Lyle Menendez is DENIED parole after his brother's same fate
Share this @internewscast.com

Lyle Menendez has been denied parole after his younger brother Erik suffered the same fate just a day prior. 

The Menendez brothers fought threw a slew of hearings over two days fighting for their release but have now both been denied parole. 

Both brothers were found to have violated prison rules during their time served for the murder of their parents in 1996. 

Lyle, now 57, attended the parole board hearing virtually from the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility in Otay Mesa, California, where he and his brother have been serving their time.

Last May, a judge reduced their sentences, making them eligible for parole immediately. These parole hearings are the closest the brothers have come to potential freedom since their conviction nearly three decades ago.

Parole Commissioner Julie Garland noted Lyle’s illegal cellphone use in March 2024 costing him family visitation rights, NBC News reported. 

It was discovered that Lyle had access to a cellphone in the prison from 2018 until November 2024. He admitted to the allegations, stating he used the phone to communicate with his family and maintain community ties.

He was also reprimanded for having 31 music CDs as well as a pair of soccer shoes inside his cell in January 2003, the outlet reported. 

Then in May 2013, a prison guard found him with a black lighter, which he claimed had been used for a ‘religious ceremony.’

Lyle Menendez appeared before the parole board via teleconference on Friday

Lyle Menendez appeared before the parole board via teleconference on Friday 

The Menendez brothers fought threw a slew of hearings over two days fighting for their release but have both been denied parole

The Menendez brothers fought threw a slew of hearings over two days fighting for their release but have both been denied parole

The two have been campaigning for years, but the board declared they would be denied parole for three years due to their behavior in prison. 

During the Thursday hearing, Erik expressed that while in prison, he cultivated a ‘moral guardrail’ and even completed a bachelor’s degree with top honors.

However, he also admitted to unlawfully obtaining cellphones, accepting the potential consequences, explaining it stemmed from a belief that his release was unlikely.

He said he took the gamble because the ‘connection with the outside world was far greater than the consequences of me getting caught with the phone.’

Erik also told how he decided to associate with a prison gang for his own protection.

That all changed, he claimed, when he realized last year he could be paroled.

‘Now, the consequences meant I was destroying my life,’ the convict said.

Much of Erik’s hearing then focused on their parent’s murders and the sexual abuse the brothers claimed they endured. 

Erik Menendez appeared virtually before the parol board on Thursday, where he was denied parole for violations during his prison sentence

Erik Menendez appeared virtually before the parol board on Thursday, where he was denied parole for violations during his prison sentence

Erik admitted at the Thursday hearing that his and his brother's spending spree was an 'incredibly callous act.' Pictured: The Menendez brothers at trial for their parents murder in 1990

Erik confessed during the hearing that the extravagant spending by him and his brother after their parents’ death was “an incredibly callous act.” Pictured: The Menendez brothers on trial for their parents’ murder in 1990.

Erik claimed to the board that he bought firearms ‘to protect myself in case my father or my mother came at me to kill me, or my father came in the room to rape me.’ 

When he was then asked why he did not just run away or report the abuse to the police, Erik said he felt ‘leaving meant death’ and he had an ‘absolute belief that I could not get away.’

Another commissioner then asked why he decided to also kill his mother. Evidence at the trial showed she had crawled on the floor, wounded, before the brothers reloaded the shotguns they had bought with someone else’s ID and fired a final shot.

‘When Mom told me… that she had known all of those years, it was the most devastating moment in my entire life,’ Erik said, becoming visibly emotional. ‘It changed everything for me. I had been protecting her by not telling her.’

‘On that night, I saw them as one person,’ he continued. ‘Had she not been in the room, maybe it would have been different.’

Erik also admitted at the hearing that his and his brother’s spending spree was an ‘incredibly callous act.

‘I was torn between hatred of myself over what I did and wishing that I could undo it and trying to live out my life, making teenager decisions,’ he explained.

Erik also used the hearing on Thursday as a chance to apologize to his family.

The brothers were convicted in 1996 of murdering their parents, Jose and Kitty, inside their Beverly Hills mansion

The brothers were convicted in 1996 of murdering their parents, Jose and Kitty, inside their Beverly Hills mansion

‘I just want my family to understand that I am so unimaginably sorry for what I have put them through,’ he said.

‘I know they have been here for me and they’re here for me today, but I want them to know, that this should be about them. It’s about them, and if I ever get the chance at freedom, I want the healing to be about them.’

In a statement, the Mendendez family said they were disappointed by Thursday’s ruling, noting that it was ‘not what we hoped for.

‘But our belief in Erik remains unwavering and we know that he will take the board’s recommendation in stride. His remorse, growth, and the positive impact he’s had on others speak for themselves.

‘We will continue to stand by him and hold to the hope he is able to return home soon.’

The brothers were sentenced to life in prison for the shooting of their father, Jose Menendez, and mother, Kitty Menendez, in their Beverly Hills mansion.

Defense attorneys argued that the brothers acted out of self-defense after years of sexual abuse by their father, prosecutors said the brothers sought a multimillion-dollar inheritance. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

80s Cult Classic Star Makes Rare Public Appearance: Can You Guess the Icon?

An iconic actor, best known for his role in a beloved 1980s…

Brave National Guardsman Stops Shooter in Dramatic DC Incident Caught on Camera

In a dramatic scene, a National Guardsman heroically intervened, taking down a…

Black Friday Shopping Chaos: Valley Fair Mall Shooting Leaves Several Injured

Shoppers at West San Jose’s Westfield Valley Fair Mall found themselves in…

Former WWE Icon Stuns at 65: Unveiling Her Timeless Transformation

In the late 1990s, Debra Marshall emerged as one of WWE’s most…

Trump Unveils Strategic $300 Billion Proposal Affecting US and Ukraine War Dynamics

In a bid to resolve the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, Donald Trump…

Barron Trump Makes a Memorable Return to Mar-a-Lago

Barron Trump captivated guests at Mar-a-Lago Club last night, making a grand…

Kathryn Knight Probes the Disappearance of £12 Million in Royal Funds Amid Giuffre Legal Dispute

This week, the Western Australia Supreme Court’s hearing schedule featured an entry…

Trump Suggests Possible Deportation for DC National Guard Shooter’s Family

President Trump is contemplating the possibility of expelling the relatives of the…

Wiggles Face Controversy Amid Allegations of Drug Use

The beloved children’s group, The Wiggles, issued an apology after a controversial…

Breaking: National Guard Incident Sparks Debate as Liberals Point to Trump’s Influence

In a pointed critique, a former Democratic National Committee chair has squarely…

Sam’s Club Customer Causes Uproar by Purchasing Entire Stock of Roast Chicken

Chaos erupted at a Sam’s Club on the eve of Thanksgiving when…

Shocking Incident: Woman Attacked at Famed Portland Bookstore—Safety Concerns Rise

A visit to one of Portland’s most renowned bookstores took a disturbing…