Over 2 dozen children among 33 bodies pulled from Kenyan mass grave: authorities

In a shocking discovery on Thursday, at least 33 bodies, including those of children and severed remains found in sacks, were exhumed from a mass grave in western Kenya. This grim find has sparked concerns about the possibility of these bodies being clandestinely transferred from a hospital morgue.

Authorities revealed that investigators uncovered the bodies of 25 children and eight adults, along with dismembered body parts wrapped in burlap sacks, from a burial site linked to a church in Kericho.

“Our investigation revealed that these bodies had been moved from Nyamira District Hospital to a privately owned cemetery in Kericho,” stated Mohamed Amin, head of the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, during a press briefing.

He further mentioned that detectives are working to verify whether the removal of the bodies from the morgue adhered to legal procedures.

kenya mass grave

On Thursday, 33 bodies, including those of 25 children, were discovered in a mass grave in Kenya. (Andrew Kasuku/AP Photo)

According to The Associated Press, Kenyan legislation permits hospitals and morgues to dispose of unclaimed bodies after a 14-day period, provided they have obtained court approval.

Government pathologists conducted autopsies Thursday to determine the cause of death, though the identities of the victims have not been released.

Authorities have arrested two people in connection with the case.

workers survey Kenya mass grave

Authorities have arrested two people in connection with the case. (Andrew Kasuku/AP Photo)

Local media reported the bodies were transported in a government vehicle by unidentified individuals and buried hastily, with some gravediggers later alerting police.

“We need authorities to conduct a thorough investigation,” resident Brian Kibunja said.

Another resident, Samuel Moso, said authorities should “reveal if the government was involved or if a different group of people was behind the mass burial.”

kenya mass grave is uncovered

There have been three major mass-grave incidents in Kenya over the past three years. (Andrew Kasuku/AP Photo)

There have been three major mass-grave incidents in Kenya over the past three years.

Police in 2023 uncovered hundreds of bodies buried in a forest in Kenya’s coastal Kilifi region, exhuming mass graves tied to a religious leader accused of starving his followers to death.

In 2024, authorities recovered nine bodies from a dumpsite in Nairobi, the Eastern African nation’s capital.

The latest discovery comes as concerns grow among some Kenyans over alleged abuses by police.

Missing Voices, a human rights group, said it documented 125 extrajudicial killings and six enforced disappearances in Kenya over the past year, compared to 104 reported killings the year before.

You May Also Like

UK Home Office guide tells asylum seekers not to rape, harass women or make kissing noises

UK Home Office Guide Tells Asylum Seekers Not to Harass Women

A guidance booklet issued by Britain’s Home Office tells asylum seekers that…
College Soccer Player Allegedly Killed; Boyfriend Blamed Demon - Internewscast Journal

College Soccer Player Allegedly Killed; Boyfriend Blamed Demon

Karoline Heintz, an 18-year-old incoming freshman and soccer player at Pennsylvania Western…
Nashville hospital medication error leaves at least 1 patient paralyzed after routine surgery, 3 others hurt

Nashville Hospital Medication Error Paralyzes Patient, Injures 3

HHS decertifies Kentucky organ donor network over near-harvesting incident The Department of…
Paramount hits back at actor Mark Ruffalo over unhinged, 'antisemitic' rant against Warner Bros merger

Paramount Fires Back at Mark Ruffalo Over ‘Antisemitic’ Warner Bros. Merger Attack

Paramount is pushing back against Mark Ruffalo after the actor criticized the…
Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines - Internewscast Journal

Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines

ELSENBORN, Belgium — As wildfires tear through parts of Europe this summer,…
Chicago Woman Hospitalized After Allegedly Bacteria-Tainted Wendy’s Cheeseburger, Lawsuit Says - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Woman Hospitalized After Allegedly Bacteria-Tainted Wendy’s Cheeseburger, Lawsuit Says

A Chicago woman says a Wendy’s double cheeseburger came with far more…
CDC Issues Safety Alert on Alfalfa Sprouts After 55 Illnesses Nationwide, Including 2 in New York - Internewscast Journal

CDC Issues Safety Alert on Alfalfa Sprouts After 55 Illnesses Nationwide, Including 2 in New York

It may be time to skip alfalfa sprouts for now. The CDC…
Trump administration sanctions sitting president of the International Criminal Court for 'abuses of power'

Trump Administration Sanctions International Criminal Court President, Citing Abuses of Power

Mamdani, Netanyahu and the ICC Paul Gigot joined Wall Street Journal commentators…
New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors - Internewscast Journal

New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors

A proposed Costco, fuel station and cluster of restaurants could transform a…
Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool - Internewscast Journal

Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool

A 40-year-old woman was killed Friday after her SUV veered out of…
Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives - Internewscast Journal

Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives

The Department of Homeland Security on Friday pushed back against claims from…
PennWest Soccer Player Karoline Heintz’s Parents Speak Out After Teen and His Mother Are Arrested - Internewscast Journal

PennWest Soccer Player Karoline Heintz’s Parents Speak Out After Teen and His Mother Are Arrested

The heartbroken parents of Karoline Heintz, a Pennsylvania college soccer standout found…