Share this @internewscast.com

Details have emerged about the harrowing moments after a tragic avalanche near Lake Tahoe, as survivors desperately attempted to rescue their companions trapped under deep snow.
Despite their efforts, the group managed to extract three individuals from the massive snowpack, but, tragically, none survived, according to Nevada County Undersheriff Sam Brown, who shared the update on Thursday.
The state of California is in mourning following the avalanche on Tuesday, which claimed the lives of eight people, with one person still unaccounted for and feared dead.
Authorities have identified six of the victims, naming them as Carrie Atkin, Kate Morse, Danielle Keatley, Caroline Sekar, Kate Vitt, and Liz Claubaugh.
In the aftermath of the disaster, rescuers successfully saved six individuals from the mountainside, comprising five women and one man, who ranged in age from 30 to 55.
Undersheriff Brown provided chilling insights into the catastrophe, describing how the group appeared to enter a state of “frantic mode” as they faced the dire situation.
He told CBS News: “They went into, I think, frantic mode of trying to find their friends and partners. And they were ultimately able to unbury three individuals who did not survive.”
He continued: “Uncovering people who are deceased, that they know and probably cared about, is just horrible.”
Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters
California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!
Brown said Castle Peak had been hit with eight feet of snow and 90mph winds which had taken the backcountry skiers and their guides by surprise.
He also outlined how the rescue operation was progressing, saying a skeleton team is staying up on the mountain and trying to make a path for additional rescuers.
He added: “We sent two teams in from two directions. We needed a rescue team for those teams, in the event that an avalanche was triggered.”
The families of six of the women killed in the avalanche broke their silence on Thursday night, revealing their devastation at the news.
A statement read: “We are devastated beyond words. Our focus right now is supporting our children through this incredible tragedy and honoring the lives of these extraordinary women.
“They were all mothers, wives and friends, all of whom connected through the love of the outdoors. They were passionate, skilled skiers who cherished time together in the mountains. They lived in the Bay Area, Idaho, and the Truckee–Tahoe region.”
While the families said they still have many unanswered questions surrounding the shocking deaths, they laid out some more details on what happened leading up to the fateful trip.
Here are the latest stories on the California Avalanche:
They said: “Eight close friends planned a professionally guided, two-night backcountry hut trip to Frog Lake Huts outside Truckee, California.
“The trip had been organized well in advance. They were experienced backcountry skiers who deeply respected the mountains.
“They were trained and prepared for backcountry travel and trusted their professional guides on this trip. They were fully equipped with avalanche safety equipment.
“We are heartbroken and are doing our best to care for one another and our families in the way we know these women would have wanted.”
Heartbreaking tributes online from friends also referred to the women as a group of “supermoms.”
Rescuers said conditions on the mountain on Thursday prevented them from recovering the bodies of those who were killed.