Israel-Hamas war: Israel's latest strikes in Gaza kill at least 38 people including children; ceasefire ended in March
Share this @internewscast.com

DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip — According to local health authorities, Israeli airstrikes in the last day have claimed the lives of at least 38 individuals in Gaza, including several children. Hospitals in the northern part of Gaza remain inaccessible, preventing data updates for the second day in a row.

Further details emerged of the Palestinian doctor who lost nine of her 10 children in an Israeli strike on Friday.

According to Gaza’s Health Ministry, 3,785 people have died since Israel resumed offensive actions in March, aiming to eliminate Hamas and rescue the 58 hostages taken during the attack on October 7, 2023, which sparked the conflict. Hamas has expressed that they would only release the captives in exchange for a permanent ceasefire and the withdrawal of Israeli forces.

For two and a half months, Israel completely halted the supply of food, medicine, and fuel to Gaza. Last week, however, a minimal amount of aid began to be allowed through due to warnings of potential famine and pressure from some of Israel’s key international partners.

Smoke rises to the sky following an explosion in the northern of Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel, Friday, May 23, 2025.

Smoke rises to the sky following an explosion in the northern of Gaza Strip as seen from southern Israel, Friday, May 23, 2025.

(AP Photo/Leo Correa)

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem was visiting Israel on Sunday and was meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Israel is pursuing a new U.S.-backed plan to control all aid to Gaza, which the United Nations has rejected. U.N. World Food Program executive director Cindy McCain told CBS she has not seen evidence to support Israel’s claims that Hamas is responsible for the looting of aid trucks. “These people are desperate, and they see a World Food Program truck coming in and they run for it,” she said.

COGAT, the Israeli defense body overseeing aid for Gaza, said 107 trucks of aid entered Sunday. The U.N. has called the rate far from enough. About 600 trucks a day entered during the ceasefire.

Israel also says it plans to seize full control of Gaza and facilitate what it describes as the voluntary migration of its over 2 million population, a plan rejected by Palestinians and much of the international community.

More on the killing of a doctor’s 9 children

In Friday’s strike, only one of pediatrician Alaa al-Najjar’s 10 children survived at their home near the southern city of Khan Younis. The 11-year-old and al-Najjar’s husband, also a doctor, were badly hurt.

The children’s charred remains were put in a single body bag, said a fellow pediatrician at Nasser Hospital, Alaa al-Zayan.

The home was struck minutes after Hamdi al-Najjar had driven his wife to the hospital. His brother, Ismail al-Najjar, was first to arrive at the scene.

“They were innocent children,” the brother said, the youngest 7 months old. “And my brother has no business with (Palestinian) factions.”

Israel has said “the claim regarding harm to uninvolved civilians is under review.” It blames Hamas for civilian deaths because it operates in densely populated areas.

There was no immediate comment from the military on the latest strikes. One killed a mother and two children in the central city of Deir al-Balah, according to al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital. Another in northern Gaza’s Jabaliya area killed at least five, including two women and a child, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

Also on Friday in Khan Younis, two International Committee of the Red Cross staffers were killed when shelling struck their home, the ICRC said.

“This is not an endless war,” Israel’s military chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir, said during a visit to Khan Younis. Recent ceasefire talks in Qatar gained no ground.

Hamas-led militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, in the Oct. 7 attack and abducted 251. Around a third of the remaining hostages are believed to be alive. Israel’s 19-month offensive has killed over 53,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which says women and children make up most of the dead. It does not provide figures for the number of civilians or combatants killed.

New from Hezbollah’s leader

Speaking on the anniversary of Israel’s withdrawal from southern Lebanon in 2000, Hezbollah leader Naim Kassem reiterated the Lebanese militant group’s stance that it will not discuss giving up its remaining weapons until Israel withdraws from the five border points it occupies in southern Lebanon and stops its airstrikes.

The speech came nearly six months after the latest Israel-Hezbollah war ended with a U.S.-brokered ceasefire. Under the deal, Israel and Hezbollah were supposed to withdraw forces from southern Lebanon.

