Unmasked after 80 years - the Nazi executioner in infamous WWII photo

A Nazi executioner captured in a notorious World War II photograph has been identified for the first time in 80 years, thanks to advancements in Artificial Intelligence.

The man in the chilling image, known as “The Last Jew of Vinnytsia,” has been identified as Schutzstaffel (SS) officer Jakobus Onnen. At the time of the execution, Onnen was 33 years old, according to a historian’s findings.

The photograph, widely recognized as one of the most haunting images from World War II, depicts a German soldier wearing glasses as he points a gun at a kneeling Jewish victim beside a mass grave, while several other soldiers stand by.

While the identity of the victim remains unknown, the image, believed to be from 1941, serves as a stark representation of the systematic genocide of Jews across Europe.

Jürgen Matthäus, a seasoned historian who has dedicated decades to studying the Holocaust, revealed the executioner’s name. He states with 99 percent certainty that Onnen is the gunman in the photograph.

Previously, Matthäus has successfully determined the precise location and timing of the mass execution depicted in the photograph, which first came to public attention during the 1961 trial of Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann.

After the picture was handed over by a Holocaust survivor shortly following his liberation in 1945, it was circulated by an American news agency. 

At the time, it was thought that the execution took place in Vinnytsia, around 125 miles southwest of Kyiv. 

But a diary kept by Austrian soldier Walter Materna later revealed the massacre actually occurred in Berychiv, a city between Kyiv and Vinnytsia. 

The heartbreaking photograph shows a German soldier aiming a gun at a man kneeling beside a mass grave while he looks into the distance

The heartbreaking photograph shows a German soldier aiming a gun at a man kneeling beside a mass grave while he looks into the distance

The revelation drew renewed attention in Germany in 2023, prompting a retired teacher to contact Matthäus. 

The man said the shooter in the photo bore a striking resemblance to his wife’s uncle.

Although he did not disclose the uncle’s name, he provided key biographical details, including his place and year of birth.

Other essential information included his entry into the SS in 1932 and his death while fighting against partisans in 1943. 

Using this information, Matthäus scoured historical archives and identified the man as Jakobus Onnen. 

Before the war, Onnen taught French, English, and gymnastics at the Deutsche Kolonialschule in Witzenhausen. 

In 1939, he became fully active within the SS, serving as a guard at the Dachau concentration camp before being deployed to the Eastern Front with Einsatzgruppe C in 1941. The unit was tasked with the killing of Jews before a visit by Hitler. 

It is estimated that the unit slaughtered more than 100,000 people until 1942. 

Matthäus said the combination of AI technology, historical records, and personal accounts made it possible to unmask the executioner behind one of history’s most chilling images, a photograph that has come to represent the brutality of Nazi Germany’s crimes against humanity.

Last month, the historian said a detailed analysis of the background in the picture gave him the exact location of the scene. He then used facial recognition to determine Onnen’s identity. 

Born in 1906, Onnen came from a family of educated people and had joined the Nazi Party by 1933. He was killed on August 12, 1943, while in combat in the Zhytomyr region in what is now present-day Ukraine. 

 His name is still listed on a memorial plaque for fallen soldiers in the town of Weener, near his birthplace of Tichelwarf in East Frisia, close to the Dutch border.

Authorities are now considering removing his name or using other methods to remove it from the memorial.  

The execution of Polish hostages by German soldiers. Many graphic images depicting the Nazis' treatment of victims have been made public over the years

The execution of Polish hostages by German soldiers. Many graphic images depicting the Nazis’ treatment of victims have been made public over the years

The 1941 massacre

According to reports in the Einsatzgruppen, on September 1 and 2, leaflets deemed inflammatory were distributed by Jews in Berdychiv.

Since the perpetrators were not found, around 1,300 Jews were rounded up and executed by a unit of the Higher SS and Police Leaders.

One witness who saw the killings said: ‘They had to wear their festivity-dresses. 

‘Then their clothes and valuables were taken. The pits were dug and filled in by war prisoners who were executed shortly after.’

It has been estimated by the Nazis may have killed 20,000 to 30,000 Jews in the area. 

German forces had a Nazi prison and a forced labour camp in Berdychiv. 

The Stalag 339 camp, which housed prisoners of war was also located there.  

The execution pictured in ‘The Last Jew of Vinnytsia’ is believed to have taken place during this wave of killings, carried out by Einsatzgruppe C with help from local collaborators. 

The victims were executed at the edge of open pits and buried where they fell.

In present day, Berdychiv was impacted by strikes during Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

 

Many graphic images of Nazi’s inhumane treatment have been made public over the years. 

One includes a survivor stoking the flames of a crematorium containing human remains. Others show the malnourished bodies of victims as they waited to be slaughtered by Hitler’s army. 

Many pictures published in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum were distributed under former president Dwight Eisenhower’s policy to educate Americans about Hitler’s atrocities. 

You May Also Like

Shabana Mahmood Backs Fairer Asylum Seeker Distribution

Shabana Mahmood has reinforced Andy Burnham’s call for asylum seekers to be…

Physicist’s Doomsday Prediction Claims World Could End This Year

A stark forecast about humanity’s future is drawing fresh attention, with a…

Hayden Panettiere’s On-Off Boyfriend Speaks Out After Brother Jansen’s Tragic Death

Brian Hickerson, the on-and-off boyfriend of Hayden Panettiere, has issued a statement…

New York Reports First Brain-Swelling Mosquito Virus Case

New York City health officials have confirmed the city’s first West Nile…

Sue Gray Says No10 Role Under Keir Starmer Was Unbearable

Sue Gray has described her brief spell working for Keir Starmer in…

JD Vance Faces Major Warning Sign as New Poll Shows Democrat Crushing Him

Jon Ossoff is emerging as one of the strongest-performing Democrats in a…

Newly Single Margaret Qualley Joins Elordi at Dog Star Premiere

Margaret Qualley stepped back into the spotlight on Thursday, appearing without her…

Sydney Private School Scandal Comes to Light

Three teenage boys accused of sexually assaulting a girl in Sydney over…

Fugitive Wife in Flip-Flops Seen Walking After Husband’s Murder

New surveillance video appears to show a Massachusetts woman wanted in connection…

Prince Harry Beams as He Breaks Cover Hours After UK Revelation

Prince Harry appeared in buoyant spirits as he was photographed for the…

Karmelo Anthony’s Lawyer Shares Personal Puberty Detail During Case

A murder trial that exposed deep racial divisions across the country came…

NY Man Arrested Over Alleged Bullet Threat to Jeanine Pirro

A Long Island man has been arrested after federal authorities accused him…