Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Illinois Ranks Poorly Nationwide for Handling Sex Abuse Cases in Juvenile Detention, Claim Survivors’ Attorneys
  • Local news

Illinois Ranks Poorly Nationwide for Handling Sex Abuse Cases in Juvenile Detention, Claim Survivors’ Attorneys

    Survivors' lawyers say Illinois has one of nation's worst records on sex abuse in juvenile detention
    Up next
    Rapper Mello Buckzz speaks out on Chicago shooting: 'These were people I love'
    Rapper Mello Buckzz Opens Up About Chicago Shooting: ‘They Were My Loved Ones’
    Published on 16 July 2025
    Author
    Internewscast
    Tags
    • abuse,
    • detention,
    • HAS,
    • Illinois,
    • Jerome Block,
    • juvenile,
    • lawyers,
    • nation039s,
    • one,
    • records,
    • say,
    • Sex,
    • survivors039,
    • U.S. news,
    • worst
    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest

    CHICAGO – Attorneys representing over 900 survivors who have filed lawsuits stated Wednesday that Illinois has one of the nation’s most severe issues with child sex abuse in juvenile detention centers.

    Numerous complaints, including several submitted this week in Chicago, claim decades of systematic abuse of children by detention facility employees. Similar lawsuits have arisen in states like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland. However, Illinois is particularly notable for the sheer number of cases accumulating since last year and the inadequate response from state officials, the attorneys mentioned.

    “The scale, magnitude, and severity of these cases are among the worst we’ve encountered across the United States,” said Jerome Block, an attorney who has filed lawsuits across the nation, during a press conference.

    The latest Illinois complaints, filed Tuesday, represent 107 people who experienced abuse as children at 10 centers statewide. Some have since closed. The lawsuits allege abuse from the mid-1990s to 2018, including rape, forced masturbation and beatings by chaplains, counselors, officers and kitchen supervisors.

    The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they were sexually assaulted unless they consent to being identified or decide to tell their stories publicly, as some who have filed lawsuits have done. Most plaintiffs are identified by initials in the lawsuits.

    Survivor Kate-Lynn, who appeared at a Chicago news conference, said she only felt comfortable speaking publicly using her first name. The Illinois woman, now 26, said she was held in solitary confinement at a suburban Chicago facility for a year when she was 14. She said she was sexually and physically abused by at least five staff members who came into her cell and stripped her naked.

    As she spoke, a fellow survivor who also planned to speak became overcome with emotion and left the room. He didn’t return.

    Kate-Lynn said she has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety.

    “Going to public places is very hard for me,” she said, wiping tears at times. “I feel like I ‘m going to be attacked when dealing with authority figures.”

    The lawsuits, first filed in May 2024, and they are slowly making their way through the courts.

    Two lawsuits against the state — representing 83 people — were filed in the Illinois Court of Claims and seek damages of roughly $2 million per plaintiff, the most allowed under law. Separate lawsuits representing 24 people held as children at a Chicago center, were filed in Cook County and seek more than $100,000 per plaintiff.

    Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, who represents the state, has tried to dismiss the cases in court.

    Raoul, whose office has investigated church sex abuse cases, declined to comment Wednesday as did officials with the Department of Juvenile Justice and Cook County. The lawsuits also name the state of Illinois and the Department of Corrections. Officials for the governor’s office and Corrections did not return messages Wednesday.

    While the number of lawsuits grows, few cases have gone to trial or resulted in settlements. Arrests are infrequent.

    Many alleged offenders are not named in the lawsuits, represented by initials or physical descriptions as the plaintiffs remembered them. There are several alleged repeat offenders, including a corrections officer who currently serves as a small-town Illinois mayor and was accused separately by 15 people. He has denied the allegations.

    Attorneys have called for legislative hearings, outside monitors, victim input and criminal charges by local authorities. Block has also harshly criticized Illinois leaders, including Raoul, saying there is a double standard for the abuse victims juvenile detention centers versus church abuse victims.

    “When it’s the state who perpetrated the abuse, when it’s state employees who perpetrated the abuse rather than Catholic priests, the attorney general doesn’t want to support the survivors,” he said.

