Trump says national security concerns in Nippon-U.S. Steel deal can be resolved
Share this @internewscast.com

U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Friday that the potential national security risks associated with Nippon Steel’s $14.9 billion proposal to acquire U.S. Steel can be addressed if specific conditions outlined by his administration are met, clearing the path for the transaction’s approval.

Following the announcement, shares of U.S. Steel rose by 3.5% after trading hours, as investors speculated that the deal was nearing completion. In an executive order, Trump indicated that the conditions to mitigate national security concerns would be specified in an agreement, though he did not provide specific details. “I additionally find that the threatened impairment to the national security of the United States arising as a result of the Proposed Transaction can be adequately mitigated if the conditions set forth in section 3 of this order are met,” Trump stated in the order, which was released by the White House.

In response, the companies expressed gratitude to Trump in a news release, mentioning that the agreement involves $11 billion in new investments by 2028 and governance commitments, such as issuing a golden share to the U.S. government. However, they did not specify the extent of control this golden share would grant the U.S. Earlier on Friday, U.S. Steel shares had declined after a Nippon Steel executive informed the Japanese Nikkei newspaper that their planned acquisition of U.S. Steel would require “a degree of management freedom” following Trump’s earlier statement that the U.S. would retain control through a golden share.

The bid, first announced by Nippon Steel in December 2023, has faced opposition from the start. Both Democratic former President Joe Biden and Trump, a Republican, asserted last year that U.S. Steel should remain U.S.-owned, as they sought to woo voters ahead of the presidential election in Pennsylvania, where the company is headquartered.

Biden in January, shortly before leaving office, blocked the deal on national security grounds, prompting lawsuits by the companies, which argued the national security review they received was biased. The Biden White House disputed the charge.

The steel companies saw a new opportunity in the Trump administration, which began on January 20 and opened a fresh 45-day national security review into the proposed merger in April.

But Trump’s public comments, ranging from welcoming a simple “investment” in U.S. Steel by the Japanese firm to floating a minority stake for Nippon Steel, spurred confusion.

At a rally in Pennsylvania on May 30, Trump lauded an agreement between the companies and said Nippon Steel would make a “great partner” for U.S. Steel. But he later told reporters the deal still lacked his final approval, leaving unresolved whether he would allow Nippon Steel to take ownership.

Nippon Steel and the Trump administration asked a U.S. appeals court on June 5 for an eight-day extension of a pause in litigation to give them more time to reach a deal for the Japanese firm. The pause expires Friday, but could be extended.

June 18 is the expiration date of the current acquisition contract between Nippon Steel and U.S. Steel, but the firms could agree to postpone that date

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…

Escalating Tensions: Russian Strikes Claim Lives in Kyiv Amid Renewed Diplomatic Push for Peace in Ukraine

KYIV – In the early hours of Saturday, Kyiv faced a deadly…

African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…

Legionnaires’ Disease Alert: Ocoee Gym Under Investigation for Potential Outbreak

OCOEE, Fla. – A cloud of concern hovers over a local fitness…

Greene County Standoff Leads to Man Facing Multiple Attempted Murder Charges, Says Sheriff

A man has been arrested and charged with several counts of attempted…

Heroic Sibling Rescue: How an Older Brother Saved His 10-Year-Old Sister in a Hawkins County ATV Accident

What began as a typical Saturday evening in Hawkins County quickly transformed…

Trader Joe’s Set to Open First Melbourne Location This December, Company Announces

MELBOURNE, Fla. – The eagerly awaited Trader Joe’s store in Central Florida…

Gaza Ministry Reports Over 70,000 Palestinian Lives Lost in Ongoing Israel-Hamas Conflict

DEIR EL-BALAH – As the conflict between Israel and Hamas continues, the…

Heartfelt Farewell: Motorcade Honors Fallen National Guard Member Tragically Shot in Washington D.C.

On Thursday evening, a solemn procession departed from Medstar Washington Medical Center,…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Survivors of Hong Kong Apartment Fire Reflect on Their Next Steps

HONG KONG – It was a typical afternoon when William Li received…

Unexploded Grenade Found in Orlando Community, Fire Department Reports

ORLANDO, Fla. – Fire department crews discovered a grenade while responding to…