3.9k Share this
NSW MP Gareth Ward has been charged over the alleged historical sexual abuse of a man and a teenage boy.

A police spokesperson confirmed the Kiama MP had been charged with sexual offences and granted conditional bail.

NSW Police began investigating alleged sexual violence-related offences in May last year.

NSW MP Gareth Ward has been charged over historical sexual violence allegations.
NSW MP Gareth Ward has been charged over historical sexual abuse allegations. (Kate Geraghty)

The 40-year-old attended Oak Flats Police Station about midday today.

He has since been charged with three counts of assault with an act of indecency and one count each of sexual intercourse without consent and common assault.

Police will allege Mr Ward indecently assaulted a 17-year-old boy at Meroo Meadow in February 2013 and sexually abused a 27-year-old man in Sydney in September 2015.

He is due to appear at Port Kembla Local Court in May.

Gareth Ward charged over historic sexual abuse allegations.
Gareth Ward denies the allegations. (Louise Kennerley)

Mr Ward today said he would defend the charges.

“I am innocent and I intend to prove it,” he wrote in a statement.

“I have instructed my lawyers to use every available procedural avenue to bring this matter to trial as quickly as possible.

“There is much more I would like to say but on the strict advice of my lawyers and out of respect for our system of justice, I will not be making any further comment at this time.”

Mr Ward identified himself as the MP under investigation by police over sexual violence allegations last May.

He resigned from the government and his Families, Communities and Disability Services portfolio to move to the crossbench.

Mr Ward said in a statement at the time that he had not been contacted by police and denied any wrongdoing.

This afternoon Premier Dominic Perrottet said Mr Ward would be asked to resign from NSW Parliament and should he refuse, a motion would be moved to remove him.

“Mr Ward is entitled to defend himself against the serious charges against him but he must do that as a private citizen,” Mr Perrottet said.

Source: 9News

3.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Trump defends rights of gun owners days after Texas massacre

Former President Donald Trump has defended the rights of gun owners in…

Husband of teacher killed in Uvalde massacre ‘dies of grief’

The husband of one of the teachers killed in the Texas school…

Gunman threatened rapes and school attacks on social media app before massacre

The teenage Texas gunman told girls he would rape them, showed off…

As Thomas Markle lies gravely ill, RICHARD KAY gives some friendly advice 

Watching Prince Harry gallop across a sunlit polo field in southern California…

Forge your own royal tour: We reveal how to follow in the Queen’s globetrotting footsteps 

Caribbean charm: The Queen and Princess Margaret in Mustique in 1977 No…

Kate Moss delivers testimony in support of ex Johnny Depp during trial against Amber Heard

Kate Moss has taken the stand to defend her ex-boyfriend Johnny Depp…

Metadata Expert Says Bruised Amber Heard Photo Exhibited During Johnny Depp Defamation Trial is Edited

Metadata expert Bryan Neumeister testified that photos actress Amber Heard exhibited during…

Gas Price Average Reaches Record High of $4.60

Gas prices reached another record high on Thursday as Americans continue to…