Share this @internewscast.com
Kilmar Ábrego García, who was wrongly deported to El Salvador in March before being returned to the United States, now faces another immediate deportation — this time to Uganda — in a case that has become a test case in the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown.
He was arrested in Baltimore overnight by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), homeland security secretary Kristi Noem said on X.

Ábrego García, who was released last week from a jail in Tennessee, where he is facing human smuggling charges, and allowed to go home to Maryland pending trial, “will be processed for removal to Uganda,” the homeland security department said.

Lawyers for Ábrego García immediately filed a lawsuit contesting his deportation, and district judge Paula Xinis temporarily blocked his removal from the country while she holds further hearings on his case.

The attempt to deport Ábrego García to Uganda adds a new twist to a saga that became a flashpoint for Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration — and, critics say, his trampling of the law.

Who is Kilmar Ábrego García?

Ábrego García had been living in the US under protected legal status since 2019, when a judge ruled he should not be deported because he could be harmed in his home country.
Then he became one of more than 200 people sent to El Salvador’s CECOT mega-prison in March as part of Trump’s crackdown on undocumented migrants.

But justice department lawyers admitted the Salvadoran had been wrongly deported due to an “administrative error”. He was returned to US soil only to be detained again in Tennessee on human smuggling charges.

Why has Ábrego García’s case become so significant?

Ábrego García denies any wrongdoing, while the Trump administration alleges he is a violent MS-13 gang member involved in smuggling of other undocumented migrants.

Right-wing supporters praise the Republican president’s toughness, but legal scholars and human rights advocates have criticised what they say is a haphazard rush to deport people without even a court hearing, in violation of basic US law.

What are the latest developments ?

On Thursday, when it became clear that Ábrego García would be released the following day, government officials made him a plea offer: remain in custody, plead guilty to human smuggling and be deported to Costa Rica.

He declined the offer.

Protesters holding banners outside a building.

Protesters gathered outside the ICE field office to show their support for Kilmar Ábrego García and voice their opposition to his deportation. Source: SIPA USA / Robyn Stevens Brody

Ábrego García was required to check in with ICE in Baltimore on Monday as one of the conditions of his release.

Simon Sandoval-Moshenberg, one of his lawyers, told a crowd of supporters outside the ICE field office that his client was immediately taken into custody when he turned up for the appointment.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…
The robots at the Chinese New Year Gala performed alongside several child performers in a routine lasting almost five minutes.

Robots Execute Backflips and Advanced Martial Arts in Dazzling Display

Robots performing backflips and wielding nunchucks have wowed audiences during China’s annual…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…