Heartbreaking update on young boy mauled by a shark
Share this @internewscast.com

The family of 12-year-old Nico Antic, who suffered a shark attack in Sydney Harbour, has announced his passing at the hospital.

Nico was enjoying a day at Nielsen Park in Sydney’s eastern suburbs when the incident occurred. At approximately 4:20 p.m. on Sunday, he was leaping from a six-meter rock ledge into the water when a suspected bull shark attacked him.

In the aftermath of the attack, Nico sustained severe injuries to both of his legs. His survival was initially thanks to the bravery of one of his five friends, who courageously jumped in to pull him back onto the rocks, all while the shark lurked nearby.

Despite these efforts, his parents, Lorena and Juan Antic, released a statement through The Children’s Hospital in Randwick on Saturday, confirming the tragic news of his death.

“We are heartbroken to share that our son, Nico, has passed away,” they expressed in their statement.

“Nico was a happy, friendly, and sporty young boy filled with kindness and generosity. He was always full of life, and that is how we will remember him,” they added.

‘We would like to sincerely thank the first responders and the teams at Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick, for everything they did to care for Nico. We would also like to thank everyone in the community for their support and kind messages.

‘We ask you please respect our privacy during this exceptionally difficult time.’

The family of 12-year-old Nico Antic (pictured), who was attacked by a shark in Sydney Harbour, have confirmed he has died

Nico Antic (pictured with his dad) has been described as a 'happy, friendly, and sporty boy'

Nico Antic (pictured with his dad) has been described as a ‘happy, friendly, and sporty boy’

The young friend who dragged him out of the water has previously described how Nico, who was due to turn 13 in February, fought for his life during the incident.

‘He kept fighting and breathing in my arms and he never gave up for a second,’ the friend told 7News on Friday.

‘He was the most stubborn person I know and I’m grateful I was there for his last moments awake.

‘There was a brief second where Nico woke up while he was bleeding and he just looked at me and then stopped and I thought I lost him, and I’m so surprised he fought for so long.’

Family friend Victor Pineiro set up a fundraiser on Tuesday to help the family cover expenses, which has collected more than $238,000.

‘Nico was attacked by a shark on Sunday in Sydney Harbour and sustained life-threatening injuries,’ he said, describing it as the ‘worst possible outcome’.

Friends on social media said earlier this week that Nico’s extended family live overseas and will have to travel to Australia to say their goodbyes.

‘Fly high Nico, you were such a nice kid and a gun at rugby,’ one friend wrote, 7News reports.

Pictured: A map of the shark attacks on the NSW coast between Sunday and Tuesday

Pictured: A map of the shark attacks on the NSW coast between Sunday and Tuesday

The friend of Nico, who pulled him from the water, said he never stopped fighting

The friend of Nico, who pulled him from the water, said he never stopped fighting

‘It hurts to see you go this early. No one deserves to lose their life this young.’

Another said: ‘I don’t know what I’ll do without you… Every time I was with you, you made everything feel more fun, no matter what it was.

‘Still can’t accept that you’re gone, it doesn’t feel real.’

The attack was the first in a spate of four shark encounters to hit Australia’s most populous state in three days.

On Monday, an 11-year-old boy had an encounter with another shark, which took a large bite out of his surfboard in Dee Why, near Manly in Sydney’s northern suburbs.

That same evening, Andre de Ruyter, 27, was attacked by a bull shark while surfing in Manly, in Sydney’s northern suburbs.

He was rushed to hospital with critical leg injuries but has since made a recovery.

On Tuesday, a 39‑year‑old was attacked at Point Plomer on the NSW Mid North Coast.

The shark bit through the man’s wetsuit and took a chunk out of his board. He reportedly drove himself to Kempsey District Hospital.

All NSW beaches are expected to be open for the Australia Day long weekend despite the spate of shark attacks which prompted days-long closures.

Manly beach was briefly closed on Saturday morning after a shark was spotted about 7am. It has since reopened.

NSW’s shark management program, given a $2.5 million boost in December, includes SMART drumlines and drone patrols at 50 beaches during school holidays.

Extra fresh water in the harbour after recent heavy rain, combined with the splashing effect from people jumping off a rock face, created a ‘perfect storm’ for Sunday’s shark attack, Superintendent Joseph McNulty said.

‘I would recommend not swimming in the harbour or our other river systems across NSW at this time,’ he told reporters before the Dee Why incident was reported.

Heavy swell has also prevented the operation of smart drumlines, which have notified authorities of shark activity along most of the NSW coast since Sunday.

More to come. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Rebecca Gayheart Spotted in Public for the First Time Following Eric Dane’s Passing

Rebecca Gayheart, the widow of Eric Dane, has been seen publicly for…

Real Housewives Star Faces Driving Ban After £250K Bentley Speeding Scandal

Amanda Cronin, a prominent figure from the Real Housewives of London, has…

Discover Effective Weight Loss Strategies: Shed Pounds Quickly and Sustainably Without Injections or Strict Diets

Many people who have experienced weight loss know the frustrating cycle of…

Prawn Toast Makes a Comeback: Discover Which Supermarket Offers the Most Flavorful Version

As Chinese New Year approaches, supermarkets are bustling with a variety of…

Minister Demands Immediate Removal of Prince Andrew from Royal Succession Lineup

In a significant political development, Defence Minister Luke Pollard has become the…

Logan Paul Publicly Apologizes to Alix Earle Following Controversial Remarks

Logan Paul, known for his role in WWE as well as his…

Controversy Erupts as Texas National Park Faces Threat from Proposed Border Wall Construction

Conservation organizations are raising concerns following a recent move by President Donald…

Irresponsible Mom’s Alarming Excuses After Abandoning Kids in Uber

A Florida mother, allegedly intoxicated, is facing charges after reportedly leaving her…

Jersey Shore’s Snooki, 38, Opens Up About Cancer Battle: A Heartfelt Journey of Strength and Resilience

Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi, known for her role on Jersey Shore, has announced…

Revealed: The Hidden Struggles and Secrets of JFK Jr’s Private Life

Artist Sasha Chermayeff was among the few who truly knew John F.…

Timothy Busfield Denies Charges: Actor Pleads Not Guilty to Child Sexual Contact Allegations

Timothy Busfield has entered a plea of not guilty to four charges…

Uncover the Iconic ’80s Actor Who Shared the Screen with Tom Cruise – Can You Name Him?

An iconic figure from some of the most memorable films of the…