Share this @internewscast.com

A South Florida man has been sentenced to six years in prison after fraudulently obtaining nearly $4 million in federal loans meant for small businesses impacted by the coronavirus pandemic and spending it on personal expenses, including a Lamborghini.

David Tyler Hines, 29, of Miami was sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty back in February to one count of wire fraud related to the scheme, the Justice Department said.

David Hines, 29, used the money meant to support businesses impacted by the pandemic on a 2020 Lamborghini Huracan, dating we



David Hines, 29, used the money meant to support businesses impacted by the pandemic on a 2020 Lamborghini Huracan, dating websites and jewelry, authorities said.

Authorities said Hines requested approximately $13.5 million in Paycheck Protection Program loans using false and fraudulent IRS forms early last year. He successfully secured $3.9 million from the federal government and within a few days he began blowing the money on personal expenses, including on a 2020 Lamborghini Huracan for $318,000.

Authorities said Hines spent $318,000 of the PPP loan money on a 2020 Lamborghini Huracan. A Lamborghini Huracan Evo RWD spor



Authorities said Hines spent $318,000 of the PPP loan money on a 2020 Lamborghini Huracan. A Lamborghini Huracan Evo RWD sports car is seen at an automobile exhibition in China in 2020.

The money also went to dating websites, jewelry and stays at a local resort. Two payments totaling $30,000 were also documented as going to “mom,” according to the criminal complaint.

The sports car and $3.4 million were ultimately seized following an investigation into the scam, authorities said.

Hines’ Lamborghini purchase was discovered by investigators after he was involved in a hit-and-run accident involving the vehicle back in July. The Lamborghini was linked back to Hines and impounded by Miami police, the Miami Herald previously reported.

PPP loan scams are unfortunately nothing new, with a Southern California man arrested on Friday after allegedly obtaining roughly $5 million in PPP loans and spending a portion of the money on Ferrari, Bentley and Lamborghini sports cars, federal prosecutors said.

The Justice Department in March said it has criminally charged hundreds of people with violations related to the PPP or Economic Injury Disaster Loan programs. A memo released by House Democrats that same month, citing the Justice Department, tallied 173 criminal cases involving 242 defendants for such violations. The PPP charges amounted to $446.8 million in losses.

Source: huffpost

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Mothers Call for Halt on Enforcement of Trump’s Birthright Citizenship Order

President Donald Trump addresses a joint press conference with Elon Musk in…

Teen Tried as Adult in Failed Marijuana Robbery That Ended in Murder

A 16-year-old boy from Indiana is facing adult charges of murder following…

Released Suspect Detained Again for Mop Handle Assault on Store Clerk

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – D’Andre Vanshon Jemel Anderson, 29, was taken…

NSW Police Officer Assaulted During Welfare Check

A man is in custody after two female police officers were allegedly…

Philadelphia Bar Shooting: 2 Critically Injured, 6 Others Hurt

Eight people were injured during a mass shooting at a bar in…

Mom Allegedly Got High While Fire Claimed Her Children: Police Report

Background: The 1800 block of Cantwell Court in Raleigh, North Carolina, in…

Mother Sentenced to 20 Years for Mistreating Her Toddlers

Samantha Woods (Jackson County Sheriff”s Office). An Alabama woman will spend just…

Teen Arrested in Connection with Fatal Stabbing of Western Australia Father

Tawhai Walker Loughlin turned 18 just two months ago but could now…

Two Teens Face Charges Following Alleged Joyride Across Four Sydney Suburbs

Two teenagers have been charged after a police pursuit through Sydney‘s west.…

Gainesville Resident Accused of Assaulting 14-Year-Old Runaway

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 26-year-old named McNish Mathis Tuzon Hampton…

Tragic Hit-and-Run at Fireworks Show Claims Life of 3-Year-Old Boy

Background: The location of the accident at Lyndon Street and Merriman Road…

‘Arson Attack and Protest in Melbourne Condemned by Jewish Leaders as ‘Appalling Crimes”

Leaders of the Jewish community have called for action after separate attacks…