U.S. contractor was killed and five U.S. service members and another U.S. contractor wounded when a suspected Iranian drone hit a coalition base in the same region,
U.S. officials confirmed the new attack targeting an American base southeast of the Syrian province of Deir ez-Zur on Friday, saying “lots of rockets” were fired, but no known U.S. casualties, according to CBS News.
In the news: Poll Shows Trump Tops Florida Gov. DeSantis’ Support
Reports surfaced earlier that the Friday missile strikes had targeted a U.S. base near the Al-Omar oil field in northeast Syria.
The Reuters news agency and local media, including a pro-Iran outlet based in Lebanon, first reported the strike, according to CBS.
Photos and reports on social media suggested at least one missile had missed the intended target, hitting homes in the region instead.
The attack came just hours after U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said in a statement that U.S. Central Command forces had retaliated for Thursday’s deadly drone attack with “precision airstrikes” against facilities in eastern Syria that were used by groups affiliated with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.
The Defense Department said the intelligence community had determined the unmanned aerial vehicle used in the Thursday attack was of Iranian origin.
Android Users, Click To Download The Free Press App And Never Miss A Story. Follow Us On Facebook and Twitter . Signup for our free newsletter . We can’t do this without your help; visit our GiveSendGo page and donate any dollar amount; every penny helps.