LA county reaches tentative $828M agreement to settle 400 more claims of sexual abuse
Share this @internewscast.com


Los Angeles County has reached a preliminary agreement worth $828 million to resolve over 400 new sexual abuse claims against its employees, officials announced on Friday. This comes several months after the county approved what is considered the largest sexual abuse settlement in U.S. history.

This new agreement awaits ratification by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. Earlier in April, the county sanctioned a monumental $4 billion settlement addressing thousands of sexual abuse claims tied to juvenile facilities, dating back to 1959.

Meanwhile, the county is probing allegations that some individuals who benefited from the $4 billion settlement were compensated for filing claims. An investigation by the Los Angeles Times revealed that nine plaintiffs admitted to receiving payments to sue, with four acknowledging their claims were fraudulent.

In announcing the latest settlement, county officials emphasized that each claim’s authenticity will be scrutinized. Plaintiffs found to have submitted fraudulent claims will be disqualified from receiving any settlement funds.

The ability for these plaintiffs to file lawsuits stems from a California law enacted in 2020, which temporarily lifted the statute of limitations for childhood sex abuse victims, allowing them to bring forward cases within a three-year period.

Thousands have filed lawsuits alleging they suffered mistreatment and sexual abuse while in foster care and juvenile detention centers across Los Angeles County.

Initially the $4 billion agreement was to settle 7,000 claims but that grew to 11,000, officials said. The county said it now faces as many as 2,500 additional cases beyond those covered by the two settlements and that the total number of claims could run as high as 14,000 or more. Officials said the settlements were causing financial strain for the county.

If the latest settlement is approved, individual awards will be determined based on factors including the severity of abuse alleged, the county said.

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Chair Kathryn Barger said the system is vulnerable to fraud but officials are strengthening their review process to ensure settlement money only goes to victims of the abuse.

The county said to prevent fraud, every plaintiff must complete a detailed, multipage summary, under penalty of perjury, of the abuse suffered, and additional proof may be asked of anyone suspected of fraud.

Claims brought by the law firm, DTLA Law Group, in the April settlement will undergo additional scrutiny, officials said.

Some of the plaintiffs represented by the firm told the Los Angeles Times they were offered cash to submit claims. The firm has denied any wrongdoing. Those plaintiffs could be asked to do additional interviews and provide more proof of allegations, depending on the nature of the claim and the suspected fraud, the county said.

The county may also refer attorneys accused of paying for claims to the state bar for possible disciplinary action, officials said.

“The conduct alleged to have occurred by the DTLA firm is absolutely outrageous and must be investigated by the appropriate authorities. Not only does it undermine our justice system, it also deprives legitimate claimants of just compensation,” said Dawyn R. Harrison, the county’s counsel. “While both settlements have protections to ensure that this is not a windfall for fraudulent plaintiffs, legislative protections must be put in place to ensure unscrupulous lawyers don’t get windfalls at the expense of survivors of abuse.”

DTLA Law Group said in a statement that it filtered through nearly 13,000 inquiries and only accepted a fraction of the cases.

“We do not pay our clients to file lawsuits, and we strongly oppose such actions. If we ever became aware that anyone associated with us, in any capacity, did such a thing, we would end our relationship with them immediately,” the firm said. “We want justice for real victims.”

The county’s ability to assess the validity of allegations was hampered by a lack of records, the sheer number of cases and court ordered limits on legal discovery, officials said.

The county has also put into place more safeguards to prevent abuse and act quickly if it does occur. That includes a new hotline for reporting child sexual abuse allegations against county employees that is expected to be in place by year’s end.

The $4 billion settlement in April far surpassed a $2.6 billion settlement reached in 2022 with Boy Scouts of America that was the largest aggregate sexual abuse settlement in U.S. history at the time.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Pope Leo tours Istanbul's famous Blue Mosque, declines to pray alongside imam

Pope Leo Visits Istanbul’s Iconic Blue Mosque, Chooses Not to Pray with Imam

Pope Leo XIV visited Istanbul’s renowned Blue Mosque on Saturday, choosing to…
Local Spotlight: Pick a Medicare Advantage Plan, Here's What to Consider

Community Focus: Key Considerations for Choosing a Medicare Advantage Plan

CHICAGO — As the deadline to choose a Medicare Advantage Plan approaches,…
Criminal networks exploit US interstates to make human trafficking victims vanish: ‘Real plague’

Uncovering the Hidden Highway: How Criminal Networks Exploit US Interstates for Human Trafficking

An alarming crisis is spreading across the nation’s roadways, leading to the…
Train pushes car quarter-mile on tracks as 82-year-old driver suffers minor injuries

Elderly Driver Survives After Train Drags Car for Quarter-Mile on Tracks

In a remarkable incident this week in New Jersey, an elderly woman…
Hegseth slams report on boat strike targeting attack survivors, denies war crimes

Hegseth Criticizes Allegations of Boat Strike on Attack Survivors, Refutes War Crime Claims

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has vehemently dismissed allegations suggesting that he commanded…
Parolee with lengthy criminal history identified in deadly crash that killed Colorado father, 3 children

Parolee with Extensive Criminal Record Involved in Fatal Colorado Crash, Claiming Lives of Father and Three Children

Authorities have identified the victims of a devastating car crash in Colorado…
CIA‑Linked Zero Unit Fighter Accused of Killing DC National Guard

Shocking Allegations: CIA-Linked Operative Tied to DC National Guard’s Fatal Incident

A former CIA-backed Afghan commando accused of gunning down two West Virginia…
Zootopia 2: Meet the voices behind some new characters in Disney-animated sequel, including Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan

Disney Unveils New Voices for ‘Zootopia 2’: Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan Join the Animated Sequel

LOS ANGELES — Disney’s highly anticipated “Zootopia 2” is making waves at…
New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting as soldier clings to life

Shocking Footage Released: DC National Guard Incident Leaves Soldier Critically Injured

New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting Fox News correspondent Madeleine…
Dad fights off repeat offender accused of creeping toward kids as family slept – ‘Somebody’s in our house’

Brave Dad Confronts Intruder Threatening Family’s Safety While They Slept

A family in Denver recently experienced a scenario that would send chills…
New White House Media Bias Website Just Turned On the Floodlights

White House Launches Comprehensive Media Bias Website to Illuminate News Reporting

President Donald Trump, at his core, remains a marketing strategist. His sharp…
Giants and Patriots remain as intertwined as ever going into ‘Monday Night Football’

Giants vs. Patriots: A Historic Rivalry Takes Center Stage on Monday Night Football

Few sports rivalries are as deeply connected as that between the Giants…