LA wildfires survivors forking over thousands to reconnect power lines
Share this @internewscast.com

Those who survived last year’s catastrophic Eaton wildfires find themselves grappling with a new hardship: the steep cost of reconnecting their homes to electricity.

The devastating fires, which ignited in early 2025, swept through Southern California, claiming 19 lives and obliterating countless homes in areas such as Altadena, Pasadena, and Sierra Madre.

Even now, more than a year later, a significant number of residents remain homeless, and some face the staggering challenge of shouldering expenses amounting to tens of thousands just to restore electrical connections to their homes.

In a decision made last April, Southern California Edison declared its intention to rebuild the region’s power grid by transitioning from conventional overhead lines to a modern underground system.

Nevertheless, a pre-existing state regulation mandates that residents cover the costs to link their properties to this new subterranean network.

For residents in Altadena, the quoted prices for such a connection range between $20,000 and $40,000, adding further strain to those already affected by the disaster.

Altadena Town Councilmember Connor Cipolla told the Los Angeles Times that residents were ‘angry’ about the expensive price tag, adding that the community was ‘completely blindsided.’ 

Cipolla said that the electrical panel on the back of his house is yards away from where he needs to connect to the power line. 

The Eaton Wildfire ravaged neighborhoods in Southern California at the start of 2025. The wildfires killed 19 in Altadena and destroyed thousands of homes. Pictured above is a home burning in Altadena on January 8, 2025

The Eaton Wildfire ravaged neighborhoods in Southern California at the start of 2025. The wildfires killed 19 in Altadena and destroyed thousands of homes. Pictured above is a home burning in Altadena on January 8, 2025 

Residents of Altadena are now claiming that Southern California Edison is charging up to $40,000 to reconnect their homes to new underground power lines. Pictured here are workers repairing lines on January 14, 2025

Residents of Altadena are now claiming that Southern California Edison is charging up to $40,000 to reconnect their homes to new underground power lines. Pictured here are workers repairing lines on January 14, 2025 

SoCal Edison hasn't admitted fault for the fire, but several lawsuits have alleged blame. The company announced underground infrastructure as a prevention measure. Pictured here are electric workers in Altadena in January, 2025

SoCal Edison hasn’t admitted fault for the fire, but several lawsuits have alleged blame. The company announced underground infrastructure as a prevention measure. Pictured here are electric workers in Altadena in January, 2025 

He explained that Edison initially told him to dig up his newly paved driveway. The company eventually agreed to a different location. 

Carolyn Hove, another Altadena resident, told the LA Times: ‘How much more are we supposed to go through?’

‘It’s bad enough our community was decimated by a fire Edison started. We’re still very traumatized, and then to have this happen.’

The cause of the devastating fire is still under investigation, but two lawsuits filed by the US Department of Justice claim that high-voltage transmission lines operated by SoCal Edison sparked the flames. 

Several residents have also filed lawsuits against the electric company and Los Angeles County. 

Edison has filed lawsuits against Los Angeles County, six water agencies and the Southern California Gas Agency, alleging that their actions contributed to the scale of the devastation. 

The electric company hasn’t admitted fault, but launched a payment program last fall for residents who agreed not to sue. 

The deadline to apply passed in November. SoCal Edison announced on Friday that they sent more than 500 compensation offers totally $165 million to those impacted by the fire. 

President and Chief Executive Officer Pedro Pizarro said last spring that the new infrastructure would cost residents an estimated $8,000 to $10,000. He's pictured above on March 7, 2025

President and Chief Executive Officer Pedro Pizarro said last spring that the new infrastructure would cost residents an estimated $8,000 to $10,000. He’s pictured above on March 7, 2025 

Pictured: Brandon Tolentino

Pictured: Connor Cipolla

Edison executive Brandon Tolentino said the company was working with residents to rebuild. Altadena Town Councilmember Connor Cipolla said residents were ‘angry’ about the price tag 

Residents who agreed not to sue were awarded compensation to rebuild their homes by SoCal Edison last fall. Pictured above are Altadena residents protesting on February 12, after claims that county officials and power companies could've prevented the fire

Residents who agreed not to sue were awarded compensation to rebuild their homes by SoCal Edison last fall. Pictured above are Altadena residents protesting on February 12, after claims that county officials and power companies could’ve prevented the fire 

Residents who agreed not to sue and received the compensation can use it to rebuild their homes. 

