5.9k Share this

Khashoggi’s fiancee said she would appeal the decision that comes despite warnings from human rights groups.

A Turkish court has ruled to suspend the trial in absentia of 26 Saudis accused in the killing of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi and for the case to be transferred to Saudi Arabia.

The 59-year-old journalist was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018.

Last week, the prosecutor had called for the trial in absentia to be transferred to Saudi authorities.

Turkey’s justice minister later said the government would approve the request.

“We decided to halt and hand over the case to Saudi Arabia,” the Istanbul court said on Thursday, granting the prosecutor’s request on March 31.

The decision came despite warnings from human rights groups that turning the case over to the kingdom would lead to a cover-up of the killing, which a 2018 US intelligence report had linked to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

[embedded content]

Khashoggi’s fiancee, Hatice Cengiz, a Turkish academic and researcher, said she would appeal the decision.

Turkey “is not ruled by a family like in Saudi Arabia”, she said, telling journalists outside the court that “we have a justice system that addresses citizens’ grievances”.

“We will appeal the decision in line with our legal system,” she added.

Turkey has been trying to repair its relationship with Saudi Arabia and an array of other countries in the region.

On Wednesday, Human Rights Watch (HRW) had called on the Turkish government to abandon the plan.

“Transferring the Khashoggi trial from Turkey to Saudi Arabia would end any possibility of justice for him, and would reinforce Saudi authorities’ apparent belief that they can get away with murder,” Michael Page, deputy Middle East director at HRW, said in a statement.

“The Turkish authorities should reverse their decision and not contribute any further to entrenching Saudi impunity by handing over the Khashoggi case to the very people implicated in his murder.”

A Saudi court sentenced eight lower-level operatives found responsible for the murder to prison terms of seven to 20 years in a trial that lacked transparency.

In November 2018, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the murder was “premeditated” and that the order to kill Khashoggi came from the “highest levels” of the Saudi government.

The Turkish government has since reversed its statements calling for an international investigation into the murder.

[embedded content]

Source: Al Jazeera

5.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Leading PA Dem Candidate for Senate John Fetterman Suffers Stroke

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, the favorite to win the state’s Democrat…

Barnette Losing Support, Voters Shifting to McCormick, Sands

Pennsylvania Republican voters are shifting their support from Kathy Barnette towards other…

British Eurovision hero Sam Ryder salutes Ukraine by wearing winner Oleg Psiuk’s trademark pink hat

Sam Ryder said he felt ‘fantastic’ and that he would have a…

Doug Mastriano Wins Pennsylvania Republican Gubernatorial Primary

Pennsylvania state Sen. Doug Mastriano (R), endorsed by former President Donald Trump…

Sandstorm Halts Flights, Shuts Down Schools, Hospitalizes 4,000

A massive sandstorm blew through Iraq on Monday, forcing daily life to…

Revealed, charity cashing in on campus culture wars

Revealed, charity cashing in on campus culture wars: Universities charged thousands of…

Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard trial latest: Heard says 2018 abuse op-ed wasn’t about her ex-husband

LIVE JOHNNY DEPP VS AMBER HEARD LIVE UPDATES: Amber Heard admits ACLU…

Bruno Tonioli QUITS Strictly Come Dancing after 18 years to continue judging Dancing With The Stars

Bruno Tonioli QUITS Strictly Come Dancing after 18 years to concentrate on…