Russia sends navy ships to guard sanctioned oil tanker

In a bold move, Russia has deployed naval forces to safeguard an oil tanker under sanctions as it navigates the Atlantic, amid growing threats from the United States to capture the vessel.

This development follows reports that U.S. forces were preparing for an operation to board the ship, which is known for carrying Venezuelan crude oil and was last tracked sailing between Scotland and Iceland.

According to CBS News, Russia intervened to escort the tanker, heightening tensions on international waters.

The tanker, currently without cargo, was formerly known as Bella 1. Just last month, the U.S. Coast Guard attempted to intercept it in the Caribbean, armed with a warrant due to alleged violations of U.S. sanctions and accusations of transporting Iranian oil.

In response, the tanker swiftly altered its course, changed its name to Marinera, and reportedly switched its registration from Guyana to Russia.

Last month, Donald Trump announced he had ordered a ‘blockade’ on sanctioned oil tankers traveling to and from Venezuela, a move that the Venezuelan government has condemned as ‘theft.’

In the run-up to the US seizure of the country’s former leader Nicolás Maduro on Saturday, Trump repeatedly accused Venezuela’s government of using ships to smuggle drugs into the US.

Two US officials told CBS News on Tuesday that American forces were planning to board the Marinera and that Washington would prefer to seize the vessel rather than sink it.

Moscow’s Foreign Ministry says it expects Western countries to respect principles of freedom of navigation. 

Russia has dispatched navy assets to protect a sanctioned oil tanker as it crosses the Atlantic, amid mounting threats from the US to seize the vessel

Russia has dispatched navy assets to protect a sanctioned oil tanker as it crosses the Atlantic, amid mounting threats from the US to seize the vessel

Russian Navy Deploys Vessels to Secure Oil Tanker Amid Sanctions

The president has openly stated that the military operation to depose leader Nicolas Maduro this past weekend was, in part, an attempt to extract some of oil-rich Venezuela's stock

The president has openly stated that the military operation to depose leader Nicolas Maduro this past weekend was, in part, an attempt to extract some of oil-rich Venezuela’s stock

The US military’s Southern Command reinforced that message in a social media post, saying it ‘remains ready to support our US government agency partners in standing against sanctioned vessels and actors transiting through this region.

‘Our sea services are vigilant, agile, and postured to track vessels of interest. When the call comes, we will be there.’

The tanker’s north Atlantic position, combined with rough weather and long distances from land, is thought to be making any boarding operation difficult. 

AIS tracking data, which can be spoofed or falsified, suggested the ship was around 2,000km (1,200 miles) west of continental Europe on Tuesday.

Its approach towards Europe has also coincided with the arrival of around 10 US military transport aircraft and helicopters.

Russia said it was ‘monitoring with concern’ the situation surrounding the ship and accused the US and Nato of excessive scrutiny.

‘At present, our vessel is sailing in the international waters of the North Atlantic under the state flag of the Russian Federation and in full compliance with the norms of international maritime law,’ Russia’s foreign ministry said.

‘For reasons unclear to us, the Russian ship is being given increased and clearly disproportionate attention by the US and Nato military, despite its peaceful status.

‘We expect that Western countries, which declare their commitment to freedom of navigation on the high seas, will begin adhering to this principle themselves.’

Under international law, ships are protected by the country whose flag they fly. But maritime experts say the tanker’s rebranding is unlikely to deter US action.

Dimitris Ampatzidis, senior risk and compliance analyst at maritime intelligence firm Kpler, told BBC Verify that changing the ship’s name and flag may count for little.

‘US action is driven by the vessel’s underlying identity [IMO number], ownership/control networks, and sanctions history, not by its painted markings or flag claim,’ he said.

RAF fighter jets scrambled to intercept a Venezuelan oil tanker in the Atlantic yesterday as the US plotted a dramatic mission to seize it. Pictured: A CV-22B Osprey was seen practicing winching exercises off the coast of Felixstowe

RAF fighter jets scrambled to intercept a Venezuelan oil tanker in the Atlantic yesterday as the US plotted a dramatic mission to seize it. Pictured: A CV-22B Osprey was seen practicing winching exercises off the coast of Felixstowe

Ampatzidis added that switching to the Russian registry could spark ‘diplomatic friction’ but would not necessarily prevent US enforcement.

Before any US military operation launched from the UK, Washington would be expected to inform its ally. For now, the UK Ministry of Defence has declined to comment, saying it will not discuss the military activities of other nations.

It could see a repeat of scenes from last month when the US Coast Guard led a dramatic raid on The Skipper, a tanker used to transport sanctioned oil from Venezuela and Iran.

The US says the network of shadow vessels raises funds for ‘foreign terrorist organisations’, using the cause as justification for armed US personnel abseiling from helicopters onto The Skipper.

Tankers and cargo ships have been fleeing Venezuela as the US had increased its pressure on the country in recent weeks.

Mr Trump imposed a blockade of all sanctioned tankers bound for Venezuela in December. But the Marinera evaded US officials and set off across the Atlantic.

More than a dozen sanctioned tankers fled Venezuela in ‘dark mode’ in an effort to evade the US blockade.

The 16 vessels, mostly loaded with Venezuelan crude oil and fuel, used tactics that included disguising their locations or turning off their transmission signals.

Bosses from US oil companies are expected to visit the White House as early as tomorrow to discuss investments in Venezuela, Reuters reported.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: ‘As routine, we do not comment on the operational activity of other nations, including third party use of UK bases.

‘The US is the UK’s principal defence and security partner. The depth of our defence relationship with the US remains an essential part of our security.’

You May Also Like

Archaeologists Uncover Skeletal Remains in Peru Believed to Be Ancient Ritual Offering

LIMA, Peru — Archaeologists in Peru have presented newly uncovered human skeletal…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set to Move Back to the UK

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to the United…

Sandra Bullock Shares Rare Glimpse of Life With Her Kids in New Photos

Sandra Bullock offered followers an unusually personal look at life away from…

Lindsay Clancy’s Psychologist Delivers Major Defense Win

Lindsay Clancy’s defense gained significant support Wednesday when her psychologist told jurors…

Hayden Panettiere Reveals Zebra Accident Pain Haunted Her for 20 Years

Hayden Panettiere has previously opened up about a frightening on-set accident involving…

Diane Keaton’s Former Los Angeles Mansion Sells for Millions Under Asking Price

Diane Keaton’s former Los Angeles home in Sullivan Canyon has sold for…

Tennis Fans React as Venus Williams Receives US Open Wild Card at 46

Venus Williams is poised to make another memorable appearance at the US…

Inside Harshita Brella’s Alleged Murder After Arranged Marriage

Throughout her short life, Harshita Brella — a bright, warm-hearted and deeply…

Sandra Bullock Breaks Silence After Longtime Partner Bryan Randall’s Death From ALS

Sandra Bullock is speaking publicly for the first time about the loss…

Man Found Dead at Notorious Haunted Lake in Disturbing Discovery

The body of a 71-year-old Georgia man has been recovered from Lake…

Iran Mulls Strikes on European Military Targets, Report Says

Iran is reportedly examining plans to strike US military targets in Europe…

America’s Oldest Inmate, Given Last Meal 8 Times, Dies at 101

A Connecticut prisoner believed to have served longer than any inmate in…