The Eaton Fire Survivors Network called SoCal Edison’s help a ‘failure’ and a ‘drop in the bucket.’

The advocacy group added that Edison should be required to pay displaced households $200,000 without forcing them to agree not to litigate, Pasadena Now reported. 

Edison told local news outlet KTLA in January that safety was the company’s top priority, which was the main motivator for rebuilding the power grid underground. 

‘As a part of Edison’s public utility commission-approved tariffs, homeowners do bear that cost to connect electric service from their property line to the undergrounding service,’ a spokesperson for the electric company said in a statement. 

‘At the same time, we are exploring other opportunities, either through state or federal grants or other funding opportunities, and or philanthropic opportunities to offset some of those costs.’

The company’s rebuilding plans were announced in a letter from CEO Pedro Pizarro to Governor Gavin Newsom last year. 

Residents are still rebuilding their homes a year after the wildfires destroyed their community. Pictured above is the devastation after the wildfire in Altadena 

SoCal Edison has said they are working to help residents rebuild, but some have accused the electric company of overcharging them. Pictured above is a home in Altadena burning on January 8, 2025

SoCal Edison has said they are working to help residents rebuild, but some have accused the electric company of overcharging them. Pictured above is a home in Altadena burning on January 8, 2025 

Pizarro said at the time that the underground infrastructure would cost $8,000 to $10,000 per home. Residents are now claiming the actual cost is significantly higher. 

Brandon Tolentino, SoCal’s Vice President of Wildfire and Business Resiliency, told the LA Times that the company understands it’s a high cost and they’re ‘looking at different sources’ to help residents.  

However, Mark Ellis, the former chief economist at Southern California Gas and San Diego Gas & Electric, told the LA Times that, according to his calculations, charging residents for the underground power grid will turn a profit for Edison. 

Tolentino said that the primary reason for the underground infrastructure was ‘wildfire mitigation,’ adding, ‘Our focus is supporting the community as they rebuild.’ 

The Daily Mail has reached out to SoCal Edison for additional comment.  

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

California High-Speed Rail Executive Faces Domestic Battery Charges

The head of America’s most ambitious transportation initiative, the California High-Speed Rail…

Public Outcry as Plan to Cull 3 Million Dogs Emerges Ahead of World Cup

Disturbing images and accounts of dogs being killed in Morocco have sparked…

Australian Nurse Faces Financial Devastation as Super Fund Collapses, Wiping Out $560,000 Savings

A nurse who found herself entangled in the First Guardian Master Fund…

Arrow’s David Ramsey Opens Up About His Courageous Cancer Fight

In a candid revelation, actor David Ramsey has opened up about a…

Image: Woman Tragically Killed Alongside Child by Transgender Former Partner

A tragic shooting at a high school hockey game in Rhode Island…

Cause of Death for Tommy Lee Jones’ Daughter Victoria Finally Disclosed

The mystery surrounding Victoria Jones’s untimely passing has been unveiled over a…

Australian Billionaire Faces Dramatic Drop in Wealth

The recent global tech downturn has significantly impacted Mike Cannon-Brookes, co-founder of…

Teenager Falls 50 Feet from Bridge During TikTok Challenge Attempt

A teenager, aged 16, found himself in a perilous situation after plunging…

Breaking News: Rhode Island Hockey Shooting Update – Second Victim Identified in Tragedy Involving Transgender Dad

A tragic incident unfolded at a high school hockey game in Rhode…

Australians Express Concern Over Device Emitting Annoying Noise on Bridge

Australians are expressing outrage over a controversial device that emits loud, sharp…

Outraged Mother Fights Back: Council’s Developer Deal Slashes £50K from Home Value

A mother has expressed her distress after discovering that the local council…

From Convict to Millionaire: How a TV Show Transformed a Bricklayer’s Life

A former bricklayer from Cumnock, Ayrshire, who struck it rich with a…