Woman killed ex with frying pan, buried him in backyard tomb
Share this @internewscast.com

Insets, left to right: Trista Ann Spicer and Eric Israel Mercado (San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office). Background: home where Spicer allegedly killed and buried Mercado (KNBC).

A California woman, aged 46, faces the grim prospect of spending her life in prison after a jury found her guilty of the brutal murder of her ex-boyfriend. Trista Ann Spicer was convicted of second-degree murder for the death of 42-year-old Eric Mercado, who she bludgeoned with a frying pan and then fatally slit his throat before concealing his body in a “makeshift tomb” in her backyard.

The verdict, delivered by a San Bernardino County jury on Monday, also included a sentencing enhancement for Spicer’s use of a deadly weapon in the crime. Spicer had claimed her actions were in self-defense, as Mercado had been missing since 2014 until his remains were unearthed from her property in 2022.

This gruesome case unfolded after San Bernardino Police Department’s Homicide Unit followed up on a tip received on August 23, 2022. The tip suggested the presence of human remains on Spicer’s property, prompting detectives to interview her and subsequently secure a search warrant for her residence on the 1400 block of E. Davidson Street.

The informant who tipped off authorities was Waylan Gentry, Spicer’s boyfriend at the time. He revealed that Spicer had relocated Mercado’s remains from beneath a set of concrete steps, fearing exposure as her family planned to sell the home. Gentry testified that Spicer had been contemplating a move to Illinois to be closer to her family, but she confided in him about needing to “get rid of” Mercado’s body before leaving, and sought his assistance in the grim task.

Gentry’s testimony proved pivotal, painting a chilling picture of Spicer’s intentions and actions, as reported by the San Bernardino Sun. His account contributed significantly to the jury’s decision, sealing Spicer’s fate as she now awaits sentencing for her heinous crime.

The task, according to Gentry, was to help Spicer “get rid of” her boyfriend, the San Bernardino Sun reported.

“I didn’t know what she meant,” Gentry said. “She said he was buried under the stairs. I did not believe her.”

Gentry reportedly said he decided to go to the police after speaking with his mother, who told him to “do the right thing.” When police searched the home, they found a hidden storage compartment that was about 8 feet wide, 6 feet high, and 3 feet deep.

Mercado’s body was reportedly found in the compartment wrapped inside a sliced air mattress. The medical examiner who performed the autopsy on Mercado told police that his nose and eye socket appeared to have been “obliterated” and would have left him dead “within seconds.”

“During the service of the search warrant, investigators observed what appeared to be a makeshift tomb on the property. Investigators entered the makeshift tomb and located human remains inside,” police wrote in a news release. “Homicide investigators identified pertinent information and learned that Trista Spicer and the decedent, Eric Mercado, lived at the residence together. Investigators learned that Mercado had been reported missing by his family in 2014 and had not been seen since.”

During the trial, Spicer testified that she met Mercado in 2014, claiming that he soon convinced her to start using methamphetamine again after six years of being clean, the East Bay Times reported.

The physical and emotional abuse began shortly afterward, she claimed. However, she said Mercado was prone to fits of violence and she was afraid to report the abuse.

She reportedly said that in October 2014, Mercado became upset over the dinner she prepared and threw it at her. At the time, she was sitting naked on the couch because he had ordered her to do so. She reportedly said Mercado stabbed her in the neck before ordering her to get him coffee in the kitchen. While there, she said she grabbed a frying pan and used it to strike Mercado in the head, swinging the cooking utensil with both hands before cutting his throat.

Spicer is currently scheduled to appear in court for her sentencing hearing on Jan. 20, 2026. She is facing 16 years to life in a state correctional facility.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Florida Resident Charged in Girlfriend’s Murder, Initially Claimed ICE Abduction to Friend

In a chilling turn of events, a Florida man who initially reported…

Thanksgiving Tragedy: Man Sets Neighbor’s Home Ablaze, Police Report

Inset: Ora Wallace (Vernon County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The home on County…

Police Report: Woman Stabbed Following Cigarette Request

Inset: Pamela Puskar (McCabe Funeral Home). Background: Glenn Whittier being escorted to…

Family in Distress as Investigation Unfolds into Anna Kepner’s Cruise Ship Ordeal

The family of Anna Kepner is grappling with heartache and confusion as…

Urgent Search for Missing Alabama Brothers, Ages 6 and 7: Police Request Public Assistance

The Autauga County Sheriff’s Office is reaching out to the community for…

Teenager Stabbed Following School Celebration in Brisbane

A chaotic scene unfolded when a teenage boy was stabbed following an…

Shocking Family Violence: 70-Year-Old Man Arrested for Assaulting 95-Year-Old Mother

Inset: John Earl Black (Lee County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The 9000 block…

Mother and Partner Face Charges in Infant’s Tragic Death

Inset left top to bottom: Elizabeth LynnLanor Hogan and Devin Austin Brown-Fowler…

Family Ties Under Scrutiny: Fiancé and Sister Charged in Case of Missing Pregnant Woman

Inset left to right: Richard Falor, Kimberly Park and Rebecca Park (Wexford…

Florida Man Unleashes Wild Encounter: Deputies Doused with Bear Repellent in Unbelievable Standoff

Inset: Kyle Young (Indian River County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The highway where…

Father Calls 911 Requesting Removal of 11-Year-Old Son After Food Request Leads to Confrontation

A father from South Carolina has landed in jail following accusations that…

Court Delivers Verdict for Man Convicted of Stabbing 11-Year-Old at Sleepover

Inset: Ricardo Perez Castillo appears in a booking photo (Kent County Sheriff”s…