Fury erupts after accused teen sex predator dodges prison; families swarm courthouse demanding judge’s head

In Oklahoma, public outrage is mounting over the judicial handling of a teenager accused of multiple violent sexual assaults, as he manages to evade prison time. This has led to a wave of protests outside a courthouse, with many questioning the justice system’s decisions.

On Wednesday, more than a hundred demonstrators gathered at the Payne County Courthouse, brandishing signs as they voiced their demand for justice. The protests erupted following 18-year-old Jesse Butler’s avoidance of prison, thanks to Oklahoma’s youthful offender law, according to The Oklahoman.

“Ponca Tribal Victim Services stands with survivors in demanding justice,” the organization declared on Facebook. They insisted that “Jesse Butler needs to be held accountable” and called for the disbarment of Payne County Judge Susan Worthington, who presided over the case.

The fervent demonstrations came after a surge of online and community anger. Butler, who pleaded no contest to several charges of sexual assault, received a 78-year sentence. However, this sentence was suspended under the youthful offender statute, allowing him to remain free if he completes a court-mandated rehabilitation program.

Crowd gathers outside Payne County Courthouse

Images captured the scene of the protest at the Payne County Courthouse in Stillwater, Oklahoma, on November 5, 2025, as demonstrators expressed their dissatisfaction with the case outcome. The photographs were taken by Nathan J. Fish of The Oklahoman/USA Today Network via Imagn Images.

In anticipation of the protests, Stillwater Public Schools took precautionary measures. A spokesperson revealed to Fox News Digital that school staff collaborated with police the previous week to prepare for potential demonstrations. They designated specific areas for protestors and media, and increased the presence of officers on campus to ensure safety.

“We condemn sexual assault and violence in all its forms,” the school district shared in a statement. “Our thoughts, prayers and hopes for justice are with the victims in our community and everywhere.”

The Stillwater Police Department said in a release it is working with Stillwater Public Schools to investigate “recent phone calls and messages to the district regarding the enrollment of student Jesse Butler.”

“While the language used in the phone calls and messages are vague and not directed at specific school sites, students or staff, all concerning communications and any potential threats are taken seriously and investigated fully,” the department wrote.

Jesse Butler protest sign

A protester raises a sign that says “Hold Jesse Responsible” during a demonstration outside the courthouse in Stillwater, Okla., Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2025. (Nathan J. Fish/The Oklahoman/USA Today Network via Imagn Images)

Authorities said additional patrols have been added out of an abundance of caution. Butler, who was previously a Stillwater student, does not attend in person and is barred from school property and events, police confirmed.

A newly released body camera video shows the moment Butler was arrested last year, part of an investigation that began after multiple girls accused him of brutal sexual assaults.

WATCH: Police bodycam shows arrest of Oklahoma teen Jesse Butler 

Then 17, Butler pleaded no contest to 10 rape-related charges and one count of violating a protective order. Although he received a 78-year sentence, the term was suspended under Oklahoma’s youthful offender law, allowing him to remain free if he meets strict rehabilitation terms.

Victims’ families and community members have condemned the outcome. Some protesters on Wednesday held signs noting Butler’s connection to Oklahoma State University in Stillwater, where his father is the former director of football operations.

People hold signs protesting Jesse Butler sentence

Opponents of Jesse Butler hold signs denouncing the court’s decision outside the Payne County Courthouse in Stillwater, Okla., Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2025. (Nathan J. Fish/The Oklahoman/USA Today Network via Imagn Images)

“As a mom, I never thought I’d have to watch my daughter fight this kind of battle, one where she had to prove she was the victim over and over again,” one mother told KOCO. “The justice system failed her.”

One victim said Butler strangled her, and a doctor warned that she could have died had it lasted “seconds longer,” according to a police affidavit reviewed by Fox News Digital.

Jesse Mack Butler

Jesse Butler in a baseball uniform before the criminal allegations came to light. (Risin Baseball)

The Payne County District Attorney’s Office said the decision to pursue the case under the youthful offender law was based on Butler’s age at the time of the crimes. The office said the law allows supervision “until the defendant’s 19th birthday” and gives a chance for rehabilitation “while still holding him accountable.”

Rep. Justin “JJ” Humphrey, R-Okla., called the ruling “unacceptable” and said he plans to petition for a grand jury review.

“If that don’t set you on fire, your wood’s wet,” Humphrey previously told Fox News Digital. “You know what I mean? You’ve got a bad deal. That sets me on fire.”

Court documents show Butler remains under Office of Juvenile Affairs supervision, required to complete therapy, counseling, more than 100 hours of community service, daily check-ins and weekly sessions. He’s banned from social media and subject to curfew restrictions.

If Butler violates any terms, the court could enforce his full 78-year sentence. His next hearing is scheduled for Dec. 8 in Payne County District Court.

Stepheny Price covers crime, including missing persons, homicides and migrant crime. Send story tips to stepheny.price@fox.com.

You May Also Like

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String - Internewscast Journal

Minneapolis Police Probe Third Body in Three-Day Death String

Authorities in Minneapolis are investigating a series of body recoveries across the…
Hurricanes Goalie Brandon Bussi Brings the Cup Home to Long Island - Internewscast Journal

Hurricanes Goalie Brandon Bussi Brings the Cup Home to Long Island

Talk about bringing everyone onto the same ice. Hurricanes goaltender Brandon Bussi…
Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ - Internewscast Journal

Historic Keasbey Fire Department Dissolved After 118 Years Serving Woodbridge, NJ

A century-old firehouse has been extinguished. A New Jersey fire department that…
Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win - Internewscast Journal

Judge Weighs New Trial for Karmelo Anthony After Legal Win

A Texas judge is set to weigh on Thursday whether teenager Karmelo…
Virginia county expecting its data centers to bring in $1.3B haul in tax revenue

Virginia County Expects Data Centers to Generate $1.3B Tax Revenue Windfall

In one of Virginia’s most affluent counties, the rapid rise of data…
Bloodied, ejected Marine Corps pilot seen calm and collected after Washington crash destroys aircraft

Bloodied Marine Pilot Calm After Ejecting in Washington Crash

Newly released bodycam video shows Marine Corps F-18 pilot Maj. Jackson Simon…
Lindsay Clancy Needs 24/7 Suicide Watch, Psychologist Says - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy Needs 24/7 Suicide Watch, Psychologist Says

Lindsay Clancy experiences “bad days and worse days” inside the hospital where…
Colorado black bear dies after becoming trapped inside unlocked car for days: report

Colorado Black Bear Found Dead After Days Trapped Inside Unlocked Car, Report Says

A black bear in Colorado was found dead after apparently spending days…
Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts - Internewscast Journal

Teacher Found Dead With Throat Slit as Husband’s Story Shifts

A Colorado elementary school teacher was discovered dead inside her Lakewood home,…
Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania - Internewscast Journal

Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania

A midair crash Wednesday evening between a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter and…
Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal

Karmelo Anthony, who was previously convicted in the murder of 17-year-old Austin…
Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…