In a significant legal development, a grand jury indictment was revealed on Friday, charging a former Los Angeles police officer with second-degree murder in connection with the 2015 shooting of an unarmed homeless man in Venice. This announcement was made by the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, marking a pivotal moment in a case that has been under scrutiny for years.

Clifford Proctor, the officer in question, entered a plea of not guilty, as reported by the Los Angeles Times. The incident involved the tragic death of 29-year-old Brendan Glenn, who was fatally shot during a confrontation with officers outside a bar. Glenn had been involved in an altercation with a bouncer earlier that night. His death has since become a symbol in the ongoing discourse about police shootings in the city. Notably, both Glenn and Proctor are Black.

This indictment follows a reexamination of the case by former District Attorney George Gascón, who scrutinized four cases involving police use of force, including Proctor’s. The current District Attorney, Nathan Hochman, who succeeded Gascón after winning the election in November, stated that he would evaluate the case further to determine the next steps in the prosecution process.

Proctor’s attorney, Anthony “Tony” Garcia, expressed skepticism regarding the timing of the charges, pointing out that a decision was made back in 2018 not to prosecute his client. This observation raises questions about what has changed in the years since that decision was initially made.

Hochman, who ousted Gascón in November’s election, will review the case and decide whether to proceed with the prosecution, the statement said.

Proctor’s lawyer, Anthony “Tony” Garcia, questioned the timing of the charges and noted that prosecutors declined to charge his client in 2018, according to the Times.

In 2018, LA District Attorney Jackie Lacey declined to press charges, saying there was insufficient evidence to prove Proctor acted unlawfully when he used deadly force.

Glenn was on his stomach and trying to push himself up when Proctor shot him in the back, according to police. He wasn’t trying to take a gun from Proctor or his partner when he was shot, and Proctor’s partner told investigators that he didn’t know why the officer opened fire, police have said.

Proctor resigned from the Los Angeles Police Department in 2017. The city paid $4 million to settle a wrongful-death lawsuit that was brought by Glenn’s relatives.

Proctor, 60, remains in jail. His next court date is Nov. 3.

You May Also Like

Brawl Erupts at Wisconsin State Fair During Festival Finale - Internewscast Journal

Brawl Erupts at Wisconsin State Fair During Festival Finale

Chaos erupts at the Wisconsin State Fair. What is typically a family-friendly…
Wild Turkeys Blamed for Coastal California Power Outages - Internewscast Journal

Wild Turkeys Blamed for Coastal California Power Outages

A scenic stretch of California’s Central Coast has been hit by an…
Third Maryland Beaver Attack Raises Rabies Concerns After Two Animals Test Positive - Internewscast Journal

Third Maryland Beaver Attack Raises Rabies Concerns After Two Animals Test Positive

Maryland wildlife authorities are trying to locate a beaver after a 10-year-old…
Massive brawl erupts at Wisconsin State Fair as seven arrested during chaotic closing hours

Wisconsin State Fair Brawl Leaves 7 Arrested After Chaos Erupts During Closing Hours

Large fights broke out at the Wisconsin State Fair as the event…
Former NIAID Adviser David Morens Pleads Guilty in COVID-19 Records Scheme - Internewscast Journal

Former NIAID Adviser David Morens Pleads Guilty in COVID-19 Records Scheme

Washington — A former top adviser at the National Institute of Allergy…
Hayden Panettiere's ex-boyfriend Brian Hickerson was at the scene when she died: Police

Hayden Panettiere’s Ex at Scene of Brother Jansen’s Death: Police

A police report obtained by ABC News has drawn attention to Brian…
Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move - Internewscast Journal

Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is moving to block illegal immigrants from…
Two planes blow tires while landing at major US airport hours apart, FAA investigating

FAA Investigates After Two Planes Blow Tires During Landings Hours Apart at Major US Airport

Federal Aviation Administration officials are looking into two separate tire incidents involving…
Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report - Internewscast Journal

Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report

Authorities in Massachusetts are searching for a woman described as “armed and…
69 live animals found stuffed in pillowcases in hidden car compartment after border arrest: Feds

Border Agents Find 69 Live Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases in Secret Car Compartment, Feds Say

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a resident of Tijuana…
Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group - Internewscast Journal

Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group

Abdul El-Sayed, a progressive candidate in Michigan’s U.S. Senate race, is facing…
Trump-Backed Harriet Hageman Wins Wyoming GOP Senate Primary - Internewscast Journal

Trump-Backed Harriet Hageman Wins Wyoming GOP Senate Primary

Rep. Harriet Hageman (R-WY) moved significantly closer to claiming Wyoming’s next U.S.…