Ohio high school first in US to receive decommissioned Air Force Jet
Share this @internewscast.com

BELMONT COUNTY, OH (WTRF) – An Ohio high school will become the first in the United States to receive a decommissioned Air Force Thunderbird Jet.

The event also marks the first time the U.S. Air Force has ever provided an authentic aircraft to be permanently displayed outside a school.

The Union Local Afterburners, the local committee which petitioned to obtain the jet, said they worked to bring the aircraft to Union Local High School in Belmont as a reminder of “American military service, aviation history, and community spirit,” according to a press release issued by the school district.

It’s also a fitting symbol for the school’s mascot: Union Local High School is, quite literally, the “Home of the Jets.”

An F-16 aircraft from the U.S. Air Force takes off in Daytona Beach, Florida, on Feb. 18, 2016. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

The committee said it had been trying to get the jet since 2018, when they had initially submitted their request. The Air Force approved the request in 2021, “setting the stage for years of preparation and fundraising,” according to the release.

“The United States Air Force has never given a Thunderbird out to the public,” Dirk Davis, the president of the Union Local Afterburners, was quoted as saying in the release. “This has always gone to the military bases and the went to state museums. Union local was lucky enough. We applied and we got it. Like winning the lottery.”

The retired F-16 will now be transported to Sheppard Air Force Base in Texas, where its engine and seats will be removed in preparation for safe, long-term display at the school. Construction of an 18-foot pedestal to support the jet has already been completed.

The aircraft is expected to arrive and be installed on campus in the spring of 2026.

“This is more than just a plane, it’s a symbol of perseverance, patriotism, and pride for the students and the entire community,” Union Local Afterburners committee member Pete Busack said.

The entire project was funded solely through donations collected by the Afterburners organization, which included contributions from alumni, community members, and local businesses. No public or school funds were used.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Heartfelt Farewell: Motorcade Honors Fallen National Guard Member Tragically Shot in Washington D.C.

On Thursday evening, a solemn procession departed from Medstar Washington Medical Center,…

Brace for Impact: Thanksgiving Travelers Face Snow, Rain, and Chilly Weather Conditions

As Thanksgiving travelers began their journeys, snow and cold temperatures have already…

Northwestern Secures $75 Million Agreement to Reinstate Federal Funding

In a significant move, Northwestern University has finalized an agreement with the…

Escalating Tensions: Russian Strikes Claim Lives in Kyiv Amid Renewed Diplomatic Push for Peace in Ukraine

KYIV – In the early hours of Saturday, Kyiv faced a deadly…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Shocking Revelation: Attorney Alleges Travis Turner Departed with Firearm – Full Statement Inside

BIG STONE GAP, Va. (WJHL) — Travis Turner’s family attorney has issued…

Renowned British Playwright and Oscar Winner Tom Stoppard Passes Away at 88

LONDON – Celebrated British playwright Tom Stoppard, renowned for his witty and…

FC Alliance North Girls Triumph in State Championship Victory

A team from the FC Alliance North soccer club recently returned to…

Legionnaires’ Disease Alert: Ocoee Gym Under Investigation for Potential Outbreak

OCOEE, Fla. – A cloud of concern hovers over a local fitness…

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…

Survivors of Hong Kong Apartment Fire Reflect on Their Next Steps

HONG KONG – It was a typical afternoon when William Li received…

Greene County Standoff Leads to Man Facing Multiple Attempted Murder Charges, Says Sheriff

A man has been arrested and charged with several counts of attempted…