Sir Ian McKellen, 86, WILL reprise Gandalf despite horror stage fall

Sir Ian McKellen has emphatically declared his intent to step back into Gandalf’s shoes in the forthcoming chapter of the Lord of the Rings saga, despite suffering recent injuries.

The esteemed actor, now 86, shared his enthusiasm for returning to the legendary role he first brought to life in Peter Jackson’s acclaimed film trilogy. The series, which captivated audiences worldwide, includes The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, all released between 2001 and 2003.

The new production, tentatively titled The Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum, is set to hit theaters on December 17, 2027. Filming for this much-anticipated live-action movie is expected to commence in New Zealand in May 2026.

Sir Ian’s commitment might surprise some, especially after an unfortunate incident in June at the Noel Coward Theatre in the West End. During his performance as Sir John Falstaff in Shakespeare’s Henry IV, he suffered a fall that resulted in a chipped vertebra and a fractured wrist.

Nevertheless, Sir Ian remains undeterred by these setbacks as he approaches his 90s. He has firmly stated, “Next year, I’m talking about going back to Middle Earth and reprising a little bit of Gandalf. I am not slowing down.” This determination illustrates his passion for his craft and his beloved character.

Sir Ian McKellen has insisted he will reprise his iconic role as Gandalf in the next instalment of the Lord Of The Rings - despite recent injuries (pictured last year)

Sir Ian McKellen has insisted he will reprise his iconic role as Gandalf in the next instalment of the Lord Of The Rings – despite recent injuries (pictured last year) 

The actor, 86, revealed his plans to return to the role which he initially played in Peter Jackson's film trilogy of The Lord of the Rings - comprising The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, between 2001 and 2003

The actor, 86, revealed his plans to return to the role which he initially played in Peter Jackson’s film trilogy of The Lord of the Rings – comprising The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, between 2001 and 2003

The injuries forced Sir Ian to withdraw from the remaining performances of Henry IV, much to the dismay of his fans. However, his unwavering spirit and dedication to acting continue to inspire audiences around the globe.

He later said he felt ‘ashamed’ and ’emotional’ for letting down West End audiences, and said that it had made him ‘aware there isn’t much time left’.

In his chat with The Mirror, Sir Ian gave a nod to his fall, saying: ‘Well, I am in the sense that however hard you are working on a film, it’s not as hard work as being in the theatre or, as I now realise, anywhere near as dangerous…

‘I think if I had been a bit younger, I might have jumped up or sat down or something to stop it. There was something in my head that was saying, ‘This is the end’….

‘But it was the end of that production for me. I fell into the lap of someone on the front row. And thanks to that lap, and thanks to the padding I was wearing, I did very little damage, but I thought I was a goner.’

In September, Sir Ian mysteriously pulled out of an international premiere for his latest film, The Christophers, on doctors’ orders.

Sir Ian's sparked concern last year when he fell off the stage of the Noel Coward theatre in June during a performance of Player Kings (pictured in the show)

Sir Ian’s sparked concern last year when he fell off the stage of the Noel Coward theatre in June during a performance of Player Kings (pictured in the show) 

Making a pre-recorded appearance at the Toronto Film Festival where his latest black comedy movie was being screened, the celebrated actor confirmed his ‘medical advisers’ had told him he shouldn’t fly, adding ‘Better safe than sorry’.

The Christophers, a dark comedy directed by Steven Soderbergh, also stars Michaela Coel, James Corden and Jessica Gunning.

It follows the tales of the estranged children of a once-famous artist who hire a forger to complete his unfinished works so they can be discovered and sold after his death.

The script was penned by Ed Solomon, Steven’s collaborator on the 2021 crime thriller No Sudden Move, Max miniseries Full Circle, HBO murder mystery Mosaic, and Bill & Ted Face the Music.

Turnaround on the movie was quick – with Sir Ian filming his scenes in February this year – his first work project since his horror West End fall.

Sir Ian McKellen has mysteriously pulled out of an international premiere for his latest film, The Christophers, on doctor's orders (pictured in 2024)

Sir Ian McKellen has mysteriously pulled out of an international premiere for his latest film, The Christophers, on doctor’s orders (pictured in 2024) 

You May Also Like

Archaeologists Uncover Skeletal Remains in Peru Believed to Be Ancient Ritual Offering

LIMA, Peru — Archaeologists in Peru have presented newly uncovered human skeletal…

Sydney Swans Star Isaac Heeney Reportedly at Centre of Alleged Sexual Assault Investigation

Isaac Heeney has emerged as the central figure in a Victoria Police…

Erin Patterson Appeals Three Murder Convictions in Australia Mushroom Poisoning of Elderly Relatives

Convicted triple murderer Erin Patterson returned to court Wednesday to challenge her…

Police Swarm SC Home Tied to Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend

Police were seen arriving Wednesday morning at a South Carolina residence connected…

Scandal-Plagued GOP Rep. Cory Mills Loses Florida Seat to Former TV Anchor Ryan Elijah

Rep. Cory Mills (R-Fla.) saw his campaign for a third term in…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Face Epic Humiliation in Latest Royal Setback

Harry and Meghan’s much-vaunted American dream appears to have run out of…

Forbes 30 Under 30 CEO Killed in Tragic Kenya Helicopter Crash

Roger Duarte, the chief executive previously recognized by Forbes 30 Under 30,…

American Airlines Adds Long-Awaited Cabin Upgrade to Match Rivals

American Airlines is preparing a long-awaited cabin upgrade that will bring its…

Largest Atlantic Great White on Record Reveals New Location

The largest male great white shark ever documented in the Atlantic has…

Two Girls Found Safe in Trailer After Babysitter Abduction, Police Say

Police body camera video shows the tense rescue of two young sisters…

Shoreham tragedy: Family died after girl became trapped in fishing net

A family outing at Shoreham beach ended in devastation after three people…

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Already Have New Home Lined Up

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are said to have quietly lined up…