Share this @internewscast.com
A Texas tot is being hailed as a hero for alerting his parents that their home was on fire moments before it was consumed by the flames.
Nathan and Kayla Dahl had just enough time to escape the house in tiny Alvord with their five children – including alert little Brandon, 2, who woke up his parents with the words “Momma, hot! Momma, hot!” she told WFAA 8 News in Dallas of the Jan. 15 fire.
“He saved our entire family,” Kayla Dahl said. “I mean, he is our little mini hero.”
His parents had lost their sense of smell battling COVID-19, so were not aware smoke was starting to fill the house — because none of the smoke detectors in the home went off.
“We had brand new, less than a year old, smoke alarms in our house,” Nathan Dahl said. “None of them went off.”
“We had seconds,” he continued. “It’s nothing short of a miracle.”
Luckily, the family had prepared for the worst.
Nathan Dahl, a volunteer with the Alvord Fire Department, prepared his family how to react in the event of a fire. “We’ve had a plan. This is how everything’s going to go.”
Brandon was sleeping in the living room, where officials believe the fire was ignited by a gas heater. The little boy walked away from the flames and into his parents’ bedroom, and was coughing as he woke his mom around 4:30 a.m.
“I just saw the flames coming out of our living room and into our bedroom,” Kayla Dahl said.
“She’s screaming, ‘Fire! Fire! Fire!’” Nathan Dahl said. “My initial thought was, ‘OK, I’m going to get up and I’m going to get to work.’”
The family escaped without burns or smoke injuries, save for some singed hairs on Brandon’s head, the parents said.
Alvord, has a population of 1,300 and is located about an hour northwest of Dallas.