Workplace Relations Minister Murray Watt
Share this @internewscast.com

The federal government has demanded clarity from the Bureau of Meteorology regarding the staggering $92 million discrepancy in the reported costs of their newly launched website, which has faced significant public criticism.

Stuart Minchin, the Bureau’s newly appointed chief, disclosed that the comprehensive project expenses reached a total of $96.5 million. This figure vastly exceeds the previously reported $4.1 million, which only covered the redesign of the website’s front-end interface.

Among the costs, a substantial $78 million was allocated to a contract with Accenture Australia, reflecting the broader scope of the project.

Workplace Relations Minister Murray Watt
Environment Minister Murray Watt was not happy to learn of the cost blowout. (Alex Ellinghausen)

“The remaining expenditure covers the essential overhaul and rigorous testing of the systems and technology that form the website’s foundation,” Minchin explained in a statement. “This ensures the platform is secure, stable, and capable of processing the extensive data from our observing network and weather models.”

Expressing dissatisfaction, Environment Minister Murray Watt, who supervises the Bureau of Meteorology, voiced his concern over the financial overrun.

“The initial estimate of around $4 million provided by the Bureau was related to a single aspect of the website’s development,” Watt clarified to ABC.

“It’s a matter for them why they chose to provide that figure rather than a broader figure.

“But there’s no doubt that there have been increases in the cost of this website as it’s been developed, and one of the things I have asked the new CEO of the BoM to get on top of is what happened here.”

Watt has met with Minchin twice since he took on the Bureau’s top role a fortnight ago, first to raise concerns about criticisms of the new website and a second time to discuss the total cost figures.

“I’m looking forward to a bit of a change in the culture and the approach of the BoM,” he said, throwing his support behind Minchin to “get on top of this and drive some change”.

“If there are lessons around future procurements that are needed, then we need to know what they are.”

The federal government has asked the Bureau of Meteorology to explain why the total bill for their unpopular new website cost $92 million more than the agency previously stated.
The federal government has asked the Bureau of Meteorology to explain why the total bill for their unpopular new website cost $92 million more than the agency previously stated. (Bureau of Meteorology)

The Bureau of Meteorology’s website, which is one of the most visited sites in Australia, was last upgraded under Kevin Rudd’s first term as prime minister and found to have vulnerabilities after a cyber intrusion in 2015.

The redesigned website went live on October 22 under former chief Andrew Johnson and was met with heavy criticism over usability issues, including difficulties finding features, and complaints about the rain radar and weather map.

The federal government ordered the Bureau of Meteorology to fix the website, with some changes already made.

Minchin said a website update was scheduled to go live last week, but was postponed due to the severe Tropical Cyclone Fina off the Northern Territory coast.

The update will respond directly to community feedback received during the beta phase, with a focus on making the rain radar and weather map easier to use.

It will also include video tutorials, website help and troubleshooting to help users navigate the site. 

Dr Stuart Minchin, new chief executive of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology.
Dr Stuart Minchin, new chief executive of the Bureau of Meteorology. (Alex Ellinghausen)

“Given this [$96.5 million] investment, it’s vital we get it right,” he said in a statement.

“I want to assure you that our dedicated teams are working hard to continue delivering website updates and improvements as quickly as possible.”

The Bureau of Meteorology’s new website update will be rescheduled as soon as the severe weather subsides, with a date to be announced soon. 

Read Also: South Park Takes a Hilarious Jab at Secretary of War Pete Hegseth: A Must-Watch Episode!

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Massive Industrial Inferno Rages in Western Sydney: Firefighters Brace for Days-Long Battle

In Sydney’s western region, an intense factory blaze saw around 200 firefighters…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Rising Tensions: What It Means for Global Relations

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…
ChatGPT is about to get a lot hornier

Exciting Updates: ChatGPT Introduces More Engaging Features

ChatGPT is on the verge of undergoing a transformation that could make…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle as Climate Activists Rally for Change

In a bold display of civil disobedience, climate change activists have once…
Award-winning British playwright dead at the age of 88

Renowned British Playwright Passes Away at 88

Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his witty and thought-provoking works,…
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house

Brave Uber Driver Halts Ride to Courageously Rescue Residents from Burning Home

An Uber driver unexpectedly halted a passenger’s trip to dash into a…

From Private Messages to Wedding Bells: The Rabbitohs Love Story Behind Australia’s ‘Royal Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…
Hanson addresses immigration rally in Melbourne

Breaking News: Hanson Speaks Out at Melbourne Rally – Unveiling Her Stance on Immigration

Pauline Hanson, the leader of One Nation, recently led an anti-immigration protest,…
Rugby league great Nathan Wood (right) has opened up on being diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)

Football Star Courageously Shares Diagnosis of Severe Brain Disease with His Mother; Her Reaction is Profound

Former NRL athlete Nat Wood has courageously shared his struggle with thoughts…

Government Stalled: Public Outcry as Critical Reforms Remain Unaddressed

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…
Jetstar

Jetstar Passengers Face New Delays Amid Urgent Airbus Repairs

Thousands of Airbus aircraft are currently grounded due to a major recall,…