Share this @internewscast.com
Congo’s president has reduced the death sentences of three Americans, who were convicted last year for involvement in an attempted coup, to life imprisonment, officials announced on Wednesday.
Those affected by this decision are Marcel Malanga, 21, Tyler Thompson Jr., 21, and Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, 36. Their sentences were changed following an order from Felix Tshisekedi, according to a presidential spokesperson quoted by the Associated Press.
This pardon is part of the Congolese government’s efforts to negotiate a minerals agreement with the U.S., which includes acquiring security support to help combat rebels in the troubled eastern part of the country.
The State Department did not immediately respond Wednesday to a request for comment from Fox News Digital. State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce wrote on X yesterday that Senior Advisor for Africa Massad Boulos is “is getting right to work promoting U.S. interests, starting with a trip to the region this week with stops in [the] Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Kenya, and Uganda.”

President of the Democratic Republic of Congo Felix Tshisekedi has offered President Trump a minerals deal in exchange for removing violent rebels from his country. (Getty Images)
Thompson Jr. flew to Africa from Utah with the younger Malanga for what his family believed was a free vacation, and Zalman-Polun is reported to have known Christian Malanga through a gold mining company.
“We have seen that a military court in the Democratic Republic of Congo sentenced a number of defendants, including U.S. citizens, to death for alleged involvement in the May 19th attacks against the government,” former State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said at the time of the Americans’ sentencing.

Marcel Malanga told a court during the case that his father had forced him and his high school friend to take part in the attack. (Reuters/Justin Makangara)
“We understand that the legal process in the DRC allows for defendants to appeal the court’s decision. Embassy staff have been attending these proceedings … We’ll continue to attend the proceedings and follow the developments closely,” he added.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.