Ontario premier says he'll pull ad that upset Trump so trade talks between Canada and US can resume


Ontario Premier Withdraws Controversial Ad to Reopen Canada-US Trade Dialogues

TORONTO (AP) — The Premier of Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, announced on Friday that he will withdraw an anti-tariff advertisement that led to U.S. President Donald Trump halting trade negotiations with Canada.

After discussions with Prime Minister Mark Carney, Ontario Premier Doug Ford decided to suspend the ad campaign starting Monday to pave the way for the resumption of trade discussions.

President Trump had declared an end to “all trade negotiations” with Canada, citing displeasure over a television advertisement funded by Ontario. The ad, which featured quotes from former President Ronald Reagan, was critical of U.S. tariffs.

“We’ve accomplished our objective by capturing the attention of U.S. audiences, including those at the highest levels,” Ford stated.

He added that the campaign aimed to spark a dialogue about the type of economy Americans aspire to create and how tariffs affect workers and businesses.

Despite the suspension, Ford noted that the commercials would continue airing over the weekend, including during the initial World Series games featuring the Toronto Blue Jays and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“I’ve directed my team to keep putting our message in front of Americans over the weekend so that we can air our commercial during the first two World Series games,” he said.

Indeed, the ad aired Friday night during the seventh inning of Fox’s national broadcast of Game 1. The Blue Jays were leading 11-4.

On Thursday Trump posted, “The Ronald Reagan Foundation has just announced that Canada has fraudulently used an advertisement, which is FAKE, featuring Ronald Reagan speaking negatively about Tariffs.”

Trump doubled down on his criticism of the Ontario ads Friday and accused Canada of trying to influence an upcoming U.S. Supreme Court ruling on his global tariff regime.

Trump’s call for an abrupt end to negotiations has further inflamed trade tensions between the neighbors and longtime allies.

Carney said this week he aims to double his country’s exports to countries outside the U.S. because of the threat posed by Trump’s tariffs. Canadian officials remain ready to continue talks to reduce tariffs in certain sectors, he said.

“We can’t control the trade policy of the United States. We recognize that that policy has fundamentally changed from the 1980s,” Carney said Friday morning before boarding a flight to Asia. “We have to focus on what we can control and realize what we can’t control.”

Carney is trying to secure a trade deal with Trump, but tariffs are taking a toll in the aluminum, steel, auto and lumber sectors.

Carney spoke to Ford Thursday night and again Friday.

White House spokesman Kush Desai said talks with Canada have not led to any constructive progress.

“Ontario’s taxpayer-funded ad campaign on American TV networks — that misleadingly edited President Reagan’s 1987 radio address about trade — is the latest example of how Canadian officials would rather play games than engage with the Administration,” Desai said in a statement.

“As President Trump made clear on Truth Social, further talks are a futile effort if Canada can’t be serious.”

The Ontario government has said it would pay about $75 million Canadian (US$54 million) for the ads to air across multiple American television stations using audio and video of Reagan speaking about tariffs in 1987.

Ford said earlier this week he had heard that Trump had seen the ad.

“I’m sure he wasn’t too happy,” Ford said.

He said the aim is to “blast” the pro-trade message to Americans.

“It’s real, because it was coming from the best president the country’s ever seen, Ronald Reagan,” Ford said. “I feel the Reagan Republicans are going to be fighting with the MAGA group, and let’s hope, Reagan Republicans win.”

Ford is a populist conservative who doesn’t belong to the same party as Carney, a Liberal.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew and British Columbia Premier David Eby backed Ford.

“It’s clear that these ads are working. If you throw a rock at a lake and you don’t hear a splash, you probably missed. So to my good friend Doug Ford, keep the ads on TV. They’re effective, and this country is behind you,” Kinew said.

Daniel Béland, a political science professor at McGill University in Montreal, said the ad has backfired “big time.”

Trump has been threatening Canada’s economy and sovereignty with tariffs, most offensively by claiming Canada could be “the 51st state.”

Jason Kenney, a former Conservative cabinet minister under ex-Prime Minister Stephen Harper, called Trump’s posts “just embarrassing.”

“The Ontario ad does not misrepresent President Reagan’s anti-tariff radio address in any respect whatsoever. It is a direct replay of his radio address, formatted for a one minute ad,” Kenney posted on social media.

Kenney also took aim at the Reagan Foundation, saying it “now has gormless leadership which is easily intimidated by a call from the White House, yet another sign of the hugely corrosive influence of Trump on the American conservative movement.”

You May Also Like

Florida Primary Results: Donalds, Wasserman Schultz, Moskowitz - Internewscast Journal

Florida Primary Results: Donalds, Wasserman Schultz, Moskowitz

Rep. Byron Donalds claimed the Republican nomination for Florida governor on Tuesday…
Arizona Teen Dies After Being Beaten Unconscious at Park Soccer Game Days Before Starting College - Internewscast Journal

Arizona Teen Dies After Being Beaten Unconscious at Park Soccer Game Days Before Starting College

An Arizona teenager was beaten to death after a pickup soccer game…
Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report - Internewscast Journal

Massachusetts Woman Sought as Armed and Dangerous After Police Officer Husband Found Dead at Home: Report

Authorities in Massachusetts are searching for a woman described as “armed and…
Wild Turkeys Blamed for Coastal California Power Outages - Internewscast Journal

Wild Turkeys Blamed for Coastal California Power Outages

A scenic stretch of California’s Central Coast has been hit by an…
Harvard to Pay $53M in Donated Bodies Black Market Suit - Internewscast Journal

Harvard to Pay $53M in Donated Bodies Black Market Suit

Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million to resolve a disturbing…
Trump-Backed Harriet Hageman Wins Wyoming GOP Senate Primary - Internewscast Journal

Trump-Backed Harriet Hageman Wins Wyoming GOP Senate Primary

Rep. Harriet Hageman (R-WY) moved significantly closer to claiming Wyoming’s next U.S.…
Two workers killed, several injured after explosions tear through Ohio recycling facility

Ohio Recycling Plant Blasts Kill 2 Workers, Injure Several

Two employees died and several others were hurt after a pair of…
Beloved mom of 3 killed when massive tree crashes onto SUV in freak highway accident

Mom of 3 Killed as Massive Tree Crushes SUV on Highway

A tragic highway accident in Ohio claimed the life of a mother…
Massive brawl erupts at Wisconsin State Fair as seven arrested during chaotic closing hours

Wisconsin State Fair Brawl Leaves 7 Arrested After Chaos Erupts During Closing Hours

Large fights broke out at the Wisconsin State Fair as the event…
US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases - Internewscast Journal

US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a Tijuana resident was…
Microsoft Executive’s Widow Confronts Alleged Murder Plotter, Reveals Haunting Final Call - Internewscast Journal

Microsoft Executive’s Widow Confronts Alleged Murder Plotter, Reveals Haunting Final Call

The widow of Microsoft executive Jared Bridegan confronted in court Monday the…
Tyler Robinson Rarely Hit Bullseye in Practice, Put Bystanders at Risk in Kirk Shooting, Prosecutors Say - Internewscast Journal

Tyler Robinson Rarely Hit Bullseye in Practice, Put Bystanders at Risk in Kirk Shooting, Prosecutors Say

Kirk family faces accused assassin in Utah court for preliminary hearing Fox…