Share this @internewscast.com
A government minister has stated that “all options” are being considered as a senior MP called for a parliamentary investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s connections with Jeffrey Epstein.
Bridget Phillipson emphasized that the government is prepared to take any necessary measures, but noted that any actions should come after the police conclude their investigation.
This statement follows comments from former security minister Tom Tugendhat, who suggested that a special committee comprising MPs, peers, and retired judges should examine the state implications of the situation.
Tugendhat argued that the matter extends “beyond the scope of a typical court case,” indicating that the inquiry should have the authority to call witnesses and request evidence.
According to Dai Davies, a former leader of Scotland Yard’s Royal Protection Command, an independent inquiry led by a judge is essential, as reported by the Mirror.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor (pictured last year) and Lord Mandelson are being investigated by police over allegations of misconduct in public office. Both deny any criminal wrongdoing
Lord Mandelson – who has also had his two properties searched by police – was seen leaving his north London home yesterday
Bridget Phillipson said the government is ready to do ‘whatever it takes’, but stressed action must wait until the police finish investigating
The police are currently investigating the former prince for potential misconduct in public office, alongside ex-Cabinet minister Lord Mandelson. Both individuals have denied any criminal activity.
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor is accused of passing Epstein confidential material from his time as a government trade envoy. He has been arrested and released while the investigation continues.
New Labour architect Lord Mandelson is accused of emailing sensitive Cabinet information to Epstein at the height of the Credit Crunch, while he was a minister in Gordon Brown’s administration.
Mr Tugendhat, a Tory MP, told the Sun on Sunday: ‘This affair raises urgent questions about foreign influence and national security. What did the Palace know? What did ministers know? What else is being hidden?
‘This goes beyond what a court could reasonably consider. Parliament must consider what it means for the country. If the worst is proved, do we need to revisit treason laws written 700 years ago?
He added: ‘If these accusations are true, they expose something rotten at the top of the State. If they are not, the public needs proof that the guardrails are strong.
‘Either way, Parliament must send a clear message – Britain will defend itself from every threat, even if it comes from the very top.’
Mr Mountbatten-Windsor spent 11 hours in police custody on Thursday, on his 66th birthday, before being released under investigation, after allegations he shared sensitive information with Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.
Detectives continued to search his former home, Royal Lodge, in Windsor, Berkshire, on Friday and Saturday.
He has denied any wrongdoing over his links to the convicted sex offender, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.
Despite being stripped of his title last year, the former Duke of York is still eighth in line to the throne and an Act of Parliament would be required to remove Andrew and prevent him from ever becoming king.
Former security minister Tom Tugendhat said a special committee of MPs, peers and retired judges should look into the implications for the state
It is understood Keir Starmer’s Government will consider introducing such legislation once police have finished their investigation into the King’s disgraced brother.
Lord Mandelson – who has also had his two properties searched by police – was seen leaving his north London home yesterday.
A taxi arrived as the former business secretary was seen leaving his front door carrying a tote bag. He smiled at the taxi driver before entering the car, moving past a small group of waiting photographers.
Asked whether the Government would consider launching a judge-led inquiry, Ms Phillipson told Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips on Sky: ‘We’ll look at any sensible proposals that do come forward.
‘But it’s premature at the moment, because we do have the police doing their work.
‘They need to have the time and space to do so, as the King set out, no-one is above the law, and it’s right that the police go wherever the evidence takes them, so that has to be the focus at the moment.’
Pressed on GB News about the prospect of removing Mr Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession, Ms Phillipson said: ‘Our position is that we should keep all of these options open, but we need the police investigation to carry on, so nothing will happen while this police investigation is underway.
‘But we do believe that all options should be open for consideration. This is extremely serious.’