Share this @internewscast.com

South Australia has recorded five new Covid-19 cases but the state will not go into lockdown alongside 11 million other Australians.

One new infection is linked to a gold mine in the Northern Territory after an infected worker unknowingly exposed 1600 colleagues to the Delta variant – 29 of whom flew into Adelaide.

Premier Steven Marshall told reporters on Wednesday afternoon that the miner, in his 30s, travelled to Alice Springs on June 25 and flew back to South Australia on Saturday, before he returned a negative test.

He was swabbed again on Tuesday and tested positive, along with his wife and three of their children, who are all under the age of 10.

The couple also have a baby who has not tested positive, and they are all isolating at the Thomas Scott Hotel – a dedicated quarantine facility. 

South Australia has recorded its first Covid cases since November last year. Pictured: People wearing face masks in Adelaide

South Australia has recorded its first Covid cases since November last year. Pictured: People wearing face masks in Adelaide

South Australia has recorded its first Covid cases since November last year. Pictured: People wearing face masks in Adelaide 

Pictured: Health workers performing tests at the Covid-19 testing facility in Victoria Park in Adelaide

Pictured: Health workers performing tests at the Covid-19 testing facility in Victoria Park in Adelaide

Pictured: Health workers performing tests at the Covid-19 testing facility in Victoria Park in Adelaide

The family only came into contact with one other person since the miner returned to Adelaide on Saturday, which Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said means the state does not need to go in to lockdown.

The new cases mark the state’s first local infections since the Parafield cluster plunged the state into lockdown in November.

‘We don’t want a lockdown in South Australia,’ Mr Marshall told reporters on Wednesday.

He extended restrictions across the state, including mask wearing and encouraged people to work from home, but encouraged people not to panic buy.

Residential gatherings have been restricted to 10 people, there are still rules against standing while drinking at licensed venues, and no dancing is allowed.

At this stage, there will still be a limited crowd of people at Adelaide Oval for the Crows vs Lions game on Saturday.

South Australia’s borders are still closed to all states except Tasmania and Victoria. 

‘If you develop any symptoms whatsoever, go and get yourself tested,’ Mr Marshall said.  

New restrictions were imposed on South Australians on Monday after the Northern Territory outbreak was announced, despite no new infections at the time. 

On Monday, public indoor gatherings in South Australia were cut to 150 people and masks made mandatory in confined public spaces and ‘high-risk’ settings.

Pubs and restaurants will revert to the one person per two square metres rule, or 50 percent capacity, and buffets are banned.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier (pictured) on Monday said 29 miners from the Northern Territory flew in to South Australia

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier (pictured) on Monday said 29 miners from the Northern Territory flew in to South Australia

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier (pictured) on Monday said 29 miners from the Northern Territory flew in to South Australia

Premier Steven Marshall (pictured) said on Tuesday that the mounting Covid situation in South Australia is 'dangerous'

Premier Steven Marshall (pictured) said on Tuesday that the mounting Covid situation in South Australia is 'dangerous'

Premier Steven Marshall (pictured) said on Tuesday that the mounting Covid situation in South Australia is ‘dangerous’

Masks will be required in residential aged care homes, hospitals, and personal care settings such as salons and gyms.

‘We also highly recommend them for public transport in SA,’ Mr Marshall said. 

A 48-hour lockdown for Alice Springs was announced after the miner tested positive. 

Parts of southeast Queensland and Townsville entered lockdown on Tuesday after recording two new cases.

The Greater Sydney Region has been in lockdown since Saturday after the city saw an explosion of cases in Bondi.

On Wednesday morning, New South Wales recorded 22 new cases.  

Source: Daily Mail

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

How many teacher vacancies are in your school district? The latest county-by-county breakdown

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – As most of the students in Northeast Florida get…

Gabby Petito’s family to sue Moab police for $50 million

The lawsuit will claim police failed to adequately respond to evidence of…

Ezra Miller Charged in Connection With Booze Burglary

Ezra Miller attends TIME 100 Next 2019 at Pier 17 on Nov.…

Cease-fire Begins Between Israel, Iran-backed Palestinian Islamic Jihad

An Egyptian-brokered cease-fire began Sunday evening at 11:30 p.m. local time between…

Actor, singer Olivia Newton-John dies at 73, husband posts on Facebook

Olivia Newton-John, a singer and actor remembered for her iconic performance in…

Italy says “arrivederci” to Domino’s Pizza

It’s a black pie for Domino’s Pizza. After teaming with a local…

Here’s what we know about the FBI search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

(The Hill) — The FBI on Monday searched the Mar-a-Lago estate of…

Timothy James Krueger Sr. Murdered Sarai Llanos Gomez: Cops

Timothy James Krueger Sr., and Sarai Llanos Gomez. A man has been…