Share this @internewscast.com
Approximately 100 U.S. military personnel and equipment have arrived in Nigeria as of Monday, according to Nigerian military officials. This deployment is meant to bolster local efforts in battling Islamic militants and various armed factions within the country.
The arrival of these U.S. troops is part of a larger initiative between the United States and Nigeria, with plans for an additional 100 troops to join them in the future. This effort is a response to a request from the Nigerian government, which is seeking support in training, technical expertise, and intelligence sharing to address ongoing violence, as reported by the Associated Press.
In total, around 200 personnel from the U.S. Africa Command are expected to be stationed in Nigeria. Officials have emphasized that this mission is oriented towards providing support, with the goal of enhancing the capabilities of Nigerian security forces.
U.S. Army Lt. Gen. John W. Brennan, who serves as the deputy commander of the U.S. Africa Command, arrived in Nigeria to engage in discussions with Nigerian officials. His visit underscores the collaborative nature of this mission.

The primary focus of this initiative is to combat Islamist extremist organizations such as Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province. These groups have been responsible for numerous attacks in northern Nigeria and the surrounding Lake Chad area.
The effort is focused on combating Islamist extremist groups such as Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province, both of which have carried out attacks in northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad region.
The first batch of troops represents the initial group of what is expected to be a roughly 200-person deployment of others, including U.S. intelligence analysts, advisers and trainers.
The move follows recent visits by senior U.S. Africa Command officials to Abuja to reinforce military-to-military ties and expand counterterrorism cooperation.

Nigerian soldiers man a checkpoint in Gwoza, Nigeria. (AP Photo/Lekan Oyekanmi)
On Feb. 8, Nigerian President Bola Tinubu met with a high-level U.S. delegation led by U.S. Africa Command commander Gen. Dagvin Anderson at the State House in Abuja, according to Nigeria’s presidency.
The meeting included senior officials from Nigeria’s military, security and intelligence agencies and focused on expanding intelligence sharing and operational coordination.
Monday’s deployment came as tensions between Washington and Abuja have eased following earlier friction over religious violence and civilian protection.

Split of President Donald Trump and President of Nigeria Bola Tinubu (Ton Molina/Getty Images; Charly Triballeau/AFP via Getty Images)
President Donald Trump had previously accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians from what he described as a genocide, citing attacks by extremist groups and armed bandits.
Trump ordered airstrikes on Dec. 25 targeting Islamic State militants and said they were responsible for killing Christians.
Africom conducted strikes in Sokoto State in northwest Nigeria targeting what it described as Islamic State terrorists and said they were coordinated with Nigerian authorities.
“The United States launched a powerful and deadly strike against ISIS Terrorist Scum in Northwest Nigeria, who have been targeting and viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians, at levels not seen for many years, and even Centuries!” Trump said in a post on Truth Social at the time.