Appeals court temporarily blocks judge's ruling to return control of National Guard to California
Share this @internewscast.com

In SAN FRANCISCO (AP), the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued a temporary stay on Thursday, halting a federal judge’s mandate that required President Donald Trump to relinquish control of National Guard troops back to California. These troops had been deployed following immigration raid protests in Los Angeles.

The court announced it would conduct a hearing regarding the issue on Tuesday. This decision was made mere hours before the federal judge’s order was set to take effect at noon on Friday.

Earlier on Thursday, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer declared Trump’s deployment of the National Guard unlawful, citing a violation of the Tenth Amendment and surpassing Trump’s legal authority. This ruling specifically concerned the National Guardsmen and not the Marines, who were also dispatched to the LA demonstrations. The judge chose not to address the Marines’ deployment, noting they had yet to engage on the streets.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who had asked the judge for an emergency stop to troops helping carry out immigration raids, had praised the earlier ruling.

“Today was really about a test of democracy, and today we passed the test,” Newsom said in a news conference before the appeals court decision.

The White House had called Breyer’s order “unprecedented” and said it “puts our brave federal officials in danger.”

“The district court has no authority to usurp the President’s authority as Commander in Chief,” White House spokesperson Anna Kelly said in a statement. “The President exercised his lawful authority to mobilize the National Guard to protect federal buildings and personnel in Gavin Newsom’s lawless Los Angeles. The Trump Administration will immediately appeal this abuse of power and looks forward to ultimate victory on the issue.”

Marines in civil disturbance training at nearby base

About 700 Marines have been undergoing civil disturbance training at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach in Orange County, California. Nicholas Green, an attorney for the state, told the court: “I have been told by the office of the governor that within the next 24 hours, 140 Marines will replace and relieve National Guard members in Los Angeles.”

Typically the authority to call up the National Guard lies with governors, but there are limited circumstances under which the president can deploy those troops. Trump federalized members of the California National Guard under an authority known as Title 10.

Title 10 allows the president to call the National Guard into federal service under certain limited circumstances, such as when the country “is invaded,” when “there is a rebellion or danger of a rebellion against the authority of the Government,” or when the president is unable “to execute the laws of the United States.”

Breyer said in his ruling that what is happening in Los Angeles does not meet the definition of a rebellion.

“The protests in Los Angeles fall far short of ‘rebellion,’” he wrote.

California sued the federal government

Newsom sued to block the Guard’s deployment against his wishes. California later filed an emergency motion asking the judge to block the Guard from assisting with immigration raids.

The governor argued that the troops were originally deployed to protect federal buildings and wanted the court to block the troops from helping protect immigration agents during the raids, saying that involving the Guard would only escalate tensions and promote civil unrest.

Maj. Gen. Scott Sherman, commander of Task Force 51, which is overseeing the Guard troops and Marines sent to Los Angeles, said that as of Wednesday about 500 of the Guard troops had been trained to accompany agents on immigration operations. Photos of Guard soldiers providing security for the agents have already been circulated by immigration officials.

None of the Marines have been trained to go on immigration raids, and it is not yet clear if they eventually will, Sherman said.

Trump improperly called up the Guard, judge says

In his broad ruling, the judge determined Trump had not properly called the Guard up in the first place.

The lawsuit argued that Title 10 also requires that the president go through governors when issuing orders to the National Guard.

Brett Shumate, an attorney for the federal government, said Trump complied with the statute by informing the general in charge of the troops of his decision and would have the authority to call in the Guard even if he had not.

In a brief filed ahead of the Thursday hearing, the Justice Department said Trump’s orders were not subject to judicial review.

“Courts did not interfere when President Eisenhower deployed the military to protect school desegregation. Courts did not interfere when President Nixon deployed the military to deliver the mail in the midst of a postal strike. And courts should not interfere here either,” the department said.

“Our position is this is not subject to judicial review,” Shumate told the judge.

Breyer, who at one point waved a copy of the Constitution, said he disagreed.

“We’re talking about the president exercising his authority, and the president is of course limited in that authority. That’s the difference between a constitutional government and King George,” he said.

Protests intensified

The protests over immigration raids in Los Angeles intensified after Trump called up the Guard and have since spread to other cities, including Boston, Chicago and Seattle.

Trump has described Los Angeles in dire terms that Mayor Karen Bass and Newsom say are nowhere close to the truth.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Port Canaveral Advances Plans for New Cruise Terminals to Meet High Demand

PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. – Years in the making, the next cruise terminals…

White House Calls on House GOP Members Who Oppose Trump Megabill

A cross-section of House Republicans from hardline conservatives to moderates are headed to…

House Republicans Rush to Approve Trump’s Major Bill with Approaching Deadline

WASHINGTON () House Republicans are sprinting toward a final vote on President…

The Liberal Majority of the Wisconsin Supreme Court Overturns 176-Year-Old Abortion Ban

MADISON, Wis. (AP) The Wisconsin Supreme Court’s liberal majority struck down the…

Live at 10 a.m.: Essential Tips for Parking Lot Safety

ORLANDO, Fla. – Parking lots might appear as one of the most…

GHSA Announces All-State Baseball Teams

The Georgia State High School Association has unveiled its All-State baseball teams…

Volusia County Dad Faces First-Degree Murder Charges in Son’s Hot Car Tragedy

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. – According to the Volusia Sheriff’s Office, a man…

Zohran Mamdani Addresses Trump Threats: ‘Speaking Out Comes With Risks’

NEW YORK CITY (PIX11) – Zohran Mamdani, the Democratic nominee for New…

Proposed Bill in South Carolina Could Alter Teacher Grading Practices: Here’s What You Need to Know

Some educators in South Carolina claim they are being directed to assign…

Live Updates: Republicans Prepare for Key Vote on Trump Megabill Amidst Freedom Caucus Opposition

The House returned to the floor Wednesday night after several hours in…

FCC Chairman Ascends 200-Foot Nexstar Tower, Unveils Policy Agenda

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KELO) – The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission…

A recent agreement is altering how athletes are paid — but is it here to stay?

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCIA) — College athletic departments and universities nationwide are venturing…