Putin residence attack video slammed; US officials say Ukraine did not target leader

In a bid to substantiate its claims, Russia’s Defense Ministry unveiled night-vision footage on Wednesday, purportedly capturing the remnants of a Ukrainian drone. This drone was reportedly intercepted during an attempted strike on a dwelling associated with President Vladimir Putin.

The clip, set in a snowy, wooded locale within Russia, depicts a Russian soldier inspecting fragments said to be from a Ukrainian Chaklun-V drone, according to Moscow’s assertions.

Officials in Russia further stated that the drone was successfully neutralized before it could reach Putin’s residence located near Lake Valdai in the Novgorod region. The drone was allegedly equipped with a six-kilogram explosive that did not detonate.

This video release comes amidst growing doubts about Moscow’s narrative concerning the incident.

Vladimir Putin's residential complex in Roshchino, Novgorod Region, Russia

Recent satellite images reveal the area surrounding Vladimir Putin’s residential complex in Roshchino, Novgorod Region, Russia, as of August 31, 2023. (Photo courtesy of Planet Labs PBC/Handout via Reuters)

Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal highlighted on Wednesday that U.S. national security officials have determined Ukraine was not involved in targeting Putin or any associated residences in this alleged drone activity.

The Journal said the finding was supported by a CIA assessment that determined no attempted attack on Putin occurred, citing a U.S. official briefed on the intelligence.

Instead, Ukraine, they said, was believed to be targeting a military site it had previously struck in the same region but not near Putin’s residence, the official said.

Ukrainian officials have continued to reject the allegations, with a military drone expert claiming the video provided little evidence of an attempted strike on one of Russia’s most heavily secured locations.

drone and russian serviceman

Russia releases drone footage of the alleged Ukraine attack on Putin’s residence. (Russian Defence Ministry/Handout via Reuters )

“This footage, unfortunately, does not offer proof of anything other than that there is a wrecked drone on the ground somewhere being stood over by a Russian serviceman,” Draganfly CEO Cameron Chell told Fox News Digital.

Chell, whose firm supplies drones to the U.S. Department of Defense and its allies, said the drone shown in the video looked ill-suited for such a mission.

“The attacks that occurred on Dec. 29 were also hundreds of kilometers away,” he added.

“The engines on the drone in this new footage are very small, and though capable of multiple hours of flight with the type of fixed-wing drone displayed, it would be extremely slow and unsophisticated.

“This drone is not untypical of many Ukraine drones, but these would only be used for infrastructure targets and woefully ineffective in an attack on a facility the likes of Putin’s residence,” Chell concluded.

drone

The Russian Defense ministry shows a downed drone after an alleged drone attack on Putin’s residence. (Russian Defense Ministry/Handout via Reuters )

Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Heorhii Tykhyi also dismissed the footage as “laughable,” saying Kyiv was “absolutely confident that no such attack took place,” according to Reuters.

Russia alleges the drone was part of a broader Ukrainian operation targeting Putin’s residence earlier this week.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov asserted 91 drones had been intercepted en route to Putin’s residence, a figure that appeared to conflict with earlier Defense Ministry statements.

The ministry initially reported that 89 drones were shot down across eight regions, including 18 over Novgorod, before revising the numbers upward. 

Ukraine drones battlefield

A Ukrainian air intelligence soldier carries a drone in the direction of Bakhmut, Ukraine, May 10, 2024. (Diego Herrera Carcedo/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Only after Lavrov’s remarks did the Defense Ministry claim that 49 drones intercepted over Bryansk — nearly 300 miles from Valdai — were also targeting the presidential residence.

The ministry initially reported that 89 drones were shot down across eight regions, including 18 over Novgorod, before revising the numbers upward. 

The timing of the allegations has also drawn scrutiny, coming shortly after what Moscow described publicly as a positive meeting between President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Florida.

Zelenskyy also called the alleged drone attack a “complete fabrication,” saying it was designed to justify further Russian strikes and undermine diplomatic efforts.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov rejected Ukraine’s denials and said Moscow would toughen its diplomatic stance.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House for comment.

You May Also Like

Humanoid Robots May Soon Patrol U.S.-Mexico Border, CEO Says as AI Security Tech Advances - Internewscast Journal

Humanoid Robots May Soon Patrol U.S.-Mexico Border, CEO Says as AI Security Tech Advances

Humanoid robots designed to move independently across rough terrain and identify people…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Biden-Pardoned Drug Trafficker Arrested in Fentanyl Case - Internewscast Journal

Biden-Pardoned Drug Trafficker Arrested in Fentanyl Case

An Atlanta man whose federal fentanyl sentence was commuted by former President…
Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration - Internewscast Journal

Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration

President Donald Trump is pointing to vandals as the cause of large…
Trump Confirms IRGC Backchannel, Demands Iran Surrender - Internewscast Journal

Trump Confirms IRGC Backchannel, Demands Iran Surrender

Trump urges Iran to wave ‘white flag’ as ceasefire expires Ceasefire talks…
Teen Charged After Russian Roulette Foreplay Kills Friends-With-Benefits Partner, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Teen Charged After Russian Roulette Foreplay Kills Friends-With-Benefits Partner, Police Say

A 19-year-old Virginia woman is facing an involuntary manslaughter charge after a…
Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police

A messy neighborhood dispute in Florida appears to have gone far beyond…
NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet - Internewscast Journal

NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet

A 33-year-old woman who police say was not involved in a Brooklyn…
Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Storm Recovery: South Suburbs Seek Aid, Outages Continue

CHICAGO () — At least seven people have died in storm-related incidents…
De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake - Internewscast Journal

De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake

BOGOTÁ, Colombia — Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella has appealed to…
Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed

A Harvard professor is facing scrutiny after critics alleged that a Financial…
NYPD officers fatally shoot man armed with butcher knife after he advanced toward cops: police

NYPD Fatally Shoots Man With Butcher Knife Advancing on Cops

NYPD officers shot and killed a 54-year-old man Sunday afternoon after authorities…