Tufts University student arrest: Top Dems want answers from Noem, Rubio, ICE on 'deeply troubling' incident
Share this @internewscast.com

On Friday, a federal judge refused a request from the Trump administration to either dismiss or relocate a case concerning a doctoral student from Tufts University who is from Turkey and is currently held by immigration authorities. Instead, the case proceedings were transferred to Vermont. 

Judge Denise Casper denied the government’s request to dismiss the case against Rumeysa Öztürk or move it to the Western District of Louisiana.

“Although the Petition raises serious issues as to the conduct of her arrest and detention as alleged in each of these Counts, before reaching the merits of the Petition, the Court must first address the parties’ dispute about its jurisdiction,” stated Casper’s order. 

The order further stated: “The Court denies the government’s motion to dismiss this Petition or its request to transfer this matter to the Western District of Louisiana and, relying upon the ‘interest of justice’… transfers this matter to the District of Vermont, where Ozturk was confined overnight at the time that the Petition was filed.”

Rumeysa Ozturk detained

Rumeysa Öztürk, a 30-year-old doctoral student at Tufts University, was detained by Department of Homeland Security agents on a street in Sommerville, Massachusetts, on Tuesday, March 25. (AP)

A DHS spokesperson previously told Fox News Digital that she was “granted the privilege to be in this country on a visa” and that “DHS and ICE investigations found Ozturk engaged in activities in support of Hamas, a foreign terrorist organization that relishes the killing of Americans.” 

In March 2024, Öztürk co-authored an op-ed in the Tufts Daily, calling on the university to divest from Israel.

Öztürk’s Massachusetts attorney accused the Trump administration of “forum shopping,” saying that ICE moved the student to Louisiana, where courts might be less favorable toward her case.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office argued that federal authorities moved Öztürk to Louisiana because there was no available room in Massachusetts to hold her until trial. They said that she was first sent to Vermont, but later moved to Louisiana.

Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House, ICE and the Department of Homeland Security for comment. 

You May Also Like

Michelle Williams of ‘Dying For Sex’ Remains Unclear on Marcello Hernandez’s Use of “Clasp” In Sex Scene

FX’s Dying For Sex chronicles a woman’s adventurous path to self-discovery. Upon…

Seattle Teen Who Fatally Injured Woman and Three Children in 112mph Crash Faces Surprisingly Lenient Sentence

The Seattle teenager who killed a mom and three children while driving…

South Korean President Ousted Four Months After Implementing Martial Law

South Korea’s Constitutional Court made the decision on Friday to remove President…

Groundbreaking Discovery: New Evidence Suggests Ancient Underground City Beneath Egypt’s Giza Pyramids, Could Rewrite History

A new development in the mystery of a purported city beneath Egypt’s…

Erased from History: Black Republican Cropped Out by Cleveland Plain Dealer in DeWine’s Anti-DEI Bill Signing

We’ve known since the Reagan years, at least – probably back to…

Prominent MAGA Supporters Criticize Trump on Tariffs, Predicting a ‘Political Crisis’

The MAGA movement faces a turning point as loyal conservatives publicly question…

The US Senate Approves Dr. Mehmet Oz as Head of Medicare and Medicaid Agency

WASHINGTON — Former heart surgeon and TV pitchman Dr. Mehmet Oz was…

Amusing Challenges Faced by MSNBC Staff as Network’s Budget Cuts Intensify

MSNBC stars and contributors have reportedly had to endure several indignities as…

Can Tariffs Under Trump Revive U.S. Manufacturing? The Solution May Be Complex and Slow

Even with unlimited funding and political will, it takes years to reskill…

March Hiring Slows Ahead of Expected Impact from Trump Tariffs

The federal government will release the latest monthly jobs report Friday —…

Courageous Swordsman Exposes Alarming Pro-Trans Bias in the World of Competitive Fencing

The female fencer disqualified for refusing to fight a biological male opponent…

Mexico to release sewage into Tijuana River as US remains affected: Official

Mexico plans to release approximately 400 million gallons of sewage into the…