Share this @internewscast.com
  • Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy called the Russian strike on a maternity hospital in Mariupol “the ultimate evidence of genocide”. The children’s hospital and maternity ward in the southern Ukrainian city was destroyed by a Russian airstrike on Wednesday afternoon, Ukrainian officials said. Zelenskiy said children are buried under rubble and the regional governor said 17 people have been wounded. “A children’s hospital, a maternity ward. How did they threaten the Russian Federation?” Zelenskiy added. The Guardian was unable to fully verify Ukrainian officials’ accounts, but video published by the Associated Press showed multiple injured people at the site of the hospital attack.

  • Western officials warned of their “serious concern” that Vladimir Putin could use chemical weapons on Kyiv. In an assessment, they said an “utterly horrific” attack on the Ukrainian capital could be unleashed as Russian forces attempt to overcome the logistical issues that have apparently plagued troops headed towards Kyiv.

  • Britain’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the large Russian column north-west of Kyiv has made “little progress in over a week” and suffers continued losses at the hands of Ukraine forces. In an update on Thursday, the MoD said there had been a noticeable drop in Russian air activity in recent days, likely due to the “unexpected effectiveness” of the Ukraine resistance. It also said Russia has deployed conscript troops despite assurances from Putin not to do so.

  • Britain is planning to supply Starstreak anti-aircraft weapons and “a small consignment” of Javelin anti-tank missiles to Ukraine as Russian forces close in on Kyiv, the British defence secretary has said.

  • Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov has landed in Turkey for the face-to-face talks on Thursday with his Ukrainian counterpart Dmytro Kuleba, the highest-level meeting between the two countries since Russia invaded. Kuleba warned in a Facebook video his expectations were “limited”. So far, the parties have been engaged in lower-level talks in Belarus, largely over humanitarian issues and involving only Ukrainian officials.

  • Leaders of the 27-nation EU are to meet in Versailles on Thursday and Friday. A draft declaration prepared for the summit said: “Russia’s war of aggression constitutes a tectonic shift in European history.” The leaders are expected to discuss reducing the bloc’s energy dependency on Russia, and Ukraine’s request to join the EU.

  • Russia’s foreign ministry has confirmed the use of the TOS-1A weapon system in Ukraine, Britain said. The UK’s ministry of defence said the system uses thermobaric rockets, creating incendiary and blast effects. Here is an explainer on thermobaric weapons.

  • The United States has seen indications that Russia is dropping “dumb bombs” – unguided munitions with no precise target – on Ukraine, a senior US defence official said. Officials added that the US was observing “increasing damage to civilian infrastructure and civilian casualties”.

  • Ukraine has accused Russian forces of “holding 400,000 people hostage” in Mariupol. The Ukrainian foreign minister, Dmytro Kuleba, said the city, where conditions are described as “apocalyptic”, was still being shelled by Russian troops despite an agreement to establish a safe evacuation corridor for civilians.

  • Ukrainian authorities have said the power supply has been cut to the defunct Chernobyl power plant. The UN’s atomic watchdog said the spent nuclear fuel stored there had cooled down sufficiently for it not to be an imminent concern. Still, the news is raising concerns that a lack of external power to the site could compromise nuclear safety.

  • More than 40,000 civilians were evacuated from across Ukraine on Wednesday but authorities struggled to get people away from conflict zones around the cities of Kyiv, Kharkiv and Mariupol, a Ukrainian negotiator said. Ukrainian authorities said earlier that the corridors should allow residents of the heavily bombarded cities of Mariupol, Enerhodar, Sumy, Izyum and Volnovakha, as well as towns around Kyiv including Bucha, Irpin and Hostomel, to leave, calling on Russian forces to respect an “official public commitment” to cease fire.

  • Source: This post first appeared on The Guardian

    Share this @internewscast.com
    You May Also Like

    Uncover the Real Story: Nicole Kidman’s Nashville Lifestyle Revealed!

    Nicole Kidman found herself spending Thanksgiving apart from her two youngest daughters.…

    Update on National Guard Member Following Shooting Incident in Washington, D.C.

    A lawmaker from West Virginia has disclosed that the second individual affected…

    Heartbroken Widow Challenges Controversial Sculpture Tribute After Husband’s Tragic Death in Stampede

    A grieving widow faces heartbreak as plans unfold to install a large…
    Zootopia 2: Meet the voices behind some new characters in Disney-animated sequel, including Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan

    Disney Unveils New Voices for ‘Zootopia 2’: Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan Join the Animated Sequel

    LOS ANGELES — Disney’s highly anticipated “Zootopia 2” is making waves at…

    Southeast Asia Floods Claim Over 400 Lives as Recovery Efforts Commence

    The death toll from devastating floods and landslides in Southeast Asia climbed…

    Honoring a Legend: Robin van Persie Celebrates Feyenoord vs Celtic as a Tribute to Mentor Wim Jansen

    The epic 1970 European Cup final remains a defining moment for both…

    Record-Breaking Arctic Blast: America Braces for December’s Most Extreme Cold on Earth

    Weather experts are forecasting an unusual chill to sweep across much of…

    Trump Announces Complete Closure of Venezuelan Airspace

    President Donald Trump has announced a complete closure of the airspace over…

    Meghan Markle’s Lavish Netflix Holiday Wardrobe: A Closer Look at the Stunning Costs

    Meghan Markle has kicked off the holiday season with a touch of…

    Tragic Hong Kong Fire Claims 146 Lives, Drawing Comparisons to Grenfell Disaster

    The tragic blaze that swept through an apartment complex in Hong Kong…

    Authorities Report 15-Year-Old Suspect in Shooting of Bicyclist with Taurus 9mm

    Inset: Tommy Lagree (Orange County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The 4900 block of…

    Melissa Doyle Discusses Potential Return to Sunrise – Here’s What She Said

    Melissa Doyle, who previously hosted Sunrise, has confirmed she has no plans…