Police: Bondi Beach shooting suspects had bombs, ISIS flags and recently traveled to Philippines
Share this @internewscast.com

On Tuesday, Australian officials revealed that the father-and-son duo behind the Hanukkah event shooting at Sydney’s Bondi Beach had their vehicle loaded with improvised explosive devices and homemade ISIS flags. This discovery has intensified concerns that the assault may have been part of a more extensive attack than initially suspected.

During a press briefing, investigators described the attackers, aged 24 and 50, as “cowards” who targeted Jewish Australians in broad daylight. The attack resulted in the tragic deaths of 15 individuals and left over two dozen injured. Authorities have now officially labeled the incident as a terrorist attack inspired by ISIS.

The New South Wales Police disclosed that the younger suspect’s vehicle contained IEDs and two homemade ISIS flags. This critical evidence indicates extremist motivation and suggests a potential plan for a more significant, orchestrated attack. Forensic teams are actively conducting ballistic and chemical analyses of the materials found.

Australia’s federal police commissioner, Krissy Barrett, condemned the attack, stating, “This was a barbaric attack against Jewish Australians. They were hunted down in broad daylight.”

NSW Premier Chris Minns

In the wake of the tragedy, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon, and NSW Premier Chris Minns gathered for a press conference at the NSW Police headquarters. They addressed the public following the grievous shooting during the Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach.

Authorities are still investigating whether the explosive devices were operational or intended for additional targets. The investigation continues as officials work tirelessly to piece together the full scope of the plot.

Press conference at NSW Police headquarters

Australian Federal Police (AFP) Commissioner Krissy Barrett, NSW Premier Chris Minns, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon, Minister for Police and Counter-Terrorism Yasmin Catley, attend a press conference during a visit to NSW Police headquarters, following a deadly shooting incident during a Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 16, 2025.  (REUTERS/Hollie Adams)

Mal Lanyon, the Police Commissioner for New South Wales state, said the suspects traveled to the Philippines last month. Their reasons for the trip and where in the Philippines they went would be probed by investigators, Lanyon said.

The region has long been home to ISIS-linked networks. Groups of Muslim separatist militants, including Abu Sayyaf in the southern Philippines, once expressed support for ISIS and have hosted small numbers of foreign militant combatants from Asia, the Middle East and Europe in the past.

Decades of military offensives, however, have considerably weakened Abu Sayyaf and other such armed groups, and Philippine military and police officials say there has been no recent indication of any foreign militants in the country’s south.

Memorial for victims in the Bondi beach shooting in Australia

A woman kneels and prays at a flower memorial to shooting victims outside the Bondi Pavilion at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, Monday, Dec. 15, 2025, a day after a shooting. (Mark Baker/AP Photo)

Officials said there is currently no evidence that additional attackers or facilitators were involved in Sunday’s massacre but officials cautioned that this assessment could change as investigators review digital devices, travel records and thousands of seized documents.

Tuesday marked the first time that officials confirmed their beliefs about the suspects’ ideologies.

There are more than two dozen people, ranging in ages from 10 to 87, still being treated in hospitals after Sunday’s massacre. Ten of them, including three who are patients in a children’s hospital, are in critical condition.

Among the injured is Ahmed al Ahmed, a 42-year-old Syrian-born fruit shop owner who was captured on video tackling and disarming one assailant, before pointing the man’s weapon at him and then setting it on the ground. He had surgery scheduled on Wednesday for shotgun wounds to his left shoulder and upper body.

Bondi Beach shooting

People gather around a tribute for shooting victims outside the Bondi Pavilion at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, Monday, Dec. 15, 2025, a day after the shooting.  (Mark Baker/AP Photo)

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who met earlier with Ahmed, hailed him as “a true Australian hero.”

“We are a brave country. Ahmed al Ahmed represents the best of our country. We will not allow this country to be divided. That is what the terrorists seek. We will unite. We will embrace each other, and we’ll get through this,” Albanese added.

Australian PM Albanese h

NSW Premier Chris Minns and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese attend a press conference at NSW Police headquarters, following a deadly shooting incident during a Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 16, 2025. (REUTERS/Hollie Adams)

The older gunman was shot dead while his son was also being treated at a hospital on Tuesday.

Albanese and the leaders of some of Australia’s states have pledged to tighten the country’s already strict gun already strict gun laws in what would be the most sweeping reforms since a shooter killed 35 people in Port Arthur, Tasmania in 1996. Mass shootings in Australia have since been rare.

Officials divulged more information as public questions and anger grew on the third day following the attack about how the suspects were able to plan and enact it and whether Australian Jews had been sufficiently protected from rising antisemitism.

Albanese announced plans to further restrict access to guns, in part because it emerged the older suspect had amassed his cache of six weapons legally.

“The suspected murderers, callous in how they allegedly coordinated their attack, appeared to have no regard for the age or ableness of their victims,” Barrett said. “It appears the alleged killers were interested only in a quest for a death tally.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
White House unveils cheeky Valentine’s Day cards featuring Maduro, Rubio and the shutdown sombrero

White House Unveils Playful Valentine’s Day Cards Featuring Political Cartoons: A Satirical Spin on Maduro, Rubio & Shutdown Drama

In a playful twist, the White House unveiled a collection of humorous…
LA cops blast California's soft DUI laws

California’s DUI Laws Under Fire from LA Officers

California has witnessed a troubling surge in drunk driving incidents, with six…
Oregon commissioner violated policy after 'stripper' comment

Oregon Official Faces Scrutiny for Inappropriate Comment

An Oregon official is under scrutiny after an investigation revealed he retaliated…
What happened to Alex Vesia's baby? Dodgers reliever speaks publicly for 1st time since daughter's death

Heartbreaking Loss: Dodgers’ Alex Vesia Opens Up About Tragic Loss of Infant Daughter

In an emotional address on Friday, Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Alex Vesia…
Shipwreck hunter finds luxury steamer that sank in Lake Michigan in 1872

Historic Luxury Steamer Discovered in Lake Michigan After 1872 Sinking

In a groundbreaking discovery, researchers announced on Friday that they have located…
Syrians warm up to US and Israel under new regime, poll finds

Syrian Public Opinion Shifts: New Regime Sees Increased Favorability Towards US and Israel, Poll Reveals

A recent survey indicates a warming attitude in Syria towards the United…
Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

Texas AG Ken Paxton Files Lawsuit Against Dallas for Alleged Noncompliance with Proposition U Police Funding Mandate

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has initiated legal action against Dallas officials,…
Immigrant Manhattan delivery man dies 3 months after beaten unconscious by muggers

Tragic End: Manhattan Delivery Worker Passes Away Months After Violent Mugging

A devastating attack on an immigrant delivery worker in Manhattan has resulted…
Doctors Without Borders reduces operations at Gaza hospital over security concerns

Doctors Without Borders Scales Back Gaza Hospital Services Amid Rising Security Threats

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), also known as Doctors Without Borders, has made…
Casey Wasserman selling his talent agency amid Jeffrey Epstein fallout

Casey Wasserman to Divest Talent Agency in Wake of Jeffrey Epstein Controversy

Entertainment mogul Casey Wasserman, who also serves as the chair for the…
Billboard targeting James Charles reignites sexual misconduct accusations

Explosive Billboard Sparks Renewed Allegations Against Influencer James Charles

In Los Angeles, a new billboard has emerged, bringing back to public…
Iran arrests 50K protesters in dragnet — as families fear they may never be seen again

Iran Detains 50,000 Protesters: Families Anxious Over Their Loved Ones’ Fate

In a troubling development, Iranian security forces have detained over 50,000 individuals…