Houston man accused of shooting 11-year-old playing ding dong ditch due in court
Share this @internewscast.com

Prosecutors highlight that fresh evidence, such as a cell phone video, will be pivotal in the case concerning the murder of 11-year-old Julian Guzman. The accused appeared in court on Wednesday morning.

HOUSTON — An Army veteran accused of murdering 11-year-old Julian Guzman, who was engaged in a game of “ding dong ditch” with his cousin, was present in court Wednesday morning for a bond hearing.

The judge determined a $1 million bond for 42-year-old Gonzalo Leon Jr., who faces murder charges. Prosecutors advocated for this high bond, citing that the case involves “someone deliberately killing an 11-year-old for knocking on their door.”

New evidence revealed

Prosecutors reveal that they have acquired vital new evidence, including eyewitness accounts and a video captured on Julian’s cell phone. The footage recorded the prank, capturing the sequence from the door knock to the moments when Julian fell after being shot.

“I have, regrettably, watched numerous recordings and surveillance footage of people in their final moments,” stated Harris County District Attorney Sean Teare. “Hearing an 11-year-old’s final moments—I can’t imagine anything more horrific.”

Julian’s cousin, who accompanied him that evening, identified what the suspect was wearing and his position in the backyard. The young relative expressed to family, “I didn’t know what to do, but I wish I could have done more.”

Assistant District Attorney John Brewer confirmed prosecutors shared all available information with the judge, even details that remain uncertain. He said out of “an abundance of caution,” both sides were upfront about the limits of some evidence.

Brewer added that investigators know the boys were using social media before the prank, though he declined to comment further.


Possibility of upgraded charges

Brewer said the investigation is ongoing and that additional information could lead to upgraded charges.

“There’s always an opportunity to upgrade a case if the evidence warrants it,” he said, adding that the most practical time to do so is before the case goes to a grand jury.

There was also discussion in court about a possible Guadalupe County charge in Leon’s past. Brewer noted the information is disputed but was provided to the judge.

The next court date is set for October 21.

The suspect

Leon was arrested on Tuesday morning by Houston police and charged with murder. Investigators say he initially refused to answer questions the night of the shooting and has not spoken since his arrest.

Court documents allege Leon fired a warning shot into the ground before shooting Julian as he ran away down the sidewalk.


What happened

The shooting unfolded just before 11 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 30, on Racine Street near Mimbrough and Fidelity streets in east Houston. Police say a group of children had been knocking on doors when Leon opened fire.

“A witness says someone ran out of that house and was shooting at the kids running down the street, and unfortunately, sadly enough, one of the boys, who was 11 years old, was shot in the back,” HPD Homicide Detective Sgt. Michael Cass said.

Julian was rushed to the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds and pronounced dead the following day.

In a new interview with CBS News, police said Julian and his cousin rang the doorbell two times before, but it was the third attempt that led to the shooting.

Community and legal fallout

The case has drawn national attention and sparked debate over self-defense laws in Texas. Prosecutors argue the shooting was unprovoked.

“There is no way that little boy was posing a threat… and he was running away on a public street. This is not stand your ground, this is not manslaughter. This is murder,” Teare said Tuesday evening.

During an interview on Wednesday following the hearing, Teare also framed the tragedy as one that has torn apart two families: “One lost a little boy before he even got to start his life, and another has a father and husband facing life in prison because of one angry act.”

Teare used the case to highlight the importance of responsible gun ownership, saying it means keeping firearms away from children, only using them when legally justified, and properly securing them to prevent theft.

“That responsibility does not include drawing down and shooting an 11-year-old in the back while he’s running away,” he said.

Neighbors remain stunned.

“What harm could they have done? Playing with a doorbell? That’s the part that really kind of hurts the heart,” one resident told KHOU 11 on Monday.

Another neighbor added, “Kids are just being kids. I feel like we’ve all played these ding-dong ditch (games).”

What’s next

Leon is due back in court on October 21. Prosecutors say they will continue reviewing evidence, including Julian’s cell phone video, before the case heads to a grand jury.

Meanwhile, a memorial for Julian continues to grow outside the home where the shooting happened. His mother left a simple message: “I love you Julian you will always be in my heart. Rest in peace baby. Mom.”

A GoFundMe account has been created to help the Guzman family.

Got a news tip? Text KHOU 11 at 713-526-1111.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Police: Pro-Palestinian Protesters Storm NYC Retail Store on Black Friday

Pro-Palestinian Demonstrators Rally Inside NYC Store Amid Black Friday Chaos

In a dramatic turn of events on Black Friday, at least four…
Maduro brandishes sword at rally as he rails against 'imperialist aggression' amid rising tensions with US

Maduro’s Fiery Rally: Sword-Wielding Protest Against U.S. ‘Imperialist Aggression

Earlier this week in Caracas, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro delivered a bold…
Ukrainian official Yermak resigns as corruption probe encircles Zelenskyy

Ukrainian Official Steps Down Amid Intensifying Corruption Investigation Involving Zelenskyy Administration

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has confirmed that Andriy Yermak, the head of…
American tourist found stabbed to death in Tobago

American Tourist Tragically Discovered Fatally Stabbed in Tobago

Local authorities have reported the death of an American man found with…
Indiana Republican's Problematic Remark About Trump, How He's Voting on State Redistricting

Indiana Republican’s Controversial Comment on Trump and Its Impact on State Redistricting Vote

Indiana’s legislature is currently debating a redistricting proposal that could potentially bolster…
Sheriff slams law enforcement agencies for releasing illegal immigrant who allegedly hit Ohio nurse

Sheriff Criticizes Law Enforcement Agencies Over Release of Undocumented Immigrant Accused in Ohio Nurse Incident

In a recent incident that has sparked outrage, an Ohio sheriff criticized…
DC Guard Shooter Linked to CIA-Backed Afghan ‘Zero Units’

CIA Connection Revealed: DC Guard Shooter’s Ties to Afghan ‘Zero Units’ Exposed

A suspected Afghan terrorist who killed National Guard troops Sarah Beckstrom and…
Driver carjacked in West Village by machete-wielding muggers

Driver Victimized by Machete-Wielding Assailants in West Village Carjacking

A man, aged 27, experienced a terrifying carjacking in downtown Manhattan when…
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted

Utah Death Row Inmate with Dementia Passes Away of Natural Causes Months After Execution Delay

A Utah man, who had been on death row for nearly four…
US passenger goes missing while on shore during Caribbean cruise

Unraveling the Mystery: Latest Developments in US Cruise Passenger’s Disappearance in the Caribbean

The perplexing case of a missing American tourist on a Caribbean island…
A Thanksgiving to remember: IHOP waitress gets $2,000 tip after man raises money on social media

Heartwarming Thanksgiving Surprise: IHOP Waitress Receives $2,000 Tip Thanks to Viral Social Media Campaign

“I was completely stunned,” shared server Ashley Cruz. “This feels like a…
Game Over? Trump Cracks Down on All Immigration From Third-World Countries - ‘You Won’t Be Here for Long’

Trump Implements Stricter Immigration Measures Targeting Developing Nations – ‘You Won’t Be Here for Long’

In a passionate late-night address, President Trump responded to the recent terrorist…