Share this @internewscast.com
() — U.S. Department of Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer is embarking on a nationwide “listening tour” following the release of an impressive jobs report indicating the economy expanded by 280,000 positions last month.
Tempering that good news is the stunning two-day market downturn that followed President Trump’s Wednesday announcement of global tariffs.
Chavez-DeRemer mentioned that union leaders have supported the president’s trade initiative, which Trump asserts will bolster the U.S. economy long-term by generating new jobs domestically.
“Our focus is on rebuilding in America, bringing these jobs back, and encouraging businesses to invest hundreds of billions of dollars to become the exporters we need to be,” Chavez-DeRemer told “CUOMO” on Friday. “We will need these workers to construct these plants and factories as we progress.”
Many economists disagree with the Trump administration’s tariff strategy and say it could spur a recession at home. Chavez-DeRemer said Trump used tariffs successfully in his first term.
“The president is … making the best protections for the American worker. Wherever he has to make a move or pivot, it’s always going to be that he’s protecting us,” she said.
The Labor Department said Chavez-DeRemer will meet with a broad array of stakeholders during her “America at Work” listening tour. Her first stop takes place this weekend in Pennsylvania.