Share this @internewscast.com
A Virginia elementary school teacher reportedly contacted administrators about a 6-year-old student’s behavior weeks before he shot her in the classroom in January.
According to WVEC, school documents stated that Richneck teacher Abigail Zwerner, 25, emailed admins throughout the school year about the boy’s behavioral reports and problems. In late November, Zwerner allegedly wrote to then-Principal Briana Foster-Newton and then-Assistant Principal Dr. Ebony Parker about incidents in which the boy stuck his middle finger to a classmate and bumped into another student while running before knocking them to the ground.
“As of today, I do not feel comfortable with him returning to my classroom today…” Zwerner allegedly wrote.
In a second email, Zwerner reportedly told them she has scheduled a meeting with the boy’s father to address “behavioral difficulties” and get the boy some support.
Weeks later, on January 6, the 6-year-old boy reportedly shot Zwerner as she taught 20 other students. The gun he used allegedly belonged to his mother, who obtained it legally.
Superintendent George Parker III previously stated that “at least one administrator” was aware of a possible weapon in the boy’s possession prior to the shooting. On the day of the shooting, the boy reportedly arrived at school late and his backpack was inspected in the front office.
It remains unclear why the gun was not located during that check.
Zwerner’s lawyer, Diane Toscano, has alleged that three teachers went to administrators about the boy’s behavior on the day of the shooting, including Zwerner. Zwerner reportedly told administrators that the student had threatened to beat up a classmate. Later, another teacher reportedly told administrators that they searched his backpack.
Though the gun was not located, that teacher said the gun may be in the boy’s pocket, the Associated Press reported.
According to Toscano, a third teacher informed administrators that the boy brandished a gun at recess and threatened to shoot a classmate if he told.
The lawyer also claimed that another teacher asked to search the boy but administrators denied the request as they wanted to “wait [out] the situation out because the school day was almost over.”
No criminal charges have been filed in this case. According to the boy’s family, he has been in treatment since the shooting. In late January, Toscano announced their intention to sue the school district for its apparent negligence.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:
Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.
[Featured image: Abigail Zwerner/GoFundMe]