Israeli officials have said they plan to remain at the five points indefinitely to secure their border. Israel has also continued to carry out near-daily airstrikes in southern Lebanon and sometimes in Beirut’s suburbs.

“We adhered completely” to the agreement, Kassem said, adding: “Don’t ask us for anything else from now on. Let Israel withdraw, stop its aggression, release the prisoners and fulfill all obligations under the agreement. After that, we will discuss each new development.”

A missile from the Houthis

Separately, Israel’s military said it intercepted a missile fired by Yemen’s Houthi rebels on Sunday. It triggered air raid sirens in Jerusalem and other areas. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

The Iran-backed Houthis have launched repeated missile attacks targeting Israel as well as international shipping in the Red Sea, portraying it as a response to Israel’s military campaign in Gaza. Most of the targeted ships had no relation to Israel or the conflict.

The United States halted a punishing bombing campaign against the Houthis earlier this month, saying the rebels had pledged to stop attacking ships. That informal ceasefire did not include attacks on Israel.

Magdy reported from Cairo. Associated Press writer Abby Sewell in Beirut contributed.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Rioters throw trash, garbage cans at ICE vehicles in New York City; multiple arrests

New York City Chaos: Rioters Target ICE Vehicles with Trash Barrage, Prompting Multiple Arrests

Authorities have confirmed that multiple arrests took place on Saturday following an…
Parolee with lengthy criminal history identified in deadly crash that killed Colorado father, 3 children

Parolee with Extensive Criminal Record Involved in Fatal Colorado Crash, Claiming Lives of Father and Three Children

Authorities have identified the victims of a devastating car crash in Colorado…
How Nazi war criminal Josef Mengele evaded capture in Latin America, revealed in declassified files

Unveiled Secrets: How Nazi War Criminal Josef Mengele Eluded Justice in Latin America

Earlier this year, Argentine President Javier Milei made significant strides in transparency…
Chicago weather forecast: Saturday was snowiest November day in Chicago's recorded history, next snow chance Monday

Chicago Shatters Records: Historic November Snow Sets Stage for More Flurries Monday

A powerful winter storm swept through Chicago and Rockford over the weekend,…
State Department warns UK over grooming gang handling: 'Unspeakable abuse'

U.S. State Department Criticizes UK’s Response to Grooming Gangs Amidst ‘Unspeakable Abuse’ Concerns

The Trump administration has issued a stern critique of the United Kingdom…
Airlines work to fix software glitch on A320 aircraft and some flights are disrupted

Airlines Address Software Glitch on A320 Aircraft, Causing Select Flight Delays

As the weekend approached, airlines globally faced a wave of flight cancellations…
New Hulu special fuses fashion and science to commemorate World AIDS Day

Hulu’s Unique Special Blends Fashion with Science in Honor of World AIDS Day

Fashion designers have long been recognized for their ability to weave narratives…
Reporter's Notebook: Thanksgiving weekend in Turkey with an American pope, next stop Lebanon

American Pope Visits Turkey for Thanksgiving, Plans Lebanon Trip Next

On Sunday morning, it was confirmed that the Vatican’s chartered Airbus 320,…
Bush-Era Susie Wiles Is Wrecking Trump’s America First Agenda

Susie Wiles: The Bush-Era Strategist Shaping Trump’s America First Policy Shake-Up

National File founder and publisher Noel Fritsch is warning that veteran GOP…
Massachusetts man accused of beating parents and setting home on fire, leaving them to die

Massachusetts Man Charged with Assaulting Parents and Allegedly Setting Their Home Ablaze

In a deeply unsettling incident, a Massachusetts man has been arrested for…
Mass shooting at Stockton, California, banquet hall leaves 4 dead, 10 wounded

Tragic Mass Shooting at Stockton Banquet Hall Claims Four Lives, Injures Ten Others

A tragic mass shooting in Stockton, California, on Saturday evening resulted in…
'It didn’t feel real': Georgia teen dances his way to New York City for Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Georgia Teen’s Dance Journey Takes Him to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City

As vibrant floats and rhythmic marching bands made their way down 34th…