Jacksonville faces investigation over illegal gun registry
Share this @internewscast.com

The State Attorney’s Office is investigating Jacksonville over illegal gun registries at City Hall and the Yates Building.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The State Attorney’s Office has begun probing Jacksonville city activities following the discovery of unauthorized gun registries kept at City Hall and the Yates Building, contravening Florida laws.

This situation came to light after Councilman Nick Howland revealed that logs listing gun owners were being maintained at public facilities without the public being informed.

Howland calling the registry “illegal” and warned taxpayers could face millions in penalties if the city is found liable.

“This is information that everyone in Jacksonville needs to know,” Howland told First Coast News. “Taxpayers could end up responsible for millions in penalties for administrative violations, and individuals might be charged with third-degree felonies due to this registry. We need to understand how this happened.”

Florida law prohibits any government agency or official from keeping a list, record or registry of privately owned firearms or their owners.

According to Eric Friday, general counsel for Florida Carry, green notebooks labeled “weapons and firearms logs” were kept in both City Hall and the Yates Building since at least July 2023.

Friday said the logs contained the names of gun owners and called the practice a “criminal offense.”

Friday also says that individuals who refused to provide protected information about firearm ownership were denied entry and barred from conducting business with the city.

“That is not acceptable,” Friday said during the meeting Monday. “We will hold government officials who break the law or violate our members’ rights accountable.”

City officials said they became aware of the registry on April 21.

The following day, the State Attorney’s Office issued an investigative subpoena to the city’s outside counsel, the Bedell Law Firm, which was quickly retained to handle potential criminal and civil penalties. Those penalties could reach up to $5 million per violation.

Some council members defended Mayor Donna Deegan, who says she took office after the policy was allegedly implemented.

“I don’t believe that the mayor personally walked in and decided that ‘I’ll create this registry,’” Councilman Rahman Johnson said. “To imply that is really misleading.”

Councilman Matt Carlucci urged unity, warning against dividing the city before all the facts are known.

“It’s almost like she’s been proven guilty before she’s had a chance to prove her innocence, and that is a great bother to me because it divides the city,” Carlucci said.

The mayor’s office sent a statement last week Friday saying the following:

“The policy in question was created and written before Mayor Deegan took office. In light of the issue that has been raised, we are undergoing a review of all policy directives, particularly those from the previous administration that were left for us on their way out. Mayor Deegan and the leadership of her administration fully support constitutionally protected rights. As we stated [Thursday], the City of Jacksonville has received and complied with a subpoena from the State Attorney’s Office. Out of respect and in full cooperation with their review, we do not have further comment at this time.”

The administration did not appear at Monday’s council meeting despite being asked to attend voluntarily.

Councilman Ron Salem called for further action, urging the council to re-request the administration’s presence or issue a subpoena if necessary.

City leaders are weighing their next steps as the investigation continues. Some have proposed forming a special investigative committee, but many agree that with the state attorney’s probe underway, it is best to wait for those findings before taking further action.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Climber charged with leaving girlfriend on Austrian mountain to freeze to death tells court she told him to 'go' and find help

Climber Defends Decision to Leave Girlfriend on Austrian Mountain, Claims She Urged Him to Seek Help

An Austrian man facing charges of manslaughter is defending himself against accusations…
White teens vindicated after woke Virginia professor accused them of hate crime -- for blasting rap music

Virginia Professor’s Hate Crime Allegation Against White Teens Dismissed in Case of Loud Rap Music

In a recent case that captured the attention of a Virginia community,…
Clayton Dietz, accused of killing adoptive father hauled into court in handcuffs

Shocking Courtroom Drama: Clayton Dietz Faces Justice in Adoptive Father’s Murder Case

An 11-year-old, described as having a youthful appearance, faced the court in…
Scott Bessent attacks Gavin Newsom: 'Glass jaw, slow brain'

Scott Bessent Slams Gavin Newsom: Unmasking the ‘Glass Jaw, Slow Brain’ Controversy

Scott Bessent recently delivered a scathing critique of Gavin Newsom, describing the…
Columbia 'punishing' graduates for anti-Israel protests by moving ceremony: students

Columbia University Faces Backlash for Relocating Graduation Amid Controversy Over Anti-Israel Protests

This year’s graduation tassel is stirring up quite the commotion at Columbia…
Fentanyl exposure scare forces courtroom evacuation during active trial

Fentanyl Exposure Shocks Courtroom: Trial Halted Amid Emergency Evacuation

In Washington state, a courtroom evacuation took place on Thursday involving nearly…
Trump gives Iran 10-day ultimatum, but experts signal talks may be buying time for strike

Trump Issues 10-Day Ultimatum to Iran; Analysts Suggest Negotiations Could Be Prelude to Possible Strike

Back in June, President Trump indicated that he would make a decision…
Woman charged with animal abandonment after leaving dog tied at JetBlue counter at Las Vegas airport

Woman Faces Charges for Abandoning Dog at JetBlue Counter in Las Vegas Airport

An unusual and distressing incident unfolded at a Las Vegas airport when…
Pritzker campaign letter demands $8.6 billion refund for Illinois families after SCOTUS strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs

Pritzker Pushes for $8.6 Billion Refund for Illinois Families Following Supreme Court’s Tariff Ruling

CHICAGO (WLS) — Governor JB Pritzker’s campaign office issued a statement on…
Multiple suspects are possible in Nancy Guthrie's abduction

Authorities Investigate Multiple Suspects in Nancy Guthrie Abduction Case

In Tucson, Arizona, authorities investigating the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, the mother…
How extreme cold is affecting Americans’ lives, according to a new AP-NORC poll

New AP-NORC Poll Reveals Impact of Severe Cold on Daily Life in America

WASHINGTON — As 2026 began, North America found itself in the grip…
Lake Tahoe ski deaths mount as two killed at Heavenly Mountain Resort -- days after avalanche

Tragic Ski Fatalities at Heavenly Mountain Resort: Two More Lives Lost Following Recent Avalanche

In the Lake Tahoe region, the tragic toll of skiing accidents continues…