Chicago shooting: Mother speaks out after baby, Cecelia Thomas, shot in head, killed in South Shore drive-by
Share this @internewscast.com

CHICAGO (WLS) — The mother of Cecelia Thomas, a 5-month-old girl who was killed in a drive-by shooting, spoke publicly for the first time about the incident that claimed her young daughter’s life.

She was determined to speak for her child and did so outside the hospital where she said her final goodbye.

“Cecilia was gorgeous,” said the baby’s mother, Juanita Harris.

Harris is a mother in pain.

“She didn’t even have her first birthday, like she didn’t make age 6 months,” she said.

Refusing to let her grief break her, angrily pleaded for those responsible to come forward, with her 3-year-old son and street pastor and community activist, Donovan Price, at her side.

“Cecelia was a part of us. She was our child,” Donovan said.

It’s been just over a week since the child was killed when police say someone inside another vehicle shot at their car as the family traveled in the 7700 block of South Shore Drive.

Harris, Cecelia’s father, and Harris’ 3-year-old son Kemone were all in the vehicle, taking the boy to his aunt’s house when the June 24 attack happened.

The baby was struck in the head and died a few hours later.

“When you’ll out here shooting, know who you are shooting at. Know your target. You got the wrong people,” Harris said.

Amid her sorrow, there is anger as her daughter becomes Chicago’s youngest victim of gun violence so far this year.

She wants the shooter to do the right thing.

“It’s eating you up inside. You see me. The same pain I’m feeling, you need to turn yourself in,” Harris said.

Meanwhile, as a mother, Harris struggles with not only how to pay for her baby’s funeral but also how to exist in a future without her little girl.

“We need answers,” Harris reiterated.

Police are still looking for whoever is responsible for what the family calls a case of mistaken identity. So far, no one is in custody and no arrests have been made.

Community activist Ja’Mal Green, who is running for Chicago mayor, has offered a $5,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this case.

Anyone with information regarding the shooting is encouraged to call 1-800-883-5587.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Two men found dead on Coney Island boardwalk bench

Two men found dead on Coney Island boardwalk bench

Two men who apparently OD’d were found dead on a bench on…
Fans recount dangerous firework show in Huntsville

Fans recount dangerous firework show in Huntsville

MADISON, Ala. (WHNT) – Fans said that a Trash Pandas game took…
One dead, 5 seriously injured in New Jersey double-decker bus crash

One dead, 5 seriously injured in New Jersey double-decker bus crash

One person was killed and nearly two dozen other people were injured…
Nebraska woman charged with helping daughter have abortion

Nebraska woman charged with helping daughter have abortion

OMAHA (AP) — A Nebraska woman has been charged with helping her…
Eric Trump, 38, leaves Trump Tower in Manhattan on Tuesday, August 9, 2022. He claims he was the person who received the call informing of the FBI raid on the Palm Beach property

Eric Trump reveals what REALLY happened in the FBI raid

Eric Trump revealed FBI agents refused to hand over the search warrant…
Woman banned from YMCA for treatment of trans employee

Woman banned from YMCA for treatment of trans employee

An 80-year-old Washington state woman was permanently banned from her local YMCA pool after…
NYPD Officers Fleeing in Droves – RedState

NYPD Officers Fleeing in Droves – RedState

NYPD officers are retiring or quitting in record numbers, with many even…
Federal Reserve Hikes Interest Rates by 75 Basis Points – RedState

Democrats Hose Biden’s Economy with Gasoline. What Could Possibly Go Wrong? – RedState

Almost every economist who isn’t a democrat shill has told Schumer and…