Rayner crisis fuelled by Labour war over who to succeed PM, Tories say
Share this @internewscast.com

The controversy surrounding Angela Rayner is being intensified by an internal Labour ‘civil war’ concerning who will replace Keir Starmer, claimed the Tories yesterday.

Shadow Cabinet minister Alex Burghart remarked that high-ranking Labour members are more preoccupied with positioning themselves to succeed the Prime Minister than addressing the country’s current issues.

Burghart suggested it was ‘very likely’ that damaging details about Ms. Rayner’s personal and financial matters are being leaked by Labour competitors who assume Sir Keir will be ousted due to his poor poll numbers.

“This is the kind of internal conflict we will see more of publicly as Labour politicians worry about the collapse of Keir Starmer’s leadership and begin to brief against one another,” he mentioned to the Daily Mail.

‘The Prime Minister’s popularity is at rock bottom and it is no surprise that the vultures are circling. 

“While they engage in this infighting, they neglect the public’s needs, like the Channel crisis or economic issues. Their sole focus is on their personal advancement.”

The Tories have officially requested an investigation to determine if the Deputy Prime Minister breached the ministerial code in the acquisition of an £800,000 secondary home.

The move follows an outcry over claims that Ms Rayner avoided £40,000 in stamp duty by telling the taxman that the luxury property in Hove is her main home, while telling the Cabinet Office that her primary residence is her former family home 260 miles away in Greater Manchester. 

The sleaze crisis engulfing Angela Rayner (pictured attending a weekly Cabinet meeting last month) is being fuelled by a Labour 'civil war' over who should succeed Keir Starmer, the Tories claimed yesterday

The sleaze crisis engulfing Angela Rayner (pictured attending a weekly Cabinet meeting last month) is being fuelled by a Labour ‘civil war’ over who should succeed Keir Starmer, the Tories claimed yesterday

Shadow Cabinet minister Alex Burghart (pictured) said senior Labour figures were more interested in jockeying for position to take over from the Prime Minister than in dealing with the problems facing the country

Shadow Cabinet minister Alex Burghart (pictured) said senior Labour figures were more interested in jockeying for position to take over from the Prime Minister than in dealing with the problems facing the country

Mr Burghart said it was 'very likely' that damaging information about Ms Rayner's personal life and tax affairs is being leaked by Labour rivals who believe Sir Keir Starmer (pictured earlier this month) will be forced out over his dire poll ratings

Mr Burghart said it was ‘very likely’ that damaging information about Ms Rayner’s personal life and tax affairs is being leaked by Labour rivals who believe Sir Keir Starmer (pictured earlier this month) will be forced out over his dire poll ratings

When parliament is sitting she is thought to live mainly in a third property – a lavish grace-and-favour apartment in central London, funded by the taxpayer.

Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson yesterday insisted Ms Rayner had done nothing wrong. But as the drip-drip of allegations continued:

  • It emerged that Ms Rayner’s boyfriend, former Labour MP Sam Tarry, has worked for a lobbying firm whose clients have received a £280,000 government grant;
  • The Mail on Sunday revealed that Ms Rayner employed a firm specialising in ‘wealth protection’ to help dispose of her share in her former family home in Greater Manchester;
  • Speculation mounted that Ms Rayner’s move to Hove could be part of a ‘chicken run’ strategy to find a safe seat on the south coast and avoid being ejected from parliament by Reform;
  • Labour MPs urged the Deputy PM to make a public statement setting out where she lives and how much stamp duty she paid in her recent property dealings.

Mr Burghart told Times Radio that the personal nature of the information leaked against Ms Rayner meant it was ‘very likely that this sort of information was briefed by Angela Rayner’s opponents in the Labour Party’, adding: ‘We know some people see her as the next prime minister if Keir Starmer was to fall.’

He noted that Ms Rayner’s department is considering a change in the law to prevent elected mayors from standing as MPs – a move that would block potential rivals such as Andy Burnham and Sir Sadiq Khan from standing for the leadership.

