Starmer faces choice: block Burnham or face a leadership challenge
Share this @internewscast.com

Labour’s internal tensions escalated into a potential crisis last night as Andy Burnham announced his intention to return to Parliament, signaling the first step towards a challenge against Keir Starmer’s precarious leadership.

In a surprising move that reverberated through the halls of Westminster, Burnham, often dubbed the ‘King of the North’, revealed his desire to contest an impending by-election for Labour. This bold declaration places the Prime Minister in a precarious strategic position.

Should Starmer’s supporters permit Burnham to vie for the Gorton and Denton seat, soon to be vacated by the disgraced former minister Andrew Gwynne, they risk igniting a fierce leadership battle within the party. Conversely, blocking his candidacy could deepen existing divides and portray the Prime Minister as hesitant.

Currently serving as the Mayor of Manchester, Burnham was required to seek approval from Labour’s National Executive Committee (NEC) to participate in the by-election. He submitted his request just in time, mere moments before the 5 p.m. deadline today.

It is understood by The Mail on Sunday that Burnham’s move came after he secured the support of over 100 Labour MPs. Such backing would be sufficient to initiate a formal leadership challenge if he manages to re-enter Parliament.

The day unfolded with remarkable political drama:

  • Angela Rayner was tipped to make a shock return to frontline politics after she was promised her old job of Deputy Prime Minister – plus another Cabinet post – should Mr Burnham get into No 10;
  • Nigel Farage vowed that Reform will derail Mr Burnham’s Westminster comeback by winning the by-election, although an expert analysis for the MoS predicts it will fall to the Green Party;
  • Mr Burnham will trigger a mayoral election in Greater Manchester that will cost taxpayers almost £5million if he becomes an MP.
Labour have plunged deeper towards civil war as Andy Burnham (pictured) announced his bid to become an MP

Labour have plunged deeper towards civil war as Andy Burnham (pictured) announced his bid to become an MP

The move would be his first step in challenging Sir Keir Starmer's leadership (pictured on January 23)

The move would be his first step in challenging Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership (pictured on January 23)

It is now up to the ten members of the ‘officers committee’ of the NEC to decide if Mr Burnham can fight the by-election. The panel – expected to meet tomorrow – is packed with Sir Keir’s supporters, but denying Mr Burnham a chance to stand would risk making the PM look weak.

Mr Burnham’s backers fear that Sir Keir’s absence on a trip to China this week could embolden the NEC, which is chaired by Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood, a Starmer loyalist, to block his rival. Speculation was tonight mounting that the NEC could impose either an all-woman or an exclusively black, Asian and minority ethnic shortlist to thwart Mr Burnham’s ambitions to contest the seat.

But the mayor’s supporters warned that any attempt to torpedo his return to Westminster would be ‘an affront to democracy’ and accused Sir Keir of ‘running scared’ from a leadership challenge.

Mr Burnham posted his letter to the NEC on social media site X at precisely 5pm today. In it, he said it was a ‘difficult decision’ but that he had given ‘careful thought’ to the best interests of the Labour Party and of Manchester.

And despite the divisive effects his manoeuvres are likely to have, he said he wanted to run a ‘hopeful and unifying campaign’.

Mr Burnham insisted: ‘I would be there to support the work of the Government, not undermine it, and I have passed on this assurance to the Prime Minister.’

Mr Burnham’s potential route to the leadership was opened when Mr Gwynne quit as MP last week.

It came a year after The Mail on Sunday revealed the MP was part of a WhatsApp group called Trigger Me Timbers that shared vile racist, sexist and anti-Semitic jokes. No 10 sacked him as Health Minister and he was suspended from the Labour Party.

The Mail on Sunday previously revealed in December that Angela Rayner (pictured on September 25, 2024) had ‘done a deal’ to be Mr Burnham’s running mate.

The Mail on Sunday previously revealed in December that Angela Rayner (pictured on September 25, 2024) had ‘done a deal’ to be Mr Burnham’s running mate.

Mr Burnham’s backers fear that Sir Keir’s absence on a trip to China this week could embolden the NEC, which is chaired by Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood (pictured on November 16, 2025)

Mr Burnham’s backers fear that Sir Keir’s absence on a trip to China this week could embolden the NEC, which is chaired by Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood (pictured on November 16, 2025)

Announcing he was leaving the Commons, Mr Gwynne cited long-term health problems ‘exacerbated by the impact of last year’s events’.

If he was elected as an MP, Mr Burnham would be in a position to mount a leadership challenge against Sir Keir –likely to be triggered if Labour suffers the catastrophic losses it is expected to sustain at the local elections in May.

The MoS revealed in December that Angela Rayner had ‘done a deal’ to be Mr Burnham’s running mate.

