Share this @internewscast.com
FBI becomes lead investigator in Alex Pretti shooting
Fox News correspondent Madeleine Rivera appeared on ‘Fox & Friends Weekend’ to shed light on the FBI’s ongoing investigation into the shooting of Alex Pretti, as well as Border Czar Tom Homan’s initiatives to ease tensions in Minneapolis.
The leader of a Minnesota investigative unit probing the death of Alex Pretti has criticized the FBI for its “lack of cooperation,” describing it as both “concerning and unprecedented.”
Drew Evans, Superintendent of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, announced that the FBI officially informed his agency on Friday that it will not share any information or evidence related to the January 24 shooting of Alex Pretti.
Evans further stated, “The BCA has reiterated its request to obtain information, access to evidence, and cooperation regarding the January 7 shooting of Renee Good and the January 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis. It remains uncertain whether any cooperation or information sharing will occur for these cases.”
He emphasized, “Despite this concerning and unprecedented lack of cooperation, the BCA remains dedicated to conducting thorough, independent, and transparent investigations of these incidents, even if hindered by limited access to crucial information and evidence.”

A video screenshot captures a law enforcement officer using irritants on Alex Pretti moments before he was fatally shot by federal agents in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on January 24, 2026. (Reuters)
Evans also said, “Our agency has committed to the FBI and Department of Justice that should its stance change we remain willing to share information that we have obtained with that agency and would welcome a joint investigation,” and, “We will continue to pursue all legal avenues to gain access to relevant information and evidence.”
When asked Tuesday for comment, the FBI referred Fox News Digital to remarks that Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche made on Jan. 30, the day he announced that the Justice Department opened a civil rights investigation in the shooting death of Pretti.
“We’re looking at everything that would shed light on what happened that day and in the days and weeks leading up to what happened,” Blanche said during a news conference. “That’s like any investigation that the Department of Justice and the FBI do every day. It means we’re looking at video, talking to witnesses, trying to understand what happened.”
A U.S. Border Patrol agent shot and killed Pretti, an ICU nurse at a VA hospital, while he was recording federal officers on a street in Minneapolis.

Images of Alex Pretti and Renee Nicole Good are displayed during a forum held by Democratic lawmakers on use of force by Department of Homeland Security agents, on Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2026. (Stefani Reynolds/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Federal officials initially said Pretti approached immigration agents with a 9 mm handgun and resisted when they tried to disarm him, but eyewitness accounts and bystander video raise questions about the government’s version of events.
At the time, Border Patrol agents were conducting enforcement operations in the area when civilians blew whistles and shouted, forcing authorities to tell the crowd to stay on the sidewalk in order to steer clear of law enforcement activity.
Good was shot and killed by an ICE agent in Minneapolis in early January. Authorities said she used her car to try to run over federal officers during an enforcement operation.

People mourn at a makeshift memorial in the area where 37-year-old Alex Pretti was shot dead by federal agents in Minneapolis on Jan. 24. (Roberto Schmidt/AFP via Getty Images)
Sosa-Celis is a Venezuelan national accused of assaulting an ICE officer during a chaotic Minneapolis arrest last month.