The Conservatives have lodged a formal demand for an investigation into whether the Deputy Prime Minister broke the ministerial code during the purchase of an £800,000 second home. Pictured: File photo of residential buildings in Hove, East Sussex, where Ms Rayner's new home is

The Conservatives have lodged a formal demand for an investigation into whether the Deputy Prime Minister broke the ministerial code during the purchase of an £800,000 second home. Pictured: File photo of residential buildings in Hove, East Sussex, where Ms Rayner’s new home is 

Mr Burghart noted Ms Rayner's department is considering a change in the law to prevent elected mayors from standing as MPs ¿ a move that would block potential rivals such as Andy Burnham (pictured in January) and Sir Sadiq Khan from standing for the leadership

Mr Burghart noted Ms Rayner’s department is considering a change in the law to prevent elected mayors from standing as MPs – a move that would block potential rivals such as Andy Burnham (pictured in January) and Sir Sadiq Khan from standing for the leadership

Sir Keir moved last week to remove a third senior aide, with MPs speculating the PM's Svengali-like chief of staff Morgan McSweeney (pictured in February) is losing his grip

Sir Keir moved last week to remove a third senior aide, with MPs speculating the PM’s Svengali-like chief of staff Morgan McSweeney (pictured in February) is losing his grip

Labour MPs are dismayed by the lack of initiatives emerging from Downing Street during parliament’s summer recess – a vacuum which has allowed Reform leader Nigel Farage to dominate the national conversation. 

Two opinion polls in the past week have put Labour support on a record low of 20 per cent.

Sir Keir moved last week to remove a third senior aide, with MPs speculating the PM’s Svengali-like chief of staff Morgan McSweeney is losing his grip.

Allies of Ms Rayner insist she is the victim of a smear campaign. 

Ms Phillipson said Ms Rayner had followed the rules. ‘Angela Rayner is an adult, if she wants to buy a flat she can buy a flat.’

Ms Rayner faced damaging new leaks yesterday. 

The Sun revealed that Mr Tarry has worked for the lobbying group Henham Strategy, which has several clients with interests that fall within the Deputy Prime Minister’s brief.

There is no suggestion Mr Tarry has acted improperly, but Tory chairman Kevin Hollinrake said Ms Rayner should ‘come clean’ about whether she has recused herself from any decisions relating to his commercial interests. 

The Cabinet Office said she had followed the standard process for managing her interests.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Jordon Hudson Flaunts Her Figure and Unveils a New $100,000 Vehicle

A composed yet sparingly dressed Jordon Hudson was recently seen driving a…

Elizabeth Olsen Reveals Mary-Kate and Ashley Felt ‘Compelled’ to Support Her Career

Elizabeth Olsen recently opened up about her experiences growing up alongside her…

Friends Unveil Insights into Tupac’s Personal Life and Sexuality

When a 17-year-old Tupac Shakur first entered Leila Steinberg’s living room, she…

Search for Missing Cave Diver Ends in Tragedy

An interstate cave diving trip turned tragic in South Australia, resulting in…

Tragic Carjacking Incident Claims Lives of Father and Three Children in Devastating Crash

The tragic incident that claimed five lives, including that of the suspected…

Achieve Lasting Weight Loss: Discover the 30-Day Detox Plan to Get Fit Without Ozempic

Growing up, I wasn’t the picture of a fitness guru or health…

Reeves Avoids Direct Eye Contact with Kemi Badenoch During Tense Television Debate

Rachel Reeves avoided making eye contact with Kemi Badenoch today after the…

Explosive Sea Drone Attack Dismantles Russian Shadow Fleet Tankers: A Closer Look at Maritime Warfare

This gripping moment captures the destruction of two Russian tankers from the…

Since 2021, Thousands of Afghans Identified as National Security Concerns

A significant number of Afghan nationals who entered the United States following…

Disney Executive Unveils Strategy to Enhance Guest Experience by Reducing Smartphone Distractions

Disney is grappling with a challenge that threatens to diminish the enchantment…

Suspect Indicted in Fatal Shooting of 18-Year-Old Cheerleader

A man accused of fatally shooting an 18-year-old cheerleader during a late-night…

Virginia Giuffre’s Son Steps Into the Spotlight: Exclusive Insights on Epstein Scandal Survivor’s Family

Virginia Giuffre’s oldest son has emerged publicly for the first time since…