    Horrific accounts are detailed in the hundreds of pages of complaints. Many plaintiffs said their abusers threatened them with violence, solitary confinement and longer sentences if they reported the abuse. Others were given fast food, candy, cigarettes or the chance to play videos games if they kept quiet.

    Another survivor, a 40-year-old Texas man identified in the lawsuit by the initials J.B. 2, said he was abused when he was 14 years old and staying a facility in St. Charles, which is outside Chicago. He issued a statement through attorneys.

    “I want to let my fellow survivors know that we are not alone in this,” he wrote. “Speaking your truth, no matter how gruesome it is, it can help to set you free from yourself and all the hurt that’s been bottled up.”

    Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest
    You May Also Like

    Experience Cinematic Magic and Captivating Live Performances at Jackson Theatre This Month!

    In the historic town of Jonesborough, Tennessee, the Jackson Theatre is reviving…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Bartow High School teacher arrested after backyard debris burn causes 5-acre brush fire: sheriff
    • Local news

    Teacher’s Backyard Debris Burn Ignites 5-Acre Brush Fire: Bartow High School Educator Arrested, Sheriff Reports

    Related coverage: Driver captures Polk County brush fire on video BARTOW, Fla.…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026

    Tragic Update: Juvenile Suspect Sought as Shooting Victim Succumbs, Murder Charges Filed

    In a tragic turn of events in Kingsport, Tennessee, the youth involved…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    4 juveniles injured in shooting in Orlando’s Parramore neighborhood, police say
    • Local news

    Four Young Victims Hurt in Parramore Neighborhood Shooting, Police Report

    ORLANDO, Fla. – A shooting incident near downtown Orlando on Sunday afternoon…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Australia won't repatriate 34 women and children from Syria
    • Local news

    Australia Decides Against Repatriating 34 Women and Children from Syrian Conflict Zone

    MELBOURNE – Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Tuesday that Australia will…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Nancy Guthrie kidnapping investigators work with Walmart after identifying suspect’s backpack
    • Local news

    Investigators Collaborate with Walmart After Identifying Suspect’s Backpack in Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping Case

    In a new development in the case of Savannah Guthrie’s missing mother,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation
    • Local news

    Irish Regulator Launches EU Privacy Investigation into Grok’s Deepfake Practices Amid Heightened Scrutiny

    LONDON – The European Union has launched a privacy investigation into Elon…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026

    Breaking News: Travis Turner’s Departure from Wise County Public Schools – What Led to the Termination?

    In Wise County, Virginia, the Union High School football coach, Travis Turner,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    US and Iran to hold a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva
    • Local news

    US-Iran Nuclear Negotiations: Geneva Hosts Crucial Second Round Talks

    In the scenic city of Geneva, the United States and Iran are…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Delaware man married in the 1970s to former first lady Jill Biden set for plea in wife's death
    • Local news

    Delaware Man from Jill Biden’s Past to Enter Plea in Wife’s Death Case

    WILMINGTON, Del. – In a case drawing both local and national attention,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Zara McDermott reveals health scare after finding a lump in her armpit
    • Entertainment

    Zara McDermott Discloses Recent Health Concern Following Discovery of Armpit Lump

    Zara McDermott has candidly shared a recent health concern after discovering a…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Aussie tourist's chilling death threats for 'stealing bikinis' in Bali
    • News

    Shocking Incident: Aussie Tourist Faces Death Threats Over Alleged Bikini Theft in Bali

    An Australian model, who has gained fame on OnlyFans, found herself in…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    US citizen sentenced to four years in Russian jail after trying to smuggle  Kalashnikov assault rifle stocks out of Moscow airport: reports
    • US

    American Faces Four-Year Sentence in Russia for Attempted Kalashnikov Smuggling: Breaking News

    A Russian court has handed down a four-year prison sentence to an…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Bali 'suitcase' murderer who killed US girlfriend's mother walks free
    • News

    Convicted Bali ‘Suitcase’ Murderer Released After Serving Sentence

    In a case that captured international attention, an American man convicted of…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Internewscast Journal
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • DMCA Notice
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Guest Post
    • Support Our Cause
    Copyright 2023. All Right Reserverd.