Health Secretary Wes Streeting is regarded by Mr Burnham’s supporters as his only credible opponent in the event of a leadership contest.

The NEC is facing pressure to allow Mr Burnham to stand.  Energy Secretary Ed Miliband told the Fabian Society conference today: I very much hope that the local party will have the option of picking Andy as a candidate.’

Last week, Labour MPs told the MoS Mr Miliband will support Mr Burnham’s expected challenge on the understanding he will become Chancellor if Mr Burnham wins. London Mayor Sadiq Khan also backed Mr Burnham’s bid to stand as an MP, saying: ‘I’m a firm believer in the best team having all the talent playing for them.’

And Labour’s deputy leader Lucy Powell – a long-term thorn in Sir Keir’s side – said the decision on whether Mr Burnham should be the candidate ought to be ‘up to Andy and the local members’.

Writing on X, Chris Webb, MP for Blackpool South, said: ‘Our members are the lifeblood of our party and the NEC exists to serve them, not factions. Blocking Andy Burnham from Gorton & Denton will have serious lasting consequences. When you’re 2-0 down at half time, you bring on the super sub to help the team win.’

Health Secretary Wes Streeting (pictured on January 13) is regarded by Mr Burnham’s supporters

Health Secretary Wes Streeting (pictured on January 13) is regarded by Mr Burnham’s supporters

Kate Osborne, MP for Jarrow and Gateshead East, added: ‘We do not need factionalism before party – excluding Andy Burnham if he wants to stand would be a mistake & very weak.’

Others, however, appeared determined to block Mr Burnham. One member of the NEC reportedly told the BBC Newsnight’s Matt Chorley: ‘He will not be the candidate if I’ve got anything to ****ing do with it. Not a chance.’

Labour MP Graham Stringer accused Mr Burnham of ‘taking a big risk with his own career and the future of Labour in Manchester’.

Applications to stand as Labour’s by-election candidate close at midnight tonight.

In a rapid timetable, which critics believe is deliberately short to stymie Mr Burnham, a longlist of candidates, probably six, will be drawn up on Monday by a selection panel, shortlisting interviews will be held on Tuesday and hustings and selection will take place next Saturday.

Labour insiders estimate it could cost the party £1.5 million to organise and fight both a Westminster by-election and a ballot for the Greater Manchester mayoralty.

Even if the NEC allows him to fight the by-election, Mr Burnham will face a strong challenge from Reform and the Green Party.

An exclusive analysis commissioned by the MoS, which takes into account latest polling data, predicted that the seat could fall to the Greens.

But the study also shows that Reform would win if the Tories agreed not to stand – a forecast that will fuel calls for the parties on the Right to unite.

Analysis shows the two parties would gain 81 more seats between them if they entered a pact against the Left at the next general election.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Starmer Takes Swift Action to Address Trump’s New 15% Tariff Initiative

Keir Starmer is working frantically to mitigate the potential economic fallout from…

Undercover Police Visit Royal Lodge Amid Ongoing Investigation into Prince Andrew

For the fourth consecutive day, unmarked police vehicles arrived at Royal Lodge…

Fergie Commits to Wellness: Checks into World’s Priciest Health Retreat for Ultimate Self-Care

Sarah Ferguson sought solace at the world’s priciest wellness center amid fallout…

Leading U.S. Bank Confirms Closure of Trump’s Accounts

Outrage has erupted among conservatives after JPMorgan Chase terminated Donald Trump’s personal…

Shocking New Theory Unveils Chilling Details Behind Teen’s Mysterious Death

A former prosecutor has come forward to explain why he remains outspoken…

Former Ambassador Trump’s Controversial Comments on Israel Ignite Public Outcry

The U.S. ambassador to Israel is facing criticism following his remarks regarding…

Southern City Becomes Top Destination for Coastal Americans Seeking Tax Relief

In recent years, an increasing number of affluent Americans have been opting…

NFL Mourns Loss of Vikings’ Rondale Moore at 25: Fans and Teammates Share Heartfelt Tributes

In a heartbreaking turn of events, Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Rondale Moore…

Revealed: German Countess’s Link Between Jeffrey Epstein and UK Government Uncovered

Nicole Junkermann, a sophisticated German countess with significant wealth, was known for…

Gubernatorial Candidate Faces Backlash Over Controversial Gesture at Campaign Event

A candidate in the California governor’s race has sparked outrage among the…

Heartbreaking Farewell: Eric Dane’s Girlfriend Speaks Out on His Tragic ALS Passing

Eric Dane’s grieving partner, Janell Shirtcliff, paid tribute to him on Saturday,…

Liberal Hub in the U.S. Faces $8 Million Setback with Cold-Resistant Bus Fleet Issues

In an unexpected setback for Vermont’s environmental initiatives, the state’s